Question About Releasing From Look Keo Sprint Pedals

Mar 2003

Question About Releasing From Look Keo Sprint Pedals

I have been riding Look pedals pretty much since they first came out. Just installed some new Keo Sprints yesterday. I installed the red cleats. I basically just took the bike for a spin around the block but I immediately noticed that releasing from the pedal was more difficult. Seemed to require more twist and more force to twist out. Is this because of the float? My PP396 has always been used with the red cleats and things snap out easily. Seems as if I half snap out when I release and that I need a more forceful twist to get out completely. And this is with the factory minimal tension setting too.

Granted I have not really ridden them yet, but I am curious if it's me or others have felt this too. Hope it's not the red cleat, because I ordered and extra set of red online that hasn't arrived yet. I have the grey cleats too that came with the pedals but have not tried them yet.

Apr 2006
    Try lowering the tension by turning the screw on the top of the pedal. That would just be my first thought. I haven't had any problems with my sprints but I ride with the grey cleats, and I don't notice that they are any harder to get in and out of than my old look pedals.

Mar 2003
    Factory tension comes at lowest setting. So it's there now.

I could put the grey ones on and try them to see the difference, was hoping someone here found similar experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I bought the exact same pedals a month ago and I couldn't for the life of me unclip with out really twisting my foot using the red cleats. It seemed like I had to twist my foot almost 45 degrees or so to get out of them. So I switched them with the grey ones that game with them. The grey cleats on the other hand I had no problems unclipping from so far. I think what's happening is the front part of the cleat gets caught in the pedal. I notice it a little with the grey cleats too but lifting my heal after I have turned my foot out seems to help.

Mar 2006
    i didnt ever ride the older style looks, but i found them *slightly* harder to get out of then my spd style pedals i had before them. i chalked it up to higher spring tension, even at the factory low, however. after a few rides i dont really think they are that hard to get out of though, maybe it takes some getting used to?

i use the grey cleats