Rack suggestions, please
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Unhappy Rack suggestions, please

So I bought a new car recently. Love everything about the car, but it doesn't have a folding rear seat (Acura TL). I used to have a VW jetta and the bike would fit in there no problem with the seat down. I knew that when I got the new car I wouod have an issue, but thought it would at least fit in the backseat area with the front wheel taken off - it doesn't.

So now I need a rack. I don't like semi-permanent roof racks like the thule or yakima's. What do other people use that isn't going to scratch the hell out of the trunk and where is the best place to get it price wise?? I was thinking about the Saris Bones rack, BTW.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jun 1999

Gum? nm

bad joke nm

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newridr
    So I bought a new car recently. Love everything about the car, but it doesn't have a folding rear seat (Acura TL). I used to have a VW jetta and the bike would fit in there no problem with the seat down. I knew that when I got the new car I wouod have an issue, but thought it would at least fit in the backseat area with the front wheel taken off - it doesn't.

So now I need a rack. I don't like semi-permanent roof racks like the thule or yakima's. What do other people use that isn't going to scratch the hell out of the trunk and where is the best place to get it price wise?? I was thinking about the Saris Bones rack, BTW.

I have a Saris Bones, which doesn't really get used anymore. It's pretty solid and has pads and rubber coated hooks to minimize scratching. If you have a dark colored car, eventually small dirt will get under the pads and potentially leave micro-scratches/swirls. Unless you go with the roof setup, there is always this risk. Also, if you want to carry more than 2 bikes the fit is tight or non-existent with the 3-bike Saris Bones. I'm not sure why they even call it a 3-bke carrier.

Also, check out if Acura has decent OEM crossbars. I have a Volvo and the OEM crossbars are Thule brand but specifically made to fit the car. There are special inserts and the screw in/out in a few minutes. The way they are set up there is little contact with the car.
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

hi, I'm Larry

Take the rear wheel off

and the seat tube if you have to. It only takes 30 seconds to pop the rear wheel on and off if it is set up properly. If you need to take off the seat tube, just scribe or sharpie a line on the tube so you know where to set it when you put it back on.

As long as you have a rear door it should go in, even if you don't you might be able to get it in.

Apr 2004

What about that one that had the contest on here for a free one a while back? I think its called Oneup or something.

NeoRetroGrouch

IMHO, the only type...

that won't scratch you car is one that fits in a hitch reciever. Anything that comes close to touching the paint will eventually scratch it.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Apr 2004
    I think you should try a Hitch Mount rack.
    I own a Thule Hitch mount in my car an it work very well. I haven't bougth my road bike already, but i carry my MTBs quite often. No dirt inside the car. No need to remove front weel. Very safe. Has all signage lights (brake,direction) an space for license plate. To avoid problems whith highway patrol.
    Sorry for my english...

NeoRetroGrouch

No need to apologize...

I guarantee your English is much better than my (non-existent) Portuguese.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    that won't scratch you car is one that fits in a hitch reciever. Anything that comes close to touching the paint will eventually scratch it.
    TF
    You are correct, and this is what we have on our other car. Works great, and doesn't touch the car. However, a hitch rack on a sport sedan just doesn't look right, especially with a lowered rear end and dual exhausts on the TL. I know it sounds superficial, and usually don't care about these things, but I think a hitch on this car will look odd.
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

B2
    You talking to me?

Go with the roof rack

I got tired of the wear and tear from racks that clamp the top tube and bikes rubing against each other. No matter how much padding you put between the bikes and how well you strap things together, it seems like there's always some cosmetic damage in the long run. I sold my hitch mount rack and never use the trunk mount rack since I bought the Yakima Steelhead roof mounts. They're stable and work very well. At a hundred bucks a pop they add up quickly though.

My 2 Cents,
    Bryan

EuroCrash
    I have a hith mount on a mustang - you can hardly see it, you'd have to get down on all fours. I use a sportsworks rack with it, the best option out there IMO.

SS