rain - leave bike on roof rack?

Aug 2002

rain - leave bike on roof rack?

I brought my bike to work for a lunch ride with a group that goes out here for a fast 20 miles. There is rain and storms predicted for this afternoon when I'll be back at my desk. I transport my bike to work on my roof rack. I am wondering if I should stuff the bike into the back of my car after the ride or not worry about a little rain. The bike is titanium. I know it won't get hurt by rain but is it bad for saddle, bar tape, computer, shifters, etc. to get a soaking?

Thanks for indulging my Friday OCD question.

Jan 2004

I'd rather not, but it probably won't hurt

I'd cover my saddle, because it's a Brooks--not good for the leather for my fat butt to jam down there when it's wet. Otherwise, though, the water's not going to hurt much. I wash the bike down with a garden hose and brush occasionally anyway, and I've probably done 500 stream crossings with my mountain bike (including some complete submersions when things didn't go quite the way I'd planned). Wipe it off, lube the chain and pivot points and don't worry about it.

Aug 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Suddha
    I brought my bike to work for a lunch ride with a group that goes out here for a fast 20 miles. There is rain and storms predicted for this afternoon when I'll be back at my desk. I transport my bike to work on my roof rack. I am wondering if I should stuff the bike into the back of my car after the ride or not worry about a little rain. The bike is titanium. I know it won't get hurt by rain but is it bad for saddle, bar tape, computer, shifters, etc. to get a soaking?

Thanks for indulging my Friday OCD question.
    It's kind of like locking your car. Once you start worrying about it, you have to do it.