Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Recommendations for replacement computer

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr Bentwrench 
#1 ·
Hi due to a mishap my insurance company is giving me a cash payout for my missing Polar 720i

Should I just get the same unit as a replacement or is their a better option?

I like the dowload function/software option that I had witht eh 720i but am happy to look at other brands.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
Hellbent -- How much cash payout? The reason I ask is that I've used a dozen or so computers, and the only one that made a big difference from all the rest is the Garmin Edge 305. Unfortunately it's really pricey.

Other than that, my cycling buddies and I have had great luck with Cateye. The new Strada looks really hot.

#5 ·
Hellbent said:
Not sure yet as they will no doubt depreciate the value a little. I am hoping for about $400.00

Whad do you like particularly like about the Garmin
Can't compare directly to 720i since I haven't used one, but here's what I like about the Garmin:
-- When combined with MotionBased online service, maps the route you rode, gives very accurate altitude profile, weather data, HR profile, speed profile, etc.
-- Large, clear, reconfigurable screen that can display a lot of data at once
-- Does everything - one-stop shopping
-- Mounts on the bike rather than wrist, although they have wrist-mounted as well
-- Attractive, well-executed package

The 305 has lots of features I don't use, yet. I ought to state what I don't like, too:
-- Altitude function is inaccurate in real time since it's barometric
-- Garmin has had reliability issues. I had to send mine back for replacement because the battery discharged too quickly. Good news is Garmin is very responsive.

#8 ·
You must have just overlooked it. It's there -- mine shows I rode 54.87 miles today; not sure why they show two significant digits to the right of the decimal point, however...

I forgot to mention you can decide how many pieces of data to display at once, and where you want them displayed. I usually display speed at the top, large. On the next tier are odometer and average speed. On the bottom, total ascent and HR.

One advantage of a GPS device is that it is electrically, magnetically, and geometrically independent of the bike. I move mine among 5 different bikes, including 3 with 700c wheels, one with 650, and another with 26in. The unit doesn't care. It tells how far and fast you're going by knowing where you are and where you were.

#9 ·
The Garmin can also be set to ignore the GPS and read off a traditional wireless speed/cadence sensor for use on a trainer. I found one on line with the heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor for less than $250. At the time there was also a $75 rebate available, but that has sense expired. Check the Hot Deals secton to see where they are available fo the best price.

#10 ·
Fred I probably didn't ask the queston correctly. I know it has trip distance but it doesn't appear to be able to display an accumulative total distance of all your trips?

Other than that it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks and as you say being able to configure what you see on the big screen is a very big plus to me.

#13 ·
305 Great Deal on Garmin Edge 305

As much as I hate the place, Wal Mart does have the Garmin Edge 305 for $199 via the website. I don't think they're available in the store, but then again I don't go into their stores so maybe it is available there. It is the wrist-mounted version, which I liked anyways because it's great for cross-training use. Go to Amazon & get the wireless speed/cadence sensor for about $35 and now you've got the entire set-up for $100 less than my local running shop (which I love.....just don't love all of their prices) sells just the wrist unit for.

#15 · (Edited)
I had a little blue Garmin Legend velcroed to my stem for 2-3 years and it functions as a GREAT time/speed/distance computer for any level rider programed with what data you want and where you want it displayed.

Last summer, doctor said I needed to become more of a fitness rider so I migrated to the Polar CS200cad. It also does T/S/D very well but now I ride keying on HR & cadence... then T/S/D. (I can carry the Legend if I want better T/S/D interval data)

Should I have just bought the new Garmin rather than the Polar? Probably but I already had the little Legend and for fitness it's really HR and time in zone anyway.

As for the barometric altimeters, I find them accurate compared to my topos... when BP is stable. However, when weather is rapidly moving in or out (spring/KY), you can sometimes go up/dwn 50' riding a tabletop. Why 7 sat triangulated altitude is not std on ANY GPS is beyond me. In short, topos of your ride area are free and are great for planning or studing after a ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.