Red Flashing (Sorry for hijacking someone elses thread)
    RoadBikeReview Member

Red Flashing (Sorry for hijacking someone elses thread)

from a previous thread

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ce-366757.html

Originally Posted by Akirasho

One of our local legislators wants to double fines for passing a "red flashing" skool bus because that's how a legislator's mind works. They tend to obsess on the barn door while the horse trots down the lane.

Recertifying drivers every few years with meaningful parameters would cost more money than the lives saved so we tolerate limited insanity not unlike gun laws (stops now b4 I go all politically).
    SwiftSolo said

I'm a little confused. How do you propose stopping folks from illegally passing school busses? Even n onboard security guard with a grenade launcher and quick reflexes would not likely be able to stop these people.

On the other hand, a year in jail would stop them for a year.

Consider that it's the insane people not the insane laws that kill. But you are correct that if you pass laws to make it illegal to kill people, insane people will find something else to do with their time. I wonder why nobody's thought of that?

We've been driving for over 100 years but remember, it's been an evolution. As with some of today's tech, laws had to catch up to the then new tech of a horseless carriage (before lanes on roads, before traffic signals, before rules of the road that grew out of blood and guts).

In most of that time, as societies, we've really not considered alternatives until the rise of autonomous tech where we're finally looking at the first 100 years through a more objective lens (understanding the consequences of driving in an environment where others live as well).

In my opinion, the legislation smacks of the path of least resistance rather than "fixing" people's perceptions and conceptions of what it means to drive (we don't actively teach people that a car may be a LETHAL agent in a momentary lapse to full blown negligence). If we've never tried a societal alternative, why do we assume that it's not possible?

Years ago, I watched a teen driver eviscerate a goose because he assumed a goose understood what a car, horn and a drivers "need" not to stop meant. The event was even more remarkable, at least to me because it happened in a parking lot, less than a car's length from where he intended to park. Imagine if it had been someone's child?

What I'm proposing is increasing the lowest common denominator. We slide by on a low curve based on those 100 years of a kind of apathy (some of us have been subjected to alternative driving for reasons too lengthy to go into here, but use your imagination).

As I posted on another thread about "Invisibility", there are concrete reasons that describe human perceptions and techniques to mitigate "errors" but they require a will to do so. It's much easier to give craptacular driver's instruction and testing before we release a relatively irrational 16 year old onto the road, who, because we are creatures of habit, believe that a lack of an accident is PROOF of good driving (thankfully, airline pilots have a high lowest).

So, specifically, with regard to passing a red flashing, in my opinion, it's because we allow that low denom to persist. The laws are after the fact and rarely impress folks who think those things only happen (I'm really really good a driving and talking on my cell while reprogramming my GPS) to other folks.

A societal reality check instead of the money making coddling we often get. Not 100% but prolly far better than we do now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    What?? Cliff notes, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    What?? Cliff notes, please.
    Drive like someone else's life depended on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Drive like someone else's life depended on it.
    I do, but it's important that I answer this text.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    this is "general cycling discussion"?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    more general than killer cops?

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I do, but it's important that I answer this text.
    No time for me to answer a text while I drive. I'm too distracted reading posts on Lounge.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    more general than killer cops?
    corrupt cops should have their own subforum.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Folks around here always stop and wait when the school bus puts out the flashers and stop sign.

Used to ride Ednor Rd up in the county, the same times the school bus was letting off students. I kept catching the bus and had to soft pedal behind until it flipped down the stop sign and started moving. One time, I sprinted past just as the bus rolled to a stop and raised the stop sign, then went all out to get as much distance as possible. The lady driver almost caught up a couple of times, but I got to the end ahead of the bus, about a 3 mile run. Good training.

Proud luddite
    I say arm the school bus drivers with bazookas. Itís so crazy that it just might work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I say arm the school bus drivers with bazookas. Itís so crazy that it just might work.
    Better yet, every driver get's a "Dead Man's" implanted in their nogs when they get a license, and skool bus drivers get the switch.

I have NEVER passed a Red Flashing while on the bike where any other vehicle is required to stop. Good track stand practice.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

I have NEVER passed a Red Flashing while on the bike where any other vehicle is required to stop. Good track stand practice.
    If you fell over trying to do that, an entire bus load of kids would laugh at you. You would make their day!

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    If you fell over trying to do that, an entire bus load of kids would laugh at you. You would make their day!
    i flip 'em off, laugh, and mouth, "**** you!" they eat it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a school bus I pass once a week or more. One day she had her yellow lights flashing,but I could tell from her expression she wasn't going to put on the red lights until I passed her. I stopped far in front of her and put my foot down to let her that no way was I going to pass her until she had unloaded her kids and turned off the red lights. She gave me nice smile when I passed. I lived way out in the country and took a school bus to school through high school. I feel very strongly about the no passing law.