remember when i asked about dogs? well one put me in the hospital

Jun 2004

remember when i asked about dogs? well one put me in the hospital

Big ugly helmet saved my brain.

Apparently, just a minute and a half into a ride yesterday, a dog ran out and tangled in my front wheel. I went down real hard, cracking three sides of my helmet. Nothing broken though, just a wicked case of concussion and memory loss.

Broke my glasses, skinned my knee and damaged my back and bike. Must have hit with my front wheel as it's all bent out of shape. Landed on my back as it's one big road rash and completely bruised. Landed on my back so hard that I broke my cellphone, bent my drivers license, and bent my key ring.

Stupid dog probably cost me $4000. New glasses, new front wheel, maybe a new fork. But, glad to say, I was wearing a helmet and that's why I can type this out.

Located in Wakefield, MA
    Aug 2003
    Wow! What happened to the dog?

BTW: why'd that old thread get deleted?
    "Don't upgrade - ride up grades."

Nov 2002

Ouch!!

Hope you're feeling better soon? What did happen to the dog?

Jun 2004
    i'm not real sure on the dog. to be honest, i bonked my head so hard that i can't even tell you where it happened or how it happened. the first guys on the scene said that i told them that a dog ran out of these peoples' house i crashed in front of and ran into my front wheel. i apparently got a bit of air and landed on my back and side. in the process, slamming the back of my helmet on the pavement. i'll take pictures of my helmet to show you what my head would have looked like if i hadn't been wearing it.

steel road, fixie, & MTB

police report?

did you file a police report? find out who owns that dog? are there leash laws in that city?
    in my city the dog owner can be held liable.

file a police report in that city, if you have not. it's not too late
    Last edited by TrailNut; 08-02-2004 at 07:44 AM.
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

And call an ambulance chaser

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    did you file a police report? find out who owns that dog? are there leash laws in that city?
    in my city the dog owner can be held liable.

file a police report in that city, if you have not. it's not too late
    Most ambulance chasers work on a contingency. There is no charge to you. The lawyer scrapes 30-40% off the settlement. These (fill in the blank)s know how to find out who is the dog owner. What others think of the dog. Who else wants to get rid of the dog. You get the idea. And maybe in 2 or 3 years you will have money for a new bike.

Glad to hear your helmet worked. Keep us posted on your progress.
    I don't give a damn for a man who can spell a word only one way.
    Mark Twain

Jul 2004

"who else wants to get rid of the dog?" No bad dogs, just bad owners!

It's not the dog's fault it's running loose. Some careless person let that happen.

And whomever suggest finding an ambulance chaser, why don't you rethink your simpleminded views, and consider being part of the solution instead of exacerbating the problem.

Rider is injured due to the negligence (probably) of a pet owner. Rider's medical and other expenses should be paid for by responsible party. Responsible party might very well have insurance to cover such a scenario, or maybe even personal resources (imagine that!).

Compensatory or punitive damages? Maybe, depending IMO on the responsible party's attitude. If they've let their dog run loose before, if they're A-Holes, and so on.

Victim's insurance company might wish to help investigate.

Blaming the dog is like blaming the shotgun that Jason Williams (lying, moronic, sh*thead ex-NBA player) used to kill the limo driver gent (may he rest in peace). Blame things, not people. The liberal platform.

Original poster, glad you're on the mend, and that you survived to tell the story. :-)

Jan 2003
    You need to mellow yourself. The dog did a stupit thing so the owners are most likly stupit.The owners need to pay for something.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Most "simpleminded" neighborhoods have laws that put nuisance animals down. Dog bites man, dog is killed, dog never bites again. Owner pays all involved costs. Besides, what idiot would waste their time suing a dog? What court could put a lein on a dog house?
    I don't give a damn for a man who can spell a word only one way.
    Mark Twain

Jul 2004

love that logic

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead1
    You need to mellow yourself. The dog did a stupit thing so the owners are most likly stupit.The owners need to pay for something.

I have a neighbor who's a neurologist and a very bright man indeed. A few years back, his dog ran into the street, and a passing motorist swerved to avoid the dog, and sideswiped a parked car.

Does that stupit (sic) thing the dog did make the owners likly stupit (sic)?

The issue is -- WHO is to blame, not what.

When some drunk/stoned teenagers opened their car door (while driving slowly down the street) in front of me while I was passing by in the bike lane, I (going much faster) collided with their door and flipped over it. I still remember the screams of the girls in the car behind them, as they witnessed my airborne passage.

These dopes were to blame. Not the beer brewer, not the store at which they bought it, not their weed source, not ZigZag rolling papers, not Ford (builder of the Pinto in which they rode), and not the city (for not posting signs that could have said "Don't open your car door in front of cyclists riding past you").

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Haler
    I have a neighbor who's a neurologist and a very bright man indeed. A few years back, his dog ran into the street, and a passing motorist swerved to avoid the dog, and sideswiped a parked car.

Does that stupit (sic) thing the dog did make the owners likly stupit (sic)?

The issue is -- WHO is to blame, not what.

When some drunk/stoned teenagers opened their car door (while driving slowly down the street) in front of me while I was passing by in the bike lane, I (going much faster) collided with their door and flipped over it. I still remember the screams of the girls in the car behind them, as they witnessed my airborne passage.

These dopes were to blame. Not the beer brewer, not the store at which they bought it, not their weed source, not ZigZag rolling papers, not Ford (builder of the Pinto in which they rode), and not the city (for not posting signs that could have said "Don't open your car door in front of cyclists riding past you").
    I can hear you yelling.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good luck in pursuing a claim against a dog or dog owner. Last year a dog ran into the side of my car, caused about $1500 in damages. Luckily, I payed only my insurance deductible. Even though the accident was not my fault, the insurance company refused to pursue the claims against the dog owner, since she did not have any homeowners insurance. It seemed like I had a strong case against the dog owner-

1. Dog hit side of car.
    2. Leash laws- dog was not properly contained, the owner was not present during the accident.

The insurance company recommended I could purse my claims in small claims court, but I left myself open to a countersuit, since the dog was injured. So I bit the bullet and absorbed the deductible. I would recommend getting a good lawyer, although your case is tough since you do not know who the owner of the dog is. I wish you the best.

Jun 2004
    Sadly, my front wheel is beyond repair. My LBS suspects when I hit the dog, and went backwards, i turned the handlebars in and landed the front wheel crooked. But they're super good guys and are going to check everything out and get me an upgraded set of bontrager wheels they have for less than it would cost to buy a new front wheel (less than $100). So that's good news.

I'm going to file a police report this week, although it will be interesting because I can't tell you where this happened. I can't remember a single thing from saturday. I guess they can figure out where to look from some of the reports from the first responders and EMS. I'm not mad at the dog, I'm sure he's not feeling very good either. =)

I think a suit against the owner's would be a lost cause since I have no recollection and they have an easy deniability. I guess I'll just cut my losses and spend all my time trying to convince myself to get back on the bike. Well, as soon as I can move without cringing.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    If you'd have taken MY advice at the time which was to get the Bylaw people to enforce the bylaw that you have about dogs running loose then you might not have been in this situation. But I guess you listened to the "it's fun to outsprint them" crowd instead. Your loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by regan
    Sadly, my front wheel is beyond repair. My LBS suspects when I hit the dog, and went backwards, i turned the handlebars in and landed the front wheel crooked. But they're super good guys and are going to check everything out and get me an upgraded set of bontrager wheels they have for less than it would cost to buy a new front wheel (less than $100). So that's good news.

I'm going to file a police report this week, although it will be interesting because I can't tell you where this happened. I can't remember a single thing from saturday. I guess they can figure out where to look from some of the reports from the first responders and EMS. I'm not mad at the dog, I'm sure he's not feeling very good either. =)

I think a suit against the owner's would be a lost cause since I have no recollection and they have an easy deniability. I guess I'll just cut my losses and spend all my time trying to convince myself to get back on the bike. Well, as soon as I can move without cringing.

Well, that really sucks! I haven't seen any dogs lately myself.

It's good to hear you're ok and the bike isn't damaged beyond repair. Not sure which LBS you are using, but sounds like a good one.

~C

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Regan, that is what police and lawyers do. You know you were about 90 seconds from your starting point. You know general time of day. You know that there were witnesses. The dog would be viewed as the weapon in your case. Knowing the approximate location is all you need provide to both police and lawyers. They will search the area for the weapon and track the owner from there. People and pets are creatures of habits -just ask any good hitman or detective.

Concussion is a very serious injury! If the emergency room did not schedule follow up, work with your insurance company to find a good neurologist. Visit the neurologist more than once. The helmet did its job to protect your noggin' now the rest of the brain protection is up to you. It is the only brain you will ever have.

Jan 2002

Your memory may come back

Quote Originally Posted by regan
    Nothing broken though, just a wicked case of concussion and memory loss.
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm no neurology expert, but if you give it a couple more days, your memory of the incident may slowly come. For the first day or two after some chick drove into me and I shattered her windshield with my un-helmeted forehead, I didn't have any memory of the few seconds immediately before and during the hit. The aftermath on the scene made it clear enough what had taken place, but only gradually did the visual slow-mo "footage" of the event (and the vivid recollection of my fright and panic sensations at the time) resurface in my memory. I found it natural to get back on the bike within the first couple days. Once things came back vivdly, I really, really lost my apetite for riding.

Sounds like the damage to your melon was more severe than in my case, but it may be useful to wait a little longer and see if you have a recall which will make legal action / police reports more effective.

The recovery of your skin, bones, and bike will be the easy, automatic part. The challenge over the next couple months will be convincing yourself to shake off the psychological dents.