Thread: Removable links

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018

Removable links

First, my apologies. I tried searching first, but only found information from 2004. I need the latest, if possible.

I installed a new, but old Campy record ultra 10 speed chain (5.9mm) yesterday and attempted to connect the chain with a new Wipperman connex 10 speed link. No luck! The connex link would not run unimpeded through the jockey cage.

I used my my old link, which is very old (super link-III) and the chain ran freely. I canít find these links anymore.

Has as anyone else had these connex issues? Have you found an available link that works better?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    First, my apologies. I tried searching first, but only found information from 2004. I need the latest, if possible.

I installed a new, but old Campy record ultra 10 speed chain (5.9mm) yesterday and attempted to connect the chain with a new Wipperman connex 10 speed link. No luck! The connex link would not run unimpeded through the jockey cage.

I used my my old link, which is very old (super link-III) and the chain ran freely. I canít find these links anymore.

Has as anyone else had these connex issues? Have you found an available link that works better?

Thanks!
    Very surprised that you're having this problem. Many years ago there could be issues with removable links but those seem to have long since been solved.

Could you be more specific about how the link is hanging up as it passes through the drive train.

And please note that there is a Components and Wrenching sub-forum where questions like this should be posted.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    At least on my device there is a components sub-forum, but not a components and wrenching sub-forum. I didnít think a removable link rose to the standard of a component. Sorry for that.

As as for my issue, when the wipperman 10 speed connex link runs through the jockey cage, the jockey cage ďjumpsĒ meaning the link is not running free. The rear derailleur is a standard campy Chorus 10 speed. The old Forster super link III which I reused ran through the jockey cage smoothly with no jumps. I just ordered a couple new chains, since they are getting harder to find and ordered an SRAM powerlink too. Hopefully it wonít have the same issue as the connex.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    At least on my device there is a components sub-forum, but not a components and wrenching sub-forum. I didnít think a removable link rose to the standard of a component. Sorry for that.

As as for my issue, when the wipperman 10 speed connex link runs through the jockey cage, the jockey cage ďjumpsĒ meaning the link is not running free. The rear derailleur is a standard campy Chorus 10 speed. The old Forster super link III which I reused ran through the jockey cage smoothly with no jumps. I just ordered a couple new chains, since they are getting harder to find and ordered an SRAM powerlink too. Hopefully it wonít have the same issue as the connex.
    It's part of a chain...which is a 'component' and you're having problems making it work correctly so you're 'wrenching'...where else would it go?

Nevermind, don't answer that.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    Thank you for elevating the conversation. 😎

Rub it............
    Reason why it's jumping when the link goes over the cassette is because the link is installed upside down.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Reason why it's jumping when the link goes over the cassette is because the link is installed upside down.
    It's jumping when it goes the the pulley cage, OP didn't say anything about the cassette. Upside down was my first guess, but that may not be it. Definitely worth checking.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    Well, I thought I did it correctly the first time, but reinstalled it again and itís running through the pulley cage smoothly. Thank you for the help.

Well, I thought I did it correctly the first time, but reinstalled it again and itís running through the pulley cage smoothly. Thank you for the help.
    So it was upside down, good catch. I still think that's the best link made.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    Oops. I spoke too soon. Out on a ride, the connex link was not running smoothly. On closer inspection, when the link is on top, the front pin of the connex was causing a stiff connection with the chain link it was attached to. Not sure why. I replaced it with an SRAM powerlink that arrived yesterday. All is running smoothly.