Replace the tire or no need to replace the tire?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Replace the tire or no need to replace the tire?

I haven't had much experience with flats so don't mind the newbie-ness regarding the topic. Got my first flat last week and while changing the tube, I found culprits as two shards of glass wedged in the tire. Here are some pictures of the two cuts in the tire (from outside and inside the tire). LBS guy says you have to look for if threads inside the tire are cut otherwise some patching from duct tape (on inside, ofcourse) would hold it together. Would appreciate some comments on the condition of this tire? Does this need a replacement?

I looked for leaks in the tube and only found one. So it's likely that other cut didn't even make it to the tube. I ride 700x23 clinchers pumped at 115-120psi (if that's relevant).

cut 1 (out)
    cut 2 (out)
    cut 1 (inside)
    cut 2 (inside)

I trying not to freak out over a small thing but I'd like to avoid a blowout when riding. My route goes through somewhat 'dubious' parts of South Chicago (probably how I ended with beer bottle shards in the tire) and I don't want to be stranded there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would replace it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    put some superglue in the hole while pressing down on the tire to make sure it's flat, wait until the glue is dried off. Using a clamp helps here. Then after it's dried, superglue a patch over the hole on the inside. This should fix it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I would replace it.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Yeah, you could patch it up and get some more miles out of it, but the tire looks fairly worn anyway. If you ride on "dubious" urban streets with lots of debris, get a good puncture resistant tire like a Gatorskin.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'd repair it as suggested above. Then every so often, check to see if a slight bubble is forming in the area of the cuts. If yes, it is time for a new tire. If you ride on dubious urban streets and trash a tire every time you get a cut or two in it, you'd be spending a lot of money on rubber.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I've used these Park Tools TB-2 boots on nasty cuts, including a small cut on the sidewall, on my 700-23 tires.

Park Tool Co. TB-2 : Emergency Tire Boot : Tube & Tire

I recommend them for your cuts.

I was so pleased with how they saved a ride for me, I always carry a few on every ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd patch it and ride it home like that... then throw it away. But, since you're home... yeah, toss it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I can't see the pictures, but the fact you felt the need to show us something on the inside indicates you should at least use a boot. Then, check if it bubbles up when fully or a bit over-inflated. If it bubbles with a boot, ditch it. If not you should be okay but keep an eye on it.

Also, use it in the back not the front. If something happens it's safer that it happens in the back and with this tire having a flaw it would be the one out of the two you'd want to wear out faster which will happen on the back.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I wouldn't chuck it... I'd save to use as a trainer tire or something, but I don't think I'd ride it on the street like that, especially if you have concerns about getting stranded somewhere.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

User is infamous around
    ^+1
    I'd fix it best you could, test it to make sure it holds, then keep it for an emergency spare. You'll feel better knowing that if another tire gets trashed, you always have 'something' to ride on til you can get another tire. As soon as you find another decent tire (besides the ones on your bike) toss that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    1) Replace it.
    2) You've been around for 3 years so you should know about posting in the correct section.
    3) Why on earth do you inflate your tires to 115-120psi?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I was thinking of getting Gatorskin as well so it can fare well in the debris. But tire boot sounds like a good idea as well. Does it long for the bubble to form if the tire is defective?

Worn out? This tire barely has few hundred miles on it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    1) Replace it.

Beat me to it. My cousin & her husband came down to visit & I took them for a ride in my area. Prior to heading out, the husband wanted to pump up their tires so I loaned him my Zefal floor pump which has a dial that you can select to choose the air pressure you want to pump your tires up to. I asked him what he wanted to pump the tires up to & he replied 120-125 for both bikes.

The side wall rating is the maximum pressure that you can blow the tire up to without the risk of it blowing off. The max. air rating is not the most effective tire pressure depending on your weight. Tests have proven that you'll get a more comfortable & faster ride by running the tires at a lower pressure than what the maximum recommended is. Just experiment with it yourself. I'm running Specialized Roubaix Pro's at 90 & 80 psi.

As for the tire. I've done the crazy glue & shoe goo repair before but the tire is always on the back of your mind & any time you need to really corner you will always have doubts. Since yours is a rear tire cut, I would recommend you just replace it for the peace of mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    1) Replace it.
    2) You've been around for 3 years so you should know about posting in the correct section.
    I have to up my game. I'm am just too slow right now.

Does anyone have a training plan that will allow me to beat CX to the thread and post before he corrects the n00bs and ill informed?
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    OP,
    Replace the tire.

You may want to replace it with a 25 mm version if it will fit your rig. 115-120 psi on 23mm tires is now considered worse than the death penalty and has been banned in CA for cruel and unusual punishment.

Run the 25mm tire at 105 or so and be happy..............
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I have to up my game. I'm am just too slow right now.

Does anyone have a training plan that will allow me to beat CX to the thread and post before he corrects the n00bs and ill informed?
    I've considered just letting him know he often comes across rude and particularly annoying. If I thought it would change anything I might. ;0

He is the kind of guy that would either be one of my best friends or mortal enemas I suspect.

'BUT' informational wise is he wrong? I mean for the most part? I overlook the music for the lyric I guess... His mechanical experience and knowledge IS obvious, and that is the lyric I am here for myself....
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

banned
    Jul 2013
    I can't say I have kept close attention, but as far as that post goes, I don't see anything particularly horrible about it. It is concise gets to the essence of the problem. I get #2 might be a bit abrupt, but it isn't mean-spirited, as far as I can see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry, it's been a while. Haven't been around for some time.

115-120psi is what I was recommended in forum discussions (based on rider weight)

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    OP,
    Replace the tire.

You may want to replace it with a 25 mm version if it will fit your rig. 115-120 psi on 23mm tires is now considered worse than the death penalty and has been banned in CA for cruel and unusual punishment.

Run the 25mm tire at 105 or so and be happy..............
    Can I run 23 in front and 25 in back? Just so I don't have to change both tires or would that be a bad idea?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post

115-120psi is what I was recommended in forum discussions (based on rider weight)

Can I run 23 in front and 25 in back? Just so I don't have to change both tires or would that be a bad idea?
    How much do you weigh? 115-120 is not a good recommendation. If you need that much to avoid flats the answer is bigger tires not more PSI.

Anyway, there's no problem with miss matching tires size. I always use 23front 25rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Old school myth was that higher pressures = faster speeds & that was the consensus for a long time until only fairly recently that evidence proved otherwise.

The newest trend now are even fatter tires like 27's & 28's. You can run different sizes front & back no problem. But do experiment with lower pressures. You'll find that the ride is much more comfortable, smoother & traction is much better too.

OT is if you ride every day, you don't have to pump up your tires ever day either. The caveat is latex tubes which leak like crazy though. Your tire pressure will not drop enough overnight to justify the need to re-pump them unless you have a leak somewhere that you don't know about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Rob, is that auto correct in your statement, or an accurate assessment. CX keep it up. I generally get a good laugh. I suppose you could be nicer, but you have elevated snarky to an art form

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    How much do you weigh? 115-120 is not a good recommendation. If you need that much to avoid flats the answer is bigger tires not more PSI.
    Agree totally...

Anyway, there's no problem with miss matching tires size. I always use 23front 25rear.
    I do as well. on two bikes. And 25/27 on one as well..
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Rob, is that auto correct in your statement, or an accurate assessment. CX keep it up. I generally get a good laugh. I suppose you could be nicer, but you have elevated snarky to an art form

I forgot to add the snark via emoticon... ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Old school myth was that higher pressures = faster speeds & that was the consensus for a long time until only fairly recently that evidence proved otherwise.

The newest trend now are even fatter tires like 27's & 28's. You can run different sizes front & back no problem. But do experiment with lower pressures. You'll find that the ride is much more comfortable, smoother & traction is much better too.

OT is if you ride every day, you don't have to pump up your tires ever day either. The caveat is latex tubes which leak like crazy though. Your tire pressure will not drop enough overnight to justify the need to re-pump them unless you have a leak somewhere that you don't know about.
    I am a little behind the times on the latest trends. Do cyclists no longer care about wheel weight and rotational inertia on the far outside of the wheel?

'brifter' is a lame word.

If you have pinch flats and/or ding rims w/ 23mm tires at 110-115 you don't need more pressure, you need bigger tires. You should be able to ride at up to 100psi and not have any major problems. If a lunar crater somehow manages to surprise you and cause a pinch flat you need to look further down the road.

Yes, you can run a 23/25 mix, but for you I'd think a 25/28 (if it fits in your frame and doesn't 'light bulb' too much on your rim) would be even better.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast