Replicating road bike fit on a new Mtn. bike

Jul 2002

Replicating road bike fit on a new Mtn. bike

I just ordered a new mtb frame, and I'm curious as to how to replicate the fit I have on my road bike (or at least come close). I know how to get the seat in the same position but measuring from the BB, but I'm wondering how long of a stem I need, how wide of bars, etc. due to the differend bar shape, brake hood, and what not. I currently ride a 56cm road bike with 560mm TT and a 120mm stem. My new mtb is a 19.5" with a 23.62 inch actual TT, and a 24.4 in "effective" TT. Any suggestions? I'd like to get as close as possible so I don' t have to adjust to a completely different position.

May 2002
    Are you going to ride it off-road or on the street? If you are going off-road, you likely *don't* want the same position. You likely want a bit shorter reach and a bit lower saddle to give you room to move around on the bike as you clear obstacles.
    Todd Kuzma
    Heron Bicycles
    Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
    LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com
    http://www.tullios.com

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by dez182
    I just ordered a new mtb frame, and I'm curious as to how to replicate the fit I have on my road bike (or at least come close). I know how to get the seat in the same position but measuring from the BB, but I'm wondering how long of a stem I need, how wide of bars, etc. due to the differend bar shape, brake hood, and what not. I currently ride a 56cm road bike with 560mm TT and a 120mm stem. My new mtb is a 19.5" with a 23.62 inch actual TT, and a 24.4 in "effective" TT. Any suggestions? I'd like to get as close as possible so I don' t have to adjust to a completely different position.
    MTB fit is a lot different, so don't try to replicate your road fit. MTB fit is going to be much less exact because you need more flexibility in your positioning due to the various obstacles you'll encounter on the trail.

Jul 2002

ok...

I understand the differences in riding...I'm just looking for the reach to be about the same to the end of the stem.

j-dawg

Add 2 cm?

I've had it recommended to add 2cm to your total reach (effective TT + stem) on the road bike to get a neutral MTB fit. It is probably based on comfort more than anything.

In your case:

56 cm TT + 12 cm stem = 68 cm
    Add 2cm for MTB = 70 cm

Your effective TT is 24.4in *2.54 ~= 62cm => probably ~80mm (8cm) stem to get you close.

You'll get all kinds of answers on how short is 'too' short a stem. Shorter stems will be quicker or twitchier. Bottom line though is comfort. You'll adjust to the quicker steering but your arms probably aren't going to get longer.

my $.02
    I may be fat but I'm slow.