Riding 53/39 front and 11-23 rear. Is 11-25 worthwhile? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Yes.

I'm very happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to get another. But I don't know if their individual cogs are compatible on a Campagnolo cassette(shifting ramp placement). I don't think that they offer 12spd yet, but I think they do 10\9 and maybe 8.

They also do shimano\sram if one is so inclined.
    I've got five bikes with Campy 11-speed. Two have Athena, one has Chorus version 1, two have Chorus version 2 (ugly cranks). Version 2 allows the use of a bigger cassette (I think its the same with Dura Ace 9000 and 9100).

I think the next bike I get when I turn 60 is going to epitomize everything I hate about road bikes these days. Its gotta have disc brakes, carbon clinchers with tubeless tires, those pass through things that are replacing quick release skewers, electronic shifting, be stamped out of a mold in some soulless Asian bike factory and be ridden by a World Tour team because that's what they get paid to ride. Hopefully there will be some frame 'improvements' dujour like pencil thin seat stays, square tubes, or a rippling fork. God, I hope I hate it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've got five bikes with Campy 11-speed. Two have Athena, one has Chorus version 1, two have Chorus version 2 (ugly cranks). Version 2 allows the use of a bigger cassette (I think its the same with Dura Ace 9000 and 9100).

I think the next bike I get when I turn 60 is going to epitomize everything I hate about road bikes these days. Its gotta have disc brakes, carbon clinchers with tubeless tires, those pass through things that are replacing quick release skewers, electronic shifting, be stamped out of a mold in some soulless Asian bike factory and be ridden by a World Tour team because that's what they get paid to ride. Hopefully there will be some frame 'improvements' dujour like pencil thin seat stays, square tubes, or a rippling fork. God, I hope I hate it.
    Is it gonna be an e-bike?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    These gearing threads are always hilarious.

A 180 pound recreational cyclist, probably middle aged, with questionable fitness looking for climbing gears and asking which of two options that are both considerable bigger than an elite 140 pound professional in his prime would typically use for climbing. I realize your 'climbs' may not be the alps day after day but grade is grade and cadence is cadence so maybe consider that going bigger than the best climbers in the world may not be for you.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I may be mistaken but I don't think Miche makes 12 speed Campy cassettes. If they start making them please consider making a 13-32, specifically:

13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20----22-------25-------28----------32

That's my dream cassette. I do know they make a 14-27 in 11 speed.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    These gearing threads are always hilarious.

A 180 pound recreational cyclist, probably middle aged, with questionable fitness looking for climbing gears and asking which of two options that are both considerable bigger than an elite 140 pound professional in his prime would typically use for climbing. I realize your 'climbs' may not be the alps day after day but grade is grade and cadence is cadence so maybe consider that going bigger than the best climbers in the world may not be for you.
    But...

But...

But...

It's a race bike.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My race bike has a 34 in the rear cassette, we have real hills!
    U guys must ride where it's pretty flat, and need to get around more.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    But I do find that on some of the steeper hills, even in the smallest gear, I’m really huffing and puffing and unable to maintain a brisk cadence. At other times (infrequently) I simply have to get out of the saddle.
    2 points in response to this.

1. Work is work, power is power. To ride at a given speed up a given slope, it takes a certain amount of power. Unless you go very slowly to reduce the power requirement, you're going to be huffing and puffing at times. No gear combination will prevent that.

2. There's nothing wrong with climbing out of the saddle at times. If you watch professional racers on substantial climbs, they are out of the saddle frequently, sometimes for extended periods.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Is it gonna be an e-bike?
    No, I draw the line at that, even though those things are at the top of my list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    2 points in response to this.

1. Work is work, power is power. To ride at a given speed up a given slope, it takes a certain amount of power. Unless you go very slowly to reduce the power requirement, you're going to be huffing and puffing at times. No gear combination will prevent that.
    Work is work, power is how quickly this work can done. The gearing alters the balance between how much work is required verses how quickly it can be done.

Banned forever.....or not
    I finally put away the ol' 12-23 10 speed cassettes this year (with a 53x39) I found that I was having to use the small ring more than occasionally on hills. Now I'm riding a 13-25 10 speed "junior" cassette, that can get me over the little bumps in my area in the big ring (The second flattest States in the ol' USA)....I really like having an 18.
    When I get really old, I have a 12-28 waiting in a box.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12