Riding in the Black Hills Area - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    If you are up near Deadwood then Spearfish canyon is the closest for a good road ride.

An simple internet search brings up this: https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/o...reation/biking

On one trip I was staying in Hill City and did a ride out/back to the Deerfield reservoir. Rolling hills and pretty low traffic there. Spearfish canyon and Needles highway would be bigger elevation changes, and likely to have more tourist traffic. So going earlier in the morning would be best.

Custer State park wildlife loop is fairly flatish and not that long. Plus there will be tourist cars going real slow on it. There are much better options.

You could also day trip to the northwest from there to the Devils tower region and probably find some low traffic roads.

There is also some excellent mountain biking in the whole region. The Centennial trail goes the length of the Black Hills region and can be tackled in sections. Also closer to Rapid City there are some trail systems with some real technical riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I made my trip last week but due to some scheduling and packed days wasn't able to ride as much as I'd liked. The little bit I was able to ride was great, though. Definitely a departure from the flat lands of NE North Dakota.

I rode a little on the Mickelson trail near Lead where we stayed. The sugarloaf loop was great and was very steep in spots. I had my road bike in hopes of getting a couple long rides in, but really should have brought a mountain bike.

We drove through Custer State Park and around Wind Cave. There were definitely Bison around and on the road in many places. We also drove Needles Highway. It looked like they were recently working on chip-sealing it. I don't think I'd want to ride that unless it was very early. Without the loose chip seal and traffic, it would be fantastic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12