Riding IN the office...can you?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Riding IN the office...can you?

I do. Set up my trainer in my office and jump on at 3 p.m. I've actually got people knocking on my door and asking if I'm dressed before they come in! Had a lady reading an email to me yesterday while I was sweating my @ss off.

Non non normal
    I ride at lunch for 13 miles. It helps my attitude and my regular riding buddies at lunch are different than the club riders so it always means there is fresh conversation. The lunch ride is dead flat and the scenery is breathtaking including fresh water swamps, eagles, turkeys, deer, fox, coyotes, ducks, and an abundance of small birds. The ride is always finished off by a sprint for fun and we go back to work after I sit in front of a fan, towel off and then get dressed.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Feb 2004
    My office has a little workout room with a universal machine and a treadmill, I just put the rollers near one wall and spin away. Did this last year for a few weeks.

Feb 2004

"it's illegal to bring a bike into a government building"

or at least that's what i was told when i tried to bring my bike into my office so i wouldn't have to leave it on top of my car all day.

apparently it's also illegal to keep a fish tank in a government office. rationale? "fish are pets." i kid you not. that is what i was told. to me, if it can't be scratched behind the ears or purr or wag it's tail then it doesn't qualify as a pet!! fish are like plants. they look nice and you have to water them.

on the other hand, working for a government agency who's motto is "Safer. Healthier. People." i not only have free access to a pretty good weight room but i'm also allowed to take long lunches so i can ride.....so long as i leave my bike locked to the top of the car before & after my ride.

rt
    when i rule the world, things will be different

JFR
    RoadBikeReview Member

I almost did TODAY!

Well, not actually in my office as it's just a 6'x9' cube (the horror).

But it does just so happen that I was too lazy to commute today and deal with the forecasted rain. I was feeling bad about not riding and for the first time I thought about bringing my trainer in and setting up in our locker room. I decided against it cause I thought I was being neurotic. Maybe next time I'll do it.

p.s. How cool must it be to (A) have a real office and (B) to be able to ride a trainer in it! That's pretty slick.

Feb 2004
    Yeah, I know, that's pathetic *rt*. I know a few guys that commute to the Coast Guard building in downtown Norfolk, and they have to keep their bikes in the basement, reluctantly provided by the management. And they've got to bring a sturdy lock, since of course the building management takes no responsibility for their safety. When I was a squiddly, I kept my bike in my barracks room, and was only able to get it with special dispensation from the Chief of the Boat, after I had told him how much it cost!!

aka Zonic Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JFR

p.s. How cool must it be to (A) have a real office and (B) to be able to ride a trainer in it! That's pretty slick.
    It's not all it's cracked up to be.

It's less fun than the trainer at home, which isn't all that fun as it is.

RoadBikeReview Member

I worked for Fuji for a year...

I worked in one of Fuji's warehouses when I was 19. I used to do laps around the inside of the warehouse just for the hell of it. I was in heaven. Imagine, riding your bike while surrounded by a building full of bike boxes.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

Nope, not a chance.

We have bicycle parking on every level of our monitored parking garage, but as far as I know, bikes are not allowed in any other part of the building. I once tried to bring my bike through the lobby of the building and security was all over me. Boxed is ok--I've both shipped and recieved a frame from here. But even if I were able to sneak a bike in, it's pretty clear that rollers or a trainer would not be acceptable. Just not that kind of place.

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

I did one time..

to and from the elevator. Carpets like riding sand or gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by filly
    I do. Set up my trainer in my office and jump on at 3 p.m. I've actually got people knocking on my door and asking if I'm dressed before they come in! Had a lady reading an email to me yesterday while I was sweating my @ss off.

I'm blue collar and would just love having a office.

Ethical Nihilist

Wink Re office

Quote Originally Posted by filly

Let me understand this: When you say office you are refering to a ROOM with a DOOR in which you work ALONE and don't have to share with ANYONE? Wow. I tried setting up a trainer in the bullpen but it freaked people out. Enjoy your solitude.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

Strained coccyx etc etc

couple times nights/weekends

when riding to the office for some after-hours stuff. i'm in a pretty high-security facility (financial), so the common areas are difficult to even breach with a bike. however, behind closed doors (departmental), i have ridden down the hallways beside the cube farms from time to time, but only for the sake of not walking (like a duck) the half mile to the server room(s).

office? door? 6x9 cube? LOL! howsabout 6x6? i can hardly turn around in my chair.

a vendor recently gave me a 6'x6' db schema poster and i have nowhere to put it.

regarding RT/bikes in the workplace, i was told by upper management (a "cyclist") that bikes are absolutely not allowed inside the building. if i wished to commute, negoatiate a place to store the bike on the loading dock, and bring a chain and large lock.

parental logistics don't allow bike commuting anyhow. at least not presently.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Feb 2004

gotta love the gov't...

i tried to convince the guard at the desk that my bike deserved to come inside because of how much it cost and her response was, 'why can't you lock it up outside?' uh.......apparently she was not swayed by the "my bike costs more than my car" arguement. ;)

rt

Feb 2004

i finally decided that...

locking my bike to my roof rack was as good as it was going to get. the office park i work at is fairly secluded and not many people are wandering about.....security tends to get a little uppity with loiterers. i don't know, something about homeland security, and anthrax, and minor details like that. go figure! ;)

besides, i can see my car from my window so i can keep an eye on things if necessary.

yes, not only do i have an office (~ 9'x12') with a door and 4 walls and no one else to share with, i also have a floor to ceiling window.

rt

Strained coccyx etc etc

Unhappy i can't even see a window from my cage

many years ago the brokerage i worked for built and moved into a new building. their #1 design goal, aside from "no corner offices", was to provide everyone, everywhere, with a view outside. not here. we have a beautiful lake and island about which our complex is situated. but i have to away from my machines to open the blinds and look out.

window? door? office? LOL. i'd have a better shot with some letters after my name, doc.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Feb 2004

bummer!

granted, i have my back to my window, but if i faced the window i'd spend all my times staring out & never get anything done!!

the govt is still a firm believer in the concept of corner offices (which i don't have and don't want!). i wonder if the Oval Office is in a corner?!

if it werent for the letters after my name i'd still sharing a basement office with 3 desks with 12 other people!

rt

Strained coccyx etc etc

thread shift:

any interest in riding the 3 state 3 mountain century in chattanooga (in may)? i'm expecting a crew of 10-12 from memphis. it's a fun ride with a couple challenging climbs. you'd enjoy the final climb up lookout mountain (via burkhalter gap road).

www.chattbike.com

Feb 2004

would like to, but probably can't...

i've heard good things about that ride and know a couple folks who did it last year. unfortunately, i've got 3 mtb races on my calendar for May, one of which is in Ducktown, TN the day after 3 state....convenient if i wanted to do both! ;) hmmm....probably not. i did it last summer while racing sport (Blood, Sweat, & Gears on sat, mtb race in SC on sun) but i don't think i can do the same racing expert.

i'll let you know if dates change though....

rt

Strained coccyx etc etc

bummer. cherohala, then? nm

neuro methodogy

Feb 2004

possibly (nm)

nothing mental