Riding in Philadelphia
    Miggity Mac Daddy
    Feb 2004

Riding in Philadelphia

I may be moving to Manayunk in Philly this coming fall and was wondering if the riding is pretty good there. I am in NYC now where cycling is surprisingly easy but I need variety of terrain. Anyone out there have any experience with that?

Arrogant roadie.....
    Philly has lots of broken glass and streetcar tracks. Watch out for them!!
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Run Ride Run
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I may be moving to Manayunk in Philly this coming fall and was wondering if the riding is pretty good there. I am in NYC now where cycling is surprisingly easy but I need variety of terrain. Anyone out there have any experience with that?
    I was born in Philly and thats why I now live in rural Washington State. Manayunk has some incredible hills but cyclists and runners alike are a nuscience to (aggressive) drivers and therefore are targets in Philly. Sorry, although there are cheesesteaks...
    Ride in the Great Northwest

RoadBikeReview Member
    I visited Manayunk on a Sunday morning last summer. What a great town, I can't really answer your question, but I saw tons and tons of cyclists, so there must be some good terrain.

Jul 2004
    thats where I ride everyday,the bike trail that starts on main st.is 14mi. to valley forge park,they extended it to join the Perkiomen trail(19mi.) lots of good riders(U of PA. team ride there )the streets off the trail are steep,thats where the BIG Wachovia (old corestates race ) goes thru dont know if you heard about "THE WALL", on henry ave. there another yuppy type Mt. bike trail w/some short steep hills.

Miggity Mac Daddy
    Feb 2004

Can i contact you offline?

EddyMerckx, can i contact you about riding there. Specifically good shops in the area and in more detail about riding there? Send me a private message if that is okay, thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    there are some great hills in the manayunk area, i used to live right near there on city line ave, I still drive out there on a regular basis to find hills bc i don't have any in NJ to train on,
    there is also some good Mtn biking to be had in Wissahickon and belmont, but it can be very technical... On mainsteet in manayunk there are 2 bike stores, Bike Line, which i know better bc they've been around longer, a new store called cadence has just opened up there, from what i can tell they cater mainly to high end riding, and offer tons of training programs and stuff, both are worth checking out one of my favorite hills to ride on is Neil Dr. it starts right at the end of west river drive its got a pretty good hill and enough room to not get run over by a car, which is rare in the city, the bike path to valley forge is nice,
    but i remember jogging on that path and getting a little annoyed when i was run off the path by large groups of bikers(only happened twice, usually people go in smaller groups)...

Jul 2004
    I check in here several times ,as far as bike shops I only use for emergency parts as I do all repairs myself(truing& building wheels),I hate to depend on any shop ,mostly use mail order places(got all the catalogs).

Jun 2004

I loved riding in Philly....

I lived in the suburbs of Philly for 32 years (Conshohocken to be exact) about 2 mins from the Schuykill River Trail. The SRT is 18 or so miles long and run along the river from Valley Forge to the Art Museum (same steps Rocky ran up). Manayunk is about the midway point along the trail. One of my favorite rides was from Conshy down the trail then down the Ben Franklin Pkwy, through Old City (the historic section) to Penn's Landing. Early in the morning on a weekend and you can easily ride with the traffic.

As someone else mentioned, there is also Fairmount Park and Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek. There are also some fairly technical MTB trails in this park too that can challenge just about anybody.

The SRT can get crowded between Manayunk and Philly but going the other way towards Valley Forge it's pretty wide and not nearly as crowded -- it also has pretty good sight-lines too and is relatively flat so you can fly. The SRT now links up with the Perkiomen Trail and takes the total lenght to over 40 miles (I think). Valley Forge Park is a great workout with its hills.

Of course, you have Manayunk itself with its hills and "The Wall" that is part of the US Pro Championship race (known to most locals as the "Corestates bike race"). The city is loaded with bike lanes too. Just watch out for the old style sewer grates with the slots running parallel to the road.

Overall, Philly is a pretty bike friendly town that has a love/hate relationship with its local sports teams. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I moved to the DC Metro area with its non-existent bike lanes and narrow, crowded rail trails.

Mar 2002
    I lived in West Mt Airy (east side of Wissahickon Park) for 5 years and I think the bicycling is good in Philly. The MUT from Center City to Valley Forge is being extended further north along the Perkiomen River and is great asset. Side trips through Valley Forge or around Center City (Penn's Landing or over the Ben Franklin Bridge) are easy. Sections near Center City and around Conshohocken and other population centers can be a bit crowded on weekends. Riders must ride through Manyunk (Main Street) to connect the 2 sections; hence you will see a lot of bike traffic through there. The Bicycle Club of Phila is quite active if you like group rides- usually several to choose from each weekend. I never rode on the streets much outside of group rides or streets with designated bike lanes, but my sense is that many drivers aren't terribly bicycle friendly, especially places like the main line or suburbs further out. You will want to avoid much of Philadelphia proper-it will be obvious why.

If you are young and want to live in a row home, Manyunk should be a good place to live.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Bike Club Of Philadelphia

Check out the web site for Bike Club of Philadelphia (BCP) <- Do a google search on this...

Lotsa rides are listed and there are maps, que sheets, and lots of members...

Most of the rides listed are B, B+... and I think some of the B rides are actually in the A category....

You should get enough infromation from the club....

Miggity Mac Daddy
    Feb 2004

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for all of your help!! I'll do some research and post any other questions, thanks again!