Right rear dropout slightly misaligned....causes rear der. to be misaligned.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Right rear dropout slightly misaligned....causes rear der. to be misaligned.

I recently purchased a 2004 Fuji Team Super Lite 61cm, and right out of the box I could see that the derailleur was not aligned perfectly. I took off the derailleur and checked the alignment with the straightener tool...indeed it is misaligned. It is not that the hanger is bent, it is the dropout. The dropout, where it attches to the drive side of the axle, comes in at a bit of an angle and even when the skewer is clamped down the derailleur hanger is still not perfectly straight vertically or horizontally.

Should I bend the hanger with the straightener tool so that it makes up for the angled inward dropout? Wouldn't this weaken the replaceable derailleur hanger because it is made of aluminum? Is there a tool that can straighten the dropouts on an aluminum frame, so that I don't have to bend the hanger?

Thanks for the help

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herms
    I recently purchased a 2004 Fuji Team Super Lite 61cm, and right out of the box I could see that the derailleur was not aligned perfectly. I took off the derailleur and checked the alignment with the straightener tool...indeed it is misaligned. It is not that the hanger is bent, it is the dropout. The dropout, where it attches to the drive side of the axle, comes in at a bit of an angle and even when the skewer is clamped down the derailleur hanger is still not perfectly straight vertically or horizontally.

Should I bend the hanger with the straightener tool so that it makes up for the angled inward dropout? Wouldn't this weaken the replaceable derailleur hanger because it is made of aluminum? Is there a tool that can straighten the dropouts on an aluminum frame, so that I don't have to bend the hanger?

Thanks for the help
    If this is a brand new bike I'd call or send it back. If you start hammering the dropout or hanger, I'm sure you'll void the warranty. Where did you buy it?
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Chili hed & old bike fixr

Lightbulb

Thanks for the help
    The drop out should be perfect before adjusting the hanger. But you should follow Dave's advice first. Then as a last resort try tweaking the dropout. Then check the hanger alignment with a hub or wheel firmly clamped in the now true dropouts. A bent dropout will lead to chronicly breaking axles, which can be a PITA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Local Fuji Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    If this is a brand new bike I'd call or send it back. If you start hammering the dropout or hanger, I'm sure you'll void the warranty. Where did you buy it?
    I am an employee at the local fuji dealer and got the bike on employee purchase. This is not a major issue, like the derailleur is not misaligned to the point where it screws up the shifting or throws the chain in the spokes or anything. If were more of a major issue I would consider sending it back, but if I send it back to fuji for this then it may piss off Fuji or something.

Maybe riding the bike will straighten everything up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

There is a tool for this

There is a specific tool for aligning the dropouts. The Campy tool is the figure H, and I am sure that Park makes something comparable. This is NOT the tool for straightening the hanger, but for the dropouts. The amount of bend in your frame is not likely to be a problem for strength or durability if you correct it with the proper tool. If your shop does not have the proper tool, it doesn't speak well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Yep, I found the tool: Park FFG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    There is a specific tool for aligning the dropouts. The Campy tool is the figure H, and I am sure that Park makes something comparable. This is NOT the tool for straightening the hanger, but for the dropouts. The amount of bend in your frame is not likely to be a problem for strength or durability if you correct it with the proper tool. If your shop does not have the proper tool, it doesn't speak well.
    tool: http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml
    directions for use: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FFG.shtml

Park makes a frame and fork end alignment gauge set that is specifically for correctly aligning the dropouts. But it mentions specifically that on some frames it should not be used because some frames are not alignable. Anyone used this tool on a lightweight aluminum bike? Any tips for when I do this procedure?(i think my shop has this tool). Anyone ever done damage to their frame while doing this?

thanks for informing me of this tool.

Every little counts...

Big crescent wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    This is NOT the tool for straightening the hanger, but for the dropouts.
    Works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Time to get some help

Of course someone has damaged their frame doing this. People have jammed screwdrivers into their derailleurs trying to adjust the limit screws. I know a guy who destroyed a crank trying to remove the dust cap. However, there is no reason to have any problems. That said, since you work in a bike shop, why not hook up with the best mechanic in the bunch and have him/her help you do this relatively easy job. Unless your dropout is seriously bent, it should be a no-problem fix. If it is seriously bent, then it's back to Fuji with the frame. The mechanic will also give you some insight as to whether your frame is too far gone to straighten.

RoadBikeReview Member
    tool: http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml
    directions for use: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FFG.shtml

Park makes a frame and fork end alignment gauge set that is specifically for correctly aligning the dropouts. But it mentions specifically that on some frames it should not be used because some frames are not alignable. Anyone used this tool on a lightweight aluminum bike? Any tips for when I do this procedure?(i think my shop has this tool). Anyone ever done damage to their frame while doing this?

thanks for informing me of this tool.