Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

RIP J's carbon fiber bike

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Kram 
#1 ·
couple centuries, a double, duathlon, bunch of bad weather rides, and the whole winter. since 8/18. chainsuck would be her downfall. now the weaves of carbon are splintered on the chainstay. you were a good bike. now you are wall art.

carbon fiber bike
bought cheap from chucksbikes.com
i will miss your ride

#2 ·
Too bad.

Guess that leaves room for another ;)

#3 ·
Chain suck can be "death" to CF bikes.
For fun, why don't you try to fix it with a fiber-glass repair kit. Might work.

#4 ·
Ouch!

Dude, sorry to hear about the frame. Do not despair, it could be repairable. Also, if it is repairable, I'd look to see if you could put one of the 'chain watchers' on the seat tube to catch the chain should it derail to the inside. Not sure if the shaping of the tubes allow this, but it could be insurance. I got 'em on my steel frames, mostly to protect the bb shell and also to prevent the chain being pulled into the chainstay should it come off. It's only happened once, but it did its job.

Good thing you have a fleet now. Maybe you can transfer the 105 parts to your white Eddy?

Hang in there.

MP

#6 ·
eddy etc

thanks. will be decorating with the carbon frame, not decorating it. i'd rather go with an aluminum frame anyhow--no worries. i will not be comfortable on this one, regardless of the repair job.

as for eddy 1, he'll be the next ss/fixed conversion. and i'll do him right--in style. he'll hang around 'til the other projects are finished. i have three builds on the fire.

#7 ·
no fix.

this is a sign. an excuse to buy another frame. i wouldn't be comfy on this bike knowing the fix might not work. i use it primarily on "long" rides and in bad weather. thanks, though.

#8 ·
One thing I did..

...on my nice, won't ride it unless the trails are dry, mountain bike is to affix a homemade guard on the chainstay. I cut a chunk of alu from a coke can and zip tied it to the chainstay. Actually, I doubled up the alu guard. It's hardly noticeable as it's behind the chainrings, and if I do happen to get chainsuck, the chain hits the guard and not my frame. I've replaced the coke can contraption once after it took some damage. It really does work.

Granted, no one would want to do this on a fancy road bike, but I figured I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

#13 ·
You big guys are tough on equipment.......

Man that sucks!

Well at least you can now buy another bike. Get a custom serotta with the O/S chainstays. LOL

What do you do with a broken Carbon Fiber bike that is environmentally friendly? I have the remnants of my intimate meeting with a car in two pieces in my garage (a fact my wife keeps reminding me of BTW).

Len

#17 ·
It's when the chain comes off when shifting onto the smallest chainring and gets stuck by the BB and chainstay, with possible nasty consequences, as happened to J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.