RIP look kg286, we barely knew ye
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Strained coccyx etc etc

RIP look kg286, we barely knew ye

chainsuck victim. such a short career. bunch of centuries, one ms150, one double.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop
    chainsuck victim. such a short career. bunch of centuries, one ms150, one double.
    Ouch!

hi, I'm Larry

Duck Tape & Ebay

A little duck tape and a lot of "salesmanship" on ebay and you will have enough money to buy a new one. Use words like "normal chain wear" and "gray composite rear stay protector" in your ad.

But all kidding aside. You may be surprised to find what folks are willing to spend even if you post the frame with full disclosure and your close up photos.

Sorry for your loss, my she rest in peace.

flinty-eyed moderator

Unhappy Daaaaammmmmmnnnnnn!

That's a bummer!!

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

Ya know....

.... just about the time I start thinking seriously about getting a carbon bike I see something like that.

Sorry about the chainsuck, chainsuck becomes walletsuck.

I wonder if that's a warranty issue?????
    <<a sig line goes here>>

hrv

Dec 2001

I've had that happen to all of my bikes , so no carbon for me?

But all of my bikes are alu. Last it happened was on my fixed gear, spinning at 150+, dropped the chain. Talk about chain suck!

This is one of the reasons I hesitate to get a carbon bike. Wear and tear on a carbon bike can signal the end of it's riding life. I'm still test riding them but even if I find the one sweet ride this would be the thing holding me back from getting one. Am I being too paranoid?

Anyways, sorry for the incident and your loss.

hrv

Strained coccyx etc etc
    i won't have another carbon bike.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    At least bury it right side up!

n00bsauce
    Send the photos to Look and see what they say about it's repariability. They're the only ones I'd trust to do a repair, if it's at all possible. Worth the cost of an email!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Feb 2004
    Did you flush it down the toilet after you took that picture?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Overequipped, underlegged
    DAMN! chainsuck??? looks more like CHAINSAW!
    Any day is a good day to take care of one of your vehicles!

Unlabeled

Sleek Carbon fiber

Sleek carbon fiber
    Snarling steel chain takes a bite
    J needs a new bike

Banned forever.....or not
    Fiber-glass repair, sand, paint, and ebay.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Strained coccyx etc etc

wall art nm

expensive, fast wall art

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I've been thinking about the same thing....

I have not ventured into the world of CF yet, but I'm standing on the doorstep. Got my eye on a '04 Bianchi Virata, it has CF seat and chain stays. I fear chain sawing the stays more than crashing, however I have come to the conclusion when I buy that bike before I even throw a leg over it as the owner, I'm putting one of the anti chainsuck chain watcher thingies on. Recently saw a pic of a pro road rider climbing and sure enough, he had one of those gizmos. If it works and saves my frame just once I think it has more than paid for itself. I'm actually surprised more CF riders don't have them, roadies in general for that matter. I keep my bikes well tuned, but it can/does still happen.

Carleton

Fiberglass Repair??

I think not on that beautiful frame.. only a carbon fiber patch will be sufficient. Stronger, lighter, carbon fiber.

Coco Puff
    Bummer J,

Great close up photos tho. Thanks for the reminder on CF. Chainsuck (like shiht) happens.

RW

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Did you use a BB protecter ring or chain suck protection device like the Third Eye?I actually own the same frame-not built yet from Chuck and want to avoid this fate for my frame.

Ethical Nihilist

Condolences

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the passing of your loved one.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

Apr 2004

Question

How many times did you suffer the chain going into the chainstay before you noticed this big dent?

FTMD
    On my fancy mtb, I cut a coke can into small bits and then ziptied it to the chain stay. Now, my bike is ti, but it has saved the frame from scrapes. I think if it protected a CF chain stay one time, it's worth it.

Feb 2004

I use these

Quote Originally Posted by FTMD
    On my fancy mtb, I cut a coke can into small bits and then ziptied it to the chain stay. Now, my bike is ti, but it has saved the frame from scrapes. I think if it protected a CF chain stay one time, it's worth it.
    I use these on all but my steel Colnago which has chrome stays http://lizardskins.com/chainstay.html
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member

Looks repairable

I'm not a expert on such matters but the damage doesn't look all that bad to me. First off, the location is not in a spot that will put you on your ear if it fails. Strip all the paint off the adjacent area and fashion a patch of some kind: small patch layer followed by larger patch followed by full wrap layer? May look a little cobby but who cares? Nothing to loose at this point.

Good luck.

Ed

Non non normal
    I think it could be patched and even look presentable. I would be much more scared off by the cracked tube in the other post than this damage.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Strained coccyx etc etc

eccentric seat tube

shape of the seat tube prevents use of a third-party chain watcher on this frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast