road bike maintenance with basic tools and wd40? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Alright now! Which one of you meanies hit our troll friend with negative rep?
    red chiclets...it's what's for dinner!
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    You are half right. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. It it doesn't move and it is supposed to, use WD-40
    True words of wisdom, Dave!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Ummm....grampa, you do realize this guy's a TROLL, don't you? Have your cognitive abilities slipped recently?

BTW, I just love that cheap-junk Amazon multi-tool he provides the link to; a bunch of un-hardened and chrome-plated metal wrenches and sockets, AND a set of tire levers, all for $8.66! Wow....
    It was late at night. I was tired.

[REDACTED]
    Ummm....grampa, you do realize this guy's a TROLL, don't you? Have your cognitive abilities slipped recently?

BTW, I just love that cheap-junk Amazon multi-tool he provides the link to; a bunch of un-hardened and chrome-plated metal wrenches and sockets, AND a set of tire levers, all for $8.66! Wow....
    You clicked on a link from a troll with only 5 posts? So much for grandpas whose cognitive abilities have slipped. Pot meet kettle.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    You clicked on a link from a troll with only 5 posts? So much for grandpas whose cognitive abilities have slipped. Pot meet kettle.
    But wait. How many posts does one have to make to overcome troll status? if everyone is acting uppity, it could be driving visitors away. Ya gotta play along, gang, at least for a while. This troll sh!t is getting out of hand. There've been several posters who'd gotten slammed so bad they thought, "FU," and left.

There are ways to make fun of someone without being an A hole. I just did it above. You guys probably took it seriously. Cognitive dissonance, indeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    But wait. How many posts does one have to make to overcome troll status? if everyone is acting uppity, it could be driving visitors away. Ya gotta play along, gang, at least for a while. This troll sh!t is getting out of hand. There've been several posters who'd gotten slammed so bad they thought, "FU," and left.
    So it's not me then - my lack of posts and strange questions is being seen as trolling becuase there's a problem here. Sorry to hear that.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
    So it's not me then - my lack of posts and strange questions is being seen as trolling becuase there's a problem here. Sorry to hear that.
    You're not the troll in this thread. We're talking about Rbtwenty.

And no, we shouldn't assume newbies are trolls. At least I give people the benefit of the doubt. But look at Rbtwenty's posts so far.

There are also trolls here who have posted for ages.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The only tool you really need is an 8 mm L shaped allen wrench. That's it for adjusting brakes and shifting, which adds up to 90% of the maintenance on the bike.
    Always hard to tell when YOU are trolling, but please point to a single point on a modern (last 25 years) bicycle that uses an 8 mm Allen wrench.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Always hard to tell when YOU are trolling, but please point to a single point on a modern (last 25 years) bicycle that uses an 8 mm Allen wrench.
    He IS living in the past. He also believes that a ma$$age with a 'happy ending' is not prostitution, so, yeah, he's living in the WAAAAYYYY past.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Crank bolts (many) and pedals (many).
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Crank bolts (many) and pedals (many).
    Ummm, yep. Really surprised Kerry didn't know that as he seems very knowledgeable and gives good advice overall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Ive updated my thread so that it doesn't use troll-related keywords like wd40.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Man.. you guys are just mean... maybe he/she is not a troll.. just an new uninformed cyclist looking for some help (I got here late so I don't know what links were posted initially)...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtwenty View Post
    Now some folks will look like toolz.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He IS living in the past. He also believes that a ma$$age with a 'happy ending' is not prostitution, so, yeah, he's living in the WAAAAYYYY past.
    Leave politics out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Typo!

That's a five, 5 mm allen wrench, right? The one in the middle of the three most used allen wrenches, 4, 5, and 6 mm? The one that fits brake, derailleur, and brake lever clamp bolts? I've got one nicely polished in the apron pocket. Never left the bench without it!

Yes, I trolled on the WD40. You got me there, Kerry!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtwenty View Post
    Good for you, rb! Defend yourself!

Now that you know, mentioning wd40 is the kiss of death. Although must say, lots of unhip users think its good for just about anything!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Good for you, rb! Defend yourself!

Now that you know, mentioning wd40 is the kiss of death. Although must say, lots of unhip users think its good for just about anything!
    Huh...I use WD all the time...on bicycles.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    It actually does not do a bad job as a quick and dirty lubricant for milling aluminum on my CNC and tapping threads.

[REDACTED]
    It actually does have a place on bicycles. It's a great quick clean for a chain. Wipe with a WD-40 soaked rag. I learned that from our good wheel building friend Mike T.! Seriously, no joke. Come to think of it, we haven't heard from him in a long time. And his website doesn't seem to work anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It actually does have a place on bicycles. It's a great quick clean for a chain. Wipe with a WD-40 soaked rag. I learned that from our good wheel building friend Mike T.! Seriously, no joke. Come to think of it, we haven't heard from him in a long time. And his website doesn't seem to work anymore.
    Surprise, rb! Tacit approval of your choice of lube. The truth revealed! . We had a can at the shop. I always found something better.

Liquid Wrench for rusty bolts. ProLink, Rock n Roll for chains. Tiny drop of teflon oil or grease fingered on spoke threads and bolt threads. Thick, waterproof Chain L for commuting.

Hear tell gun nuts rub WD40 on their gun barrels to keep them from rusting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In this pic in my shop, you'll notice a gallon of wd-40 on the lowest shelf.

It's there because this is a SHOP! More than bicycles occur here and WD does have it's moments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I'm now humbly corrected. Here's an interesting video on the many uses of that wonderful stuff, WD-40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xepEEBTgxjQ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Well, I'm now humbly corrected. Here's an interesting video on the many uses of that wonderful stuff, WD-40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xepEEBTgxjQ
    I don't believe I own a single can of WD-40. I do however own several cans of the Boeing developed equivalent (Boeshield T-9).

I use it for a lot of things, but mostly, I spray it on stem and handlebar bolts, seatpost fixing bolts, fender/rack blots, etc... Stuff that might benefit from some corrosion resistance. It also works inside steel frames (ala "frame saver", and is better than lemon pledge for wiping down Titanium stuff and making it look new again. Wipe it on the inside of fenders and stuff won't stick to them as much. I keep a rag handy that is lightly soaked with the stuff and wipe down my bikes, including carbon wheels (not brake tracks though) with it. It's not a substitute for a degreaser, etc.. but when I clean my bikes, as soon as they are dry, they get a wipe down with T9.

Don't put it on heavy, and give it time to dry (overnight) or it may collect some dust.

I don't recommend it for chain lube, etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12