• 05-09-2019
    rbtwenty
    road bike maintenance with basic tools and penetrating oil?
    I would like to maintain my bike even though I know nothing about maintenance. I only have the most basic tools at my disposal (a multifunction bike tool kit and some other tools) and a can of penetrating oil and water-displacing spray.

Is there a tutorial that will show me how to maintain my bike with only these tools and penetrating oil? At least for now I can't buy more stuff.

I currently have a carbon road bike.

Thanks.
  • 05-09-2019
    jetdog9
    Try harder if you really want to fool people with your wowtow spam. And search YouTube.
  • 05-09-2019
    Oxtox
    gonna wager this one goes 100 posts and at least one person gets banned.
  • 05-09-2019
    jetdog9
    At least one from cxwrench admonishing OP for not posting in Components and Wrenching!
  • 05-09-2019
    ngl
    Try one of your LBS. Most offer basic maintenance courses.
  • 05-09-2019
    cxwrench
    No comment.
  • 05-09-2019
    tlg
    Duct tape. All ya need is duct tape and you can fix anything.
  • 05-09-2019
    cxwrench
    I always heard it was a hammer and a torch.

And WD 40 of course.
  • 05-09-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

And WD 40 of course.

An assortment of hammers. While a really large hammer is an indispensable tool, it would really be overkill for adjusting a derailleur, where a smaller hammer is all that is really needed. But to be honest about the torch, unless one is building a frame from a tubeset it's really nothing more than a fancy cigarette lighter.

The WD 40 is almost as important as the hammers.
  • 05-09-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

No comment.

Quote:

And WD 40 of course.

te he he heeeeeeeeeeee
  • 05-09-2019
    Finx
    Quote:

No comment.

Boooo,

Please go post this in the "Copout" forum [emoji41]
  • 05-09-2019
    bmach
    You tube, gcn and artís cyclery are good places to start for vids on maintainence. Good luck.
  • 05-10-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

And WD 40 of course.

But it must be an acetylene torch.

Of course WD-40 and duct tape. This goes without saying.
  • 05-10-2019
    DaveG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Duct tape. All ya need is duct tape and you can fix anything.

You are half right. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. It it doesn't move and it is supposed to, use WD-40
  • 05-10-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    An assortment of hammers.

always carry a small folding hammer on the bike for road-side emergencies...

never leave home without it.
  • 05-10-2019
    Kerry Irons
    Quote:

And WD 40 of course.

Chewing gum and baling wire? And of course duct tape and Channel Locks.
  • 05-10-2019
    ROAD&DIRT
    Oh don't forget the Arc-welder for tightening up those pesky little screws and eliminating any creaks :thumbsup:
  • 05-10-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    You are half right. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. It it doesn't move and it is supposed to, use WD-40

^Good one!^
  • 05-10-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Chewing gum and baling wire? And of course duct tape and Channel Locks.

Channel Locks, my gosh yes. That's like having a tool box full of wrenches.
  • 05-10-2019
    blackfrancois
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rbtwenty View Post
    I only have the most basic tools at my disposal (a wotow multifunction tool kit and some other tools) and a can of WD40.

tool, that's not a bad tool, i guess. but the three sockets should include a 10mm and a 5/16" ... at least, for me.
  • 05-10-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Another troll thread which deserves to die a quick death. Once magic word "WD-40" is mentioned........
  • 05-10-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Hahaha, literally LOL! Hahaha!
  • 05-10-2019
    Fredrico
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Hahaha, literally LOL! Hahaha!

WD40 is as old as 1/4" chains. Goes waayyy back before time as we know it. Lots of riders have used it for everything!

It works great if you don't mind wiping off the chain, derailleurs, gears, rear wheel spokes and rim brake surfaces lots of times. :D Buy some lighter weight, drier lube from the LBS. Pivot bushings take WD40 just fine once a year or so, if you have a can around from other household chores.

The only tool you really need is an 8 mm L shaped allen wrench. That's it for adjusting brakes and shifting, which adds up to 90% of the maintenance on the bike.

Get the bike off the floor, see how it works; turn the crank, work the brakes and shifters, wiggle the crank, headset and wheels to check for loose bearings, and there ya go! :thumbsup:

Easy to figure out, except bearings, that is. And nasty press fit bottom brackets. Those issues use proprietary tools and can be resolved at the local bike shop.

Bikes are a piece of cake to work on. Go for it. Ignore fools!
  • 05-11-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Ummm....grampa, you do realize this guy's a TROLL, don't you? Have your cognitive abilities slipped recently?

BTW, I just love that cheap-junk Amazon multi-tool he provides the link to; a bunch of un-hardened and chrome-plated metal wrenches and sockets, AND a set of tire levers, all for $8.66! Wow....
  • 05-11-2019
    Lombard
    Alright now! Which one of you meanies hit our troll friend with negative rep?