Road bike newbie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020

Road bike newbie

Hello all... long time bmx and mountain biker just about to get started in road biking. I received a hand-me-down from my father-in-law that Iím hoping to get back on the road. Bike is a 90ís era Specialized Epic. It needs a shifter but Iíll post that in the Wanted section. After some Googling, these donít seem too easy to come by. Looking forward to learning on this forum as I go.

Banned forever.....or not
    Old, out of production parts can often be found on eBay.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Russian Troll Farmer
    The Specialized Epic is NOT a road bike.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yea they were

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It most certainly was. I had a '94 Epic Comp. Carbon tubes glued to Al lugs, Shimano 105 group. To the OP, these had a reputation for galvanic corrosion, which was an interaction between the carbon and aluminum. If you see a white powdery substance at the edge of the lugs that is it. I ran my Epic for maybe 20K miles and sold it for another bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It most certainly was. I had a '94 Epic Comp. Carbon tubes glued to Al lugs, Shimano 105 group. To the OP, these had a reputation for galvanic corrosion, which was an interaction between the carbon and aluminum. If you see a white powdery substance at the edge of the lugs that is it. I ran my Epic for maybe 20K miles and sold it for another bike.
    I did read about this, but I donít see any signs of it. From what I understand, the bike was barely ridden and stored in a dry basement for many years. I also took it to the local shop to diagnose the shifter issue, and they told me about it as well. They looked it over and said it was good-to-go and definitely worth getting back on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rdub231 View Post
    I did read about this, but I donít see any signs of it. From what I understand, the bike was barely ridden and stored in a dry basement for many years. I also took it to the local shop to diagnose the shifter issue, and they told me about it as well. They looked it over and said it was good-to-go and definitely worth getting back on the road.
    If you don't see any evidence of galvanic correction, that is good news. If its it good condition, then ride the daylights out if it. I assume its 8 speed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    If you don't see any evidence of galvanic correction, that is good news. If its it good condition, then ride the daylights out if it. I assume its 8 speed?
    Yes, 8 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Those are down tube shifters! Tons on ebay or/and new. Don't see how those could be broke, probably just need some TLC!

It has paired spoke wheels!!!!! Watch out for the spokes pulling through, mine never did, but many reported that problem.
    BANNED

banned
    Mar 2019
    10 Hail Tig's, and 3 Hail Lombard's my son...
    Forgiven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Those are down tube shifters! Tons on ebay or/and new. Don't see how those could be broke, probably just need some TLC!

It has paired spoke wheels!!!!! Watch out for the spokes pulling through, mine never did, but many reported that problem.
    This particular bike does not have the downtube shifters as pictured below. Itís got Shimano 105 (ST1055). You canít find replacements, so Iím sending the non-functional one out for repair.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    This particular bike does not have the downtube shifters as pictured below. Itís got Shimano 105 (ST1055). You canít find replacements, so Iím sending the non-functional one out for repair.
    Those shifters are not repairable. Is the paddle moving and nothing happening? This usually 'fixable' by spraying degreaser or WD40 into the shift cable port and shifting the thing back and forth. The grease used in production gets sticky over the years and some WD will loosen it up. Shimano shifters rarely if ever break. Unless you have the same stuff Shimano has for building the shifters you can't take them apart and then successfully put them back together. This is common knowledge and anyone that claims to be able to 'fix' them is generally gonna be not-so-highly though of.
    #promechaniclife

Wrong.

Again.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Those shifters are not repairable. Is the paddle moving and nothing happening? This usually 'fixable' by spraying degreaser or WD40 into the shift cable port and shifting the thing back and forth. The grease used in production gets sticky over the years and some WD will loosen it up. Shimano shifters rarely if ever break. Unless you have the same stuff Shimano has for building the shifters you can't take them apart and then successfully put them back together. This is common knowledge and anyone that claims to be able to 'fix' them is generally gonna be not-so-highly though of.
    Yep, one good use of WD40. First line of defense. Works many times when all is cast in doubt!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yep, one good use of WD40. First line of defense. Works many times when all is cast in doubt!
    Tried that, and also brought it to the LBS to see if they could get it working. They could not. I was searching the interwebs and came across this site. Seemed pretty legit to me...?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sti-repair.html

Tried that, and also brought it to the LBS to see if they could get it working. They could not. I was searching the interwebs and came across this site. Seemed pretty legit to me...?

Go for it...bearing in mind that every other mechanic in the country won't touch them. They're not meant to be repairable.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    If it canít get repaired, what are my options? What brake/shifter components would I need to replace?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Hell, if it's already broke, it won't hurt to try and fix it. What do you have to lose? You might be able to get it working...never know until you try it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, Specialized has sold an "Epic" for several years now that's basically a singletrack bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ep...ext=97620-3101
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    FWIW, Specialized has sold an "Epic" for several years now that's basically a singletrack bike.

Best to Google first before firing from the holster

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, Specialized has sold an "Epic" for several years now
    quite a few. 17 years

https://bikemagic.com/bikes/2003-spe...evolution.html

banned
    Mar 2019

tou∑chť
    /to͞oˈSHā/

I say.. Brilliant re-tort.
    Last edited by rudge66; 07-22-2020 at 03:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Great, a track bike with downtube shifters. Just go back to single speed!
    BANNED

If it canít get repaired, what are my options? What brake/shifter components would I need to replace?
    Shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain, crank/bottom bracket, and rear wheel.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    8 speed, huh?

Heck, just find an 8 speed shifter and slap it on there. Put it on the down tube boss if you can't find an 8 speed brake lever shifter.

8 speed down tube shifters must still be available. They're so simple and reliable. Just clean 'em once in a while to get the dirt from the front wheel out of 'em. They're reachable without upsetting balance, so aren't a big deal unless in a really competitive situation where fast shifts are important. Relax and enjoy the ride!

Deftly reaching down is a more elegant way of shifting compared to whacking the brake levers, always seemed to me. But what do I know. Never rode STI. Fixed a million of those damn things, that's why. Never had to replace down tube shifters. They're lighter, more aero, and take weight off the handlebars. Superior engineering, IME, if you're looking for one less thing to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast