Road incline

Thread: Road incline

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Road incline

I am new to the GPS cycle computer thing. Do any of them accurately display the incline (or decline) of the road you are riding on?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    I am new to the GPS cycle computer thing. Do any of them accurately display the incline (or decline) of the road you are riding on?
    Yes.

I know a guy I ride with has that feature but that's all I can tell you. (actually I'm not positive he has declines but know for sure his thing reports incline)

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Do any of them accurately display
    Yes they show the grade. Positive or negative.

How do you define "accurately"?

For most purposes they are accurate enough.
    On really short/steep sections, they don't always get the grade right. I believe it's due to the barometric sensor not being fast or accurate enough to sense the changes.

Over the course of an entire ride the total recorded elevation can vary 20% from one device to another.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I have noticed that with our Apple watches. My wife and I will go out for a morning ride, ride the exact same route, riding together at the same pace, and when we get home one of us will have climbed 650 feet and the other may vary by 50-75 feet.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have noticed that with our Apple watches. My wife and I will go out for a morning ride, ride the exact same route, riding together at the same pace, and when we get home one of us will have climbed 650 feet and the other may vary by 50-75 feet.
    This will explain it in more detail
    https://www.correrunamaraton.com/en/...ter-barometer/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't think GPS units always use barimetric pressure, I don't think my cateye does. I would think if it does, it is not as accurate.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    My antique Garmin 800 shows degree of slope up and down but can be quite slow to update when riding in a wooded area.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    My antique Garmin 800 shows degree of slope up and down but can be quite slow to update when riding in a wooded area.
    I have a 10 year old 800 also. Still going very strong. It has a barometric altimeter which is generally reliable although it can take a few minutes to settle out, but it generally matches the posted altitude with 10-15 feet of posted altitudes on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The gradients, I assume are accurate as they are generally reproducible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I have a 10 year old 800 also. Still going very strong. It has a barometric altimeter which is generally reliable although it can take a few minutes to settle out, but it generally matches the posted altitude with 10-15 feet of posted altitudes on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The gradients, I assume are accurate as they are generally reproducible.
    Yes, still rocking my old 800 unit as well. It does display grade, with a bit of lag as noted. I notice it also stops reporting at speeds under about 3MPH/5KPH, so when I'm on long climbs on dirt trails, I can't see the grade. But when I ride back down, I can get an idea of what the grade was. For me, when the grade display blanks out, I know it's steep, like over 15%:
    https://youtu.be/0xBp25pXxY4

And if I look at the same ride segments on-line, the grade numbers are within a few percent.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-07-2020 at 10:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Rockin an old Garmin 500. Displays % grade up and down. Struggles to display it when I am going very slow. Otherwise works fine.
    I would be surprised if any modern cycle GPS does not have grade % available for display.

Never Give Up!
    My Garmin 500 displays % gradient up and down accurate enough for me to know when I'm suffering enough or not!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I've got an older Garmin, 510 I think, that displays the grade. I never look at it. If it's steep enough that I care what it is I'd rather not know until I'm done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In the mountains, the Garmin (regardless of model) always underestimate elevation gained, and so by extension, it'll also underestimate gradient, when compared to Strava corrected elevation.

Along the coast, they are much closer to Strava, and sometimes the Garmin even overestimate elevation gained here by a tad, but over all, they're pretty close to Strava.

I'm assuming Strava is more accurate since it is pulling elevation data from survey maps?

So, barometric