Road Wheels

Thread: Road Wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Question Road Wheels

Has anyone bought wheels from Odds & Endos? He seems very knowledgable & has fair prices. Thanks for any feedback.

Bruce

Arrogant roadie.....
    No, but I bought a fair amount of stuff from him about 1 year ago. His prices seemed good, but the service was awful. He screwed up the spoke sizes I ordered twice (I now have some 100-odd spokes of various sizes in my garage as a result..), communication with them was nearly non-existent, promises of delivery were broken, my order was spit into 2 deliveries, and some of the stuff was never sent. Some of the people he has working for him seem to be nothing short of stupid. In the end, the amount I saved wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with him.

Don't expect honest answers, good service, or prompt delivery.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

eminence grease
    Well apparently he's turned it around - bought a set of wheels from him last week, he built them when he said he would, shipped them on time and I had them when expected. We played phone tag a couple of times, and he got back to me immediately. Even took my call when he was out driving around running errands. We had a great conversation about my requirements (and an hour worth of other cycling things.)

The wheels are great, they arrived with the best packaging I've ever seen. Sent with spare spokes and certified weights.

Maybe I got lucky, but I'd buy again from him in a minute.

Given all that, I will say that I'd written him off once in the past - no answer to emails making me wonder why businesses have email if they're not going to answer it (this is something that aggravates the hell out of me.)

I took a chance because $335 for a nicely built 1400g wheelset was too hard to ignore. Next bike I build, I'm taking the chance again.

RoadBikeReview Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Well apparently he's turned it around - bought a set of wheels from him last week, he built them when he said he would, shipped them on time and I had them when expected. We played phone tag a couple of times, and he got back to me immediately. Even took my call when he was out driving around running errands. We had a great conversation about my requirements (and an hour worth of other cycling things.)

The wheels are great, they arrived with the best packaging I've ever seen. Sent with spare spokes and certified weights.

Maybe I got lucky, but I'd buy again from him in a minute.

Given all that, I will say that I'd written him off once in the past - no answer to emails making me wonder why businesses have email if they're not going to answer it (this is something that aggravates the hell out of me.)

I took a chance because $335 for a nicely built 1400g wheelset was too hard to ignore. Next bike I build, I'm taking the chance again.
    I am waiting on a set of wheels from Mike and expect them this week. I had searched the archives and read nothing but good things about him, including your post. Like you, I also spent significant time on the phone with him. I ended up ordering my fiance a set of Velocity black anodized rims, black (only option) Speedcific Perception hubs, silver bladed spokes and silver alloy nipples. 24 Wheelsmith AE15 radially laced spokes up front and 28 spoke rear with Wheelsmith AE15 2x non-drive and Wheelsmith XE14 3x drive side. Claimed weight is only 1448g! Considering she now has a 1870g wheelset, this should be a considerable improvement, as the bike is dropping almost a pound and at the wheels! I also chose the ti skewer upgrade for only $11 more, bringing the total to only $309. Can't wait to get them.
    -Jeff

Cipo's long lost cousin

No issues

From what I can tell Mike is pretty much a one man show. I've ordered rims, spokes, and other parts from him and have always had good service. He's very knowledgeable and shows a true concern for his customers. Mike is also not afraid to venture outside of the common stuff you see these days (Mavic, Shimano, Campy). His Soul Kozac (Speedcific) product lines are a good example of some of this variety...

Note that your probably want to get him by phone to discuss your order. Mike takes a little longer with e-mails since his business has grown. I'll do business with him in the future...

Final note, he's also a regular on MTBr's wheelbuilding and save some weight forum and sometimes on RBR. Mike posts at "Bianchi4me". That's another reason to support the guy!
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

eminence grease
    The skewers are great - 40g rear and 36g front. As an $11 upgrade too good to pass up. They're even worth it for the regular $29 price. I bought 2 more pair.

RoadBikeReview Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    The skewers are great - 40g rear and 36g front. As an $11 upgrade too good to pass up. They're even worth it for the regular $29 price. I bought 2 more pair.
    Forgot to mention - I chose the Velocity Aeroheads. Did you choose the same? If so, are those the Aeroheads on that recent pic you posted of your Vanilla?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

B2
    You talking to me?

No problems here

Quote Originally Posted by brucejo
    Has anyone bought wheels from Odds & Endos? He seems very knowledgable & has fair prices. Thanks for any feedback.

Bruce
    I bought some spokes once and some skewers another time. Both orders were packaged correctly and shipped promptly. Shipping was very reasonable. No issues.

I have recently been corresponding with MIke via email about a wheel build and he has returned the emails, although with about a two to three day lag. As others have mentioned, I think he much prefers the telephone.

Bryan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Bruce
    he's a little slow with the email, but that's it. call and everything will be done right.
    got a pair of Ritchey DS Aero rims (OCR rear), WS BD14s driveside, AE15s everywhere else, Am Classic micro hubs. very satisfied and around 1500g. they got damaged in a car accident, and we're keeping the bike until my lawyer can get the witnesses interviewed (it was a BAD accident). he'll rebuild them at his cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jtferraro
    I am waiting on a set of wheels from Mike and expect them this week. I had searched the archives and read nothing but good things about him, including your post. Like you, I also spent significant time on the phone with him. I ended up ordering my fiance a set of Velocity black anodized rims, black (only option) Speedcific Perception hubs, silver bladed spokes and silver alloy nipples. 24 Wheelsmith AE15 radially laced spokes up front and 28 spoke rear with Wheelsmith AE15 2x non-drive and Wheelsmith XE14 3x drive side. Claimed weight is only 1448g! Considering she now has a 1870g wheelset, this should be a considerable improvement, as the bike is dropping almost a pound and at the wheels! I also chose the ti skewer upgrade for only $11 more, bringing the total to only $309. Can't wait to get them.
    Did you get your wheels? Have you ridden them? I think I'm going to call him this week & order either the Velocity or the IRD Cadence rimes (which seem scary light). Thanks for your earlier reply!
    Bruce

Dec 2001

I emailed him about a year ago...

Took a day or two to get a reply which isn't bad and he was very thorough in his answer. I was getting ready to place an order and then came across another deal from a friend that I couldn't pass up, but based on his response to me and other people's experiences, I'll buy from him next time I need wheels.

It is definitely best to call him. Email takes a long time and he probably gets lots of them from people like me who are too lazy to just call him. And, it is also easy to bug people from behind your computer without being a serious customer, which wastes his time.

RoadBikeReview Addict
    Did you get your wheels? Have you ridden them? I think I'm going to call him this week & order either the Velocity or the IRD Cadence rimes (which seem scary light). Thanks for your earlier reply!
    Bruce
    Still haven't received them. I sure hope they arrive today, as he's already charged me for them. I called him last week b/c they should have been here by now and he apologized and said he had run out of spokes but that they just arrived back in.
    -Jeff