Roland Della Santa
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    There was a time when we bought Trek, Specialized & Cannondale because we had limited access to artisan frame builders. Today, most know of the major builders first, then discover custom builders if we're lucky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    There was a time when we bought Trek, Specialized & Cannondale because we had limited access to artisan frame builders. Today, most know of the major builders first, then discover custom builders if we're lucky.
    I'm so happy that I got my Della Santa back in 2013. I was worried about him retiring and wanted to get one before that happened, but I was really surprised and saddened by this. His web presence was just updated, and it seemed he was looking to get more active building bikes again. Considering what he charged for a hand made bicycle, I'm surprised he was busier than he was. The couple of times I spoke with him on the phone while discussing my bike were a real pleasure, he seemed like a hell of a guy.

RIP
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd been contemplating a Pegoretti a year or so ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'd been contemplating a Pegoretti a year or so ago.
    Pegoretti's are still being built, and probably by the same folks that were building them while he was at the masthead. But, yeah, you shoulda got one.
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Pegoretti's are still being built, and probably by the same folks that were building them while he was at the masthead. But, yeah, you shoulda got one.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. His son was in the business with him, and who knows how much was his work versus someone else's when he was alive. Still , the tube combinations and design were and still are his. From what I understand, Della Santa was a one man show kind of like Tom Kellogg who has announced that he's closing up. Is anyone replacing these guys? Can they?

I hope you can't put 28mm tires on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. His son was in the business with him, and who knows how much was his work versus someone else's when he was alive. Still , the tube combinations and design were and still are his. From what I understand, Della Santa was a one man show kind of like Tom Kellogg who has announced that he's closing up. Is anyone replacing these guys? Can they?

I hope you can't put 28mm tires on it.
    I think when Della Santa was producing larger numbers of frames there were employees, but I don't know in what capacity. I seem to remember reading somewhere, I don't remember where, that Roland had an apprentice at one point that is building bikes under his own brand. If I find that I'll link it here.

You got your wish, the bike is pretty much maxed out with 25's. When tire time comes a set of 26mm Compass\Rene Herse Cayuse Pass tires will be ordered. 28's would sure be nice tho.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic