Rollers 3 inch vs. 4.5 inch drums
    RoadBikeReview Member

Rollers 3 inch vs. 4.5 inch drums

What are the advantages and disadvantages to the different drum sizes available for rollers? I'd like to purchase some rollers but not sure what drum size to get. I've never used rollers before and ride about 2500 miles per year on the road and MTB.

Thanks...Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    The bigger the drum diameter, the less rolling resistance. Check out http://www.kreitler.com/product.php?section=product where you should fine info to help choose drum size and resistance options.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Yup! What RHankey said.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Out of work goaltender
    I'd go with the 3 inchers, the smaller drum makes it 0.75" less to fall when you space out. If possible get one with a magnetic resistance unit.

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    I've had a set of Kreitler poly-lytes (which they now call the challenger 3.0 rollers) for a while now. I've been really well pleased with them. If you're not going to add a headwind unit, I think this offers a good range of work load -- it's an easy spin in the little ring, and you can do some real work if you put it in a big gear and keep the rpms up. There's no huge gear to grind, but that's not why you want rollers.