Roof mount - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof mount

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I have never had any of those problems, and I had carted my bikes on the roof for 5+ years.

Attachment 322800
    nice colour car ;)

there is the difference. I've lived with roof racks on and off for 40 years ;) I'v driven into something once, my dad another time, and a valet one time. I'm still taking the risk on my current car though I'd feel much better if I had a hitch rack

Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    FYI, you are more likely to do much more damage to your car if you get rear ended with a hitch mount. The Hitch mount is attached to the frame, a bent frame is much more expensive, if not a total write off possibly. Cars are designed to take hits on the bumper, resulting in more aesthetic damage, but repairable. Same goes if you mess up your roof from driving into a garage with bikes on it, or anything else, but the support structure of the car will remain in tact.
    something like a 1upUSA hitch rack is all aluminum - it ain't gonna damage any car frame, it'll fold like a beer can
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    well in my case if the bikes get crunched that is a lot less painful ($) than if the butt of my mercedes getting crunched. but I mean - I've never seen it happen and I assume you know how to drive a car??
    Dollar wise, I'm thinking the insurance deductible is the same whether it's the bikes or the rear of the car or both that get crunched.

Keep in mind that just because YOU know how to drive a car doesn't mean the a-hole behind you does.

And if the back of my car get's crunched and my bikes are on the roof, I can still ride my bikes and the car will most likely still be driveable.

And not all of us own a Mercedes. Emotionally, I have more attachments to my bikes than my car.

Roof "errors"? I don't do drive-thru restaurants and can't remember the last time I had a valet drive my car. Ferries haven't been a problem as the ones I've been on have always had spaces high enough. No up charges either.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    I'm always afraid that when I'm driving and suddenly stop and the car at my back would just crash my https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/soa567b050.html. It is little expensive but it's thule and my bike deserves that.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by surething View Post
    I'm always afraid that when I'm driving and suddenly stop and the car at my back would just crash my https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/soa567b050.html. It is little expensive but it's thule and my bike deserves that.
    If I were to get a hitch mounted rack, I would get one with wheel trays. I really don't like having the bikes just hang.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12