Which saddle bag and what to put in it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by bespoke View Post
    So, for the tupperware of leftovers did you also include some silverware and a picnic set for an al fresco lunch on the road?
    ummm ... i really needed a microwave and a spoon.

    that davidson is an '84. i sold it late last year and bought two others from '87. then, this week, i bought another from '82. i can't stop.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,202
    I know that search and thread history arenít very friendly on this site, even easy attempts can yield lots of great results. This is a pretty common topic. There are extremely well thought out posts to be had if you look.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    20
    I found a really inexpensive bag on Amazon called the BV Bicycle Strap-on Bicycle saddle bag in a large size, but it expands from 0.7 to 1.0 liter, for just $10 a couple of years ago and the darn thing works great (it went up to $12), in fact it's holding up better than my previous $24 bag! The fabric feels thick and very durable. It's big enough to hold my extra tube, a mini tool, usual affair of tire fixing tools, and of course patch kit and still have space for the cell phone and a protein bar. It even has a strap on the back to hang a light but I hang mine on the seat tube; and it has reflective stripping. That price can't be beat for this sort of quality and expansion ability.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,808
    I prefer using a frame bag. Easy to get into while you are riding, keeps the weight low, and it's big without being an aero drag.

    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I prefer using a frame bag. Easy to get into while you are riding, keeps the weight low, and it's big without being an aero drag.

    Not sure what you mean by aero drag, I think you mean those huge suitcase style seat bags, I can see your point with those especially if that's all your using in regards to bags.

    But I tour with rear panniers and handlebar bags, and being aero is the last thing on my mind when touring. I'm not going all that fast anyways to make much of an effect with being aero when touring, also when touring people are carry a lot of extra weight, and they're using wide heavy tires, they're setting more upright, so really being aero just doesn't come into the equation; in fact having more aero dynamic drag helps with keeping the bike at a slower descent speed down steep roads.

  6. #31
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
    I found a really inexpensive bag on Amazon called the BV Bicycle Strap-on Bicycle saddle bag in a large size, but it expands from 0.7 to 1.0 liter, for just $10 a couple of years ago and the darn thing works great (it went up to $12), in fact it's holding up better than my previous $24 bag! The fabric feels thick and very durable. It's big enough to hold my extra tube, a mini tool, usual affair of tire fixing tools, and of course patch kit and still have space for the cell phone and a protein bar. It even has a strap on the back to hang a light but I hang mine on the seat tube; and it has reflective stripping. That price can't be beat for this sort of quality and expansion ability.
    Thanks for the tip. I looked this up on Amazon and I think I might give the medium bag a try. I use a frame pump so don't need to put cartridges in it, but it would be nice to fit my small cell phone (Apple SE) and I think the medium size would work. I'm going to order one and try it out. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

    https://www.amazon.com/BV-Bicycle-St...bag&th=1&psc=1

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    927
    I just carry everything in a ziplock bag in my back pocket. Tube, irons, co2, cash, expired id, etc. I used to have one but when it eventually wore out and had a strap break I was slow to replace and got used to the look of the bike without the luggage.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    271
    Just replaced this.

    5DM36688.jpg

    With this.

    5DM36686.jpg

    Works much better and takes up a whole lot less space in my small bag.

    5DM36690.jpg
    Last edited by Methodical; 02-01-2019 at 01:35 PM.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I just carry everything in a ziplock bag in my back pocket. Tube, irons, co2, cash, expired id, etc. I used to have one but when it eventually wore out and had a strap break I was slow to replace and got used to the look of the bike without the luggage.
    The problem with carrying stuff in a rear jersey pocket is if you crash and by chance land with your full body weight on something hard like a CO2 cart it can badly bruise a kidney or damage a back; or while your crashing the jersey moves just right to get the tire iron to move and then you land getting stabbed somewhere. Not possible you say? I knew a guy whos mini frame pump ruined his back in a crash and needed fusion not to mention he couldn't ride his bike anymore without signicant pain.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
    The problem with carrying stuff in a rear jersey pocket is if you crash and by chance land with your full body weight on something hard like a CO2 cart it can badly bruise a kidney or damage a back; or while your crashing the jersey moves just right to get the tire iron to move and then you land getting stabbed somewhere. Not possible you say? I knew a guy whos mini frame pump ruined his back in a crash and needed fusion not to mention he couldn't ride his bike anymore without signicant pain.
    Also you look like a domestique running errands for the team leader.
    Too old to ride plastic

  11. #36
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I gave an handlebar bag a try and have been quite happy with it. It gets in the way of riding on the tops, but I never spent much time there anyhow. There's plenty of room in the bag, doesn't affect the handling and is pretty unobtrusive, well except for riding on the tops. Mine is a canvas Acorn, but there are other brands and materials out there. ........
    I have an older Cannondale-branded handlebar bag which has a removable mount. this way it keeps from constricting your cables under the bar tape, you can easily remove it to bring inside, and it doesn't flop to and fro while riding, either.

    Here's a pic of it on the bike. I know that this model was still being made only a couple of years ago, but not sold under the Cannondale brand. Costs a bit over $50, if I remember correctly.
    DSCF0008.JPG
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    271
    The crashing scenario sounds very plausible. I can see some of that happening, too, not for me. I'd rather keep all that crap in the bag. It probably doesn't feel too comfortable with all that stuff, stuffed in a jersey pocket, either, but whatever one likes.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Also you look like a domestique running errands for the team leader.
    Hardly, it all fits in a sandwich ziploc with some room to spare. I still have room for a century's worth of gels/bars in the 2nd pocket and phone in 3rd. If I crash there are plenty of hard objects to injure myself on including the bike itself, other bikes, rocks etc.

    If anything I need to stop being cheap and pick up something like this:
    https://www.sfbags.com/products/cycling-ride-pouch

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    If I crash there are plenty of hard objects to injure myself on including the bike itself, other bikes, rocks etc.
    But what the other guys are saying is, why not reduce the risk.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    ...If anything I need to stop being cheap and pick up something like this:
    https://www.sfbags.com/products/cycling-ride-pouch
    FWIW, Sticky Pod is $17...they have two different sizes:


  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Hardly, it all fits in a sandwich ziploc with some room to spare. I still have room for a century's worth of gels/bars in the 2nd pocket and phone in 3rd. If I crash there are plenty of hard objects to injure myself on including the bike itself, other bikes, rocks etc.

    If anything I need to stop being cheap and pick up something like this:
    https://www.sfbags.com/products/cycling-ride-pouch
    I use two heavy-duty ziploks (not the wimpy sammie bags) that some Amazon purchases came in..

    two tubes in one in the left pocket, CO2 rig, carts, tire levers in the other on the right. they roll up very compactly and don't even completely fill the pocket. leaves the center pocket for phone, windbreaker, arm warmers, etc.

    that Waterfield product looks nice, but no way I'm spending $80 for something that free ziploks accomplish nicely.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,202
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    FWIW, Sticky Pod is $17...they have two different sizes:

    Thats what I use, I have both sizes but I almost always use the small one. Great company to deal with also. I donít use a saddle bag but I know that the risk on added injury is there, especially from the mini pump I carry in my pocket.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Thats what I use, I have both sizes but I almost always use the small one. Great company to deal with also. I donít use a saddle bag but I know that the risk on added injury is there, especially from the mini pump I carry in my pocket.
    Well at least put the tube in a tube sock to keep it from getting punctured; by tube sock I don't mean what the picture shows; but rather this: https://biketubebrand.com/accessories/tubesock

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    FWIW, Sticky Pod is $17...they have two different sizes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I use two heavy-duty ziploks (not the wimpy sammie bags) that some Amazon purchases came in..
    ...
    that Waterfield product looks nice, but no way I'm spending $80 for something that free ziploks accomplish nicely.
    The waterfield was just one of the first things that came up on google and not necessarily the specific ones I had seen in the past, and while it does seem nice it's more than I'm willing to spend. The previous ones I had seen weren't cheap either.

    The sticky pod for $17 on the other hand seems like an excellent option. I'll probably order one of those for the start of the season. I would probably go with the smaller one as well. I typically have phone in its own pocket for easy access so there should be plenty of room in there for all the essentials.

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The waterfield was just one of the first things that came up on google and not necessarily the specific ones I had seen in the past, and while it does seem nice it's more than I'm willing to spend. The previous ones I had seen weren't cheap either.

    The sticky pod for $17 on the other hand seems like an excellent option. I'll probably order one of those for the start of the season. I would probably go with the smaller one as well. I typically have phone in its own pocket for easy access so there should be plenty of room in there for all the essentials.
    One of these days I'll make the effort to get my (2) tubes to fit like in the picture, so I can carry my phone in there as well. It'll free up a jersey pocket as I carry it in a separate pouch. I'll have to get the current sticky pod though...I have the older one and it doesn't have the sealed section.

    That Waterfield is nice though. If going for the Sicky Pod, get (2), just in case. It may have zipper issues if it has to stretch too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Saddle / Saddle Bag Advice
    By 16k-rpm in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2016, 06:49 AM
  2. Top tube bag vs. Under saddle bag
    By pittcanna in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 07:40 AM
  3. Topeak Saddle Bag and Aliante saddle
    By boneman in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
  4. large saddle bag vs seat post rack/bag - need advice.
    By jtelli71 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
  5. Front Rack/Bag vs. Saddle Bag/Support
    By empty_set in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.