Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Which saddle bag and what to put in it?

I need a new saddle bag and am wondering which one and size I should get. Also what should I keep in it for short ~1 hour rides - a tube, pump (any recommendations?), multitool, couple bucks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    For the road bike I carry stuff thatíll let me keep riding if I get a flat or fixable mechanical a mile from the house. 2 tubes, CO2 inflator with 2 CO2ís, mini pump, Topeak Alien tool, tire boot. So a medium sized under seat bag that also has a rear red blinking attached. I always carry my phone, ATM card and emergency in a zip lock baggie in my jersey pocket.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a tube, levers, and CO2 cartriges if I want, if not I carry a small pump in my jersey.
    I have also found that if these bags are 2.5" wide or so and not tapered to the width of a seat tube, they rub against your shorts or tights and abrade them pretty badly. Be looking for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    I have a tube, levers, and CO2 cartriges if I want, if not I carry a small pump in my jersey.
    I have also found that if these bags are 2.5" wide or so and not tapered to the width of a seat tube, they rub against your shorts or tights and abrade them pretty badly. Be looking for that.
    I use a large avenir saddle bag and the chafing is a problem. The bag isn't unusable but it's a distraction and a nuisance. I'll probably have to go one size down and get the same or similar in a medium.

I pack:
    -tire levers
    -patch kit
    -spare tube
    -multitool
    -keys
    -wallet
    -cell phone

The bag is expandable so I can easily carry more stuff if I wanted to.

In addition to the chafing, the bag's construction is flexy vinyl so it sways from side to side and doesn't stay in place as I'd like.

It would really suck if the med. bag chafed as well. I'd have to carry a camelbak or use a frame bag and I'm not keen on either option quite frankly.

edit: I should probably pack a chain tool and a couple of master links but haven't so far.

I use a mini pump with a clip that's attached under the water bottle bosses. The mini pump only gets me to 40-50 psi so again, I'll probably have to replace that as well. Or, get co2 cartridges which I've never used. I usually get slow leaks rather than complete flats so it hasn't been a significant issue so far.
    Last edited by usaroads; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    For the road bike I carry stuff thatíll let me keep riding if I get a flat or fixable mechanical a mile from the house. 2 tubes, CO2 inflator with 2 CO2ís, mini pump, Topeak Alien tool, tire boot. So a medium sized under seat bag that also has a rear red blinking attached. I always carry my phone, ATM card and emergency in a zip lock baggie in my jersey pocket.
    FWIW, I carry all that, along with a photocopy of my driver's license, health insurance card, and cash, so I can leave my wallet at home. However I'm using a large "Sticky Pod".

I just started using CO2, in order to leave the mini pump at home, but after a double flat on a group ride, it turned out both my canisters were dud's, as well as the one a group member had. I added a mini pump back into the mix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    This is what I use and carry in my bag. I also carry my drivers license, health insurance card, $20 and cell phone in my bike jersey. Additionally, I wear my road ID band with emergency contact information and my health related condition.

Which saddle bag and what to put in it?-5dm36647.jpg
    Which saddle bag and what to put in it?-5dm36654.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It's pretty entertaining to watch you guys take a tire off with 1 lever..... some can do it elegantly, others it's a hoot! I carry three, no pump.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I gave an handlebar bag a try and have been quite happy with it. It gets in the way of riding on the tops, but I never spent much time there anyhow. There's plenty of room in the bag, doesn't affect the handling and is pretty unobtrusive, well except for riding on the tops. Mine is a canvas Acorn, but there are other brands and materials out there.

Which saddle bag and what to put in it?-img_1579.jpg

Which saddle bag and what to put in it?-img_1578.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    2 Tubes
    2 CO2s and a chuck
    2 Levers
    1 Tire boot
    1 Multi-tool - with chain tool
    1 Quick link

All of ^that^ goes in a zipped pouch opens like a book) and fits in a jersey pocket.

Even if you're not capable (yet!) of repairing a chain or other roadside mechanicals, someone in your group will be - pack the multi-tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tube (in Saran wrap)
    Patch kit
    Tire boot
    CO2 w/ inflater
    Tire levers
    Multi tool
    House key

That all goes in a Specialized mini wedge (discontinued unfortunately, Lizard Skins makes an almost exact copy). Mini pump (Lezyne) goes on the cage bosses, phone with pics of ID and insurance info in my jersey pocket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    It's pretty entertaining to watcYOh you guys take a tire off with 1 lever..... some can do it elegantly, others it's a hoot! I carry three, no pump.
    All I ever needed is one tire lever with the Continentals. Now, back in the old days, I needed 2 with those tires with the wire beads, but could get it off with 1 if needed. I guess it depends on the type of tire you roll'n with.

What do you use to pump a flat tire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdu4fkrQ9M
    Last edited by Methodical; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:33 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    ... Mini pump (Lezyne) goes on the cage bosses, phone with pics of ID and insurance info in my jersey pocket.
    Is this a pump designed to mount to the cage?

What happens if your phone battery goes dead?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

Someone has to tell him who he is?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    He's out riding by himself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What do you use to pump a flat tire?
    2.5 hour ride, 2 cartridges, 1 tube, sticky patches
    over 3 hrs, 3 cartridges, 2 tubes
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes, it comes with a mounting plate.

I would have to be on a helluva long ride or using my phone a lot for that to happen. If I were to be out that long, I would just toss a small battery charger in my seat bag I suppose/

Lmao, as we get older that may just happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    It's pretty entertaining to watch you guys take a tire off with 1 lever..... some can do it elegantly, others it's a hoot! I carry three, no pump.
    Topeak Alien has 2 tire levers, though on my tires I only need one.

a real member's member
    I use the carradice zipped roll, which, after i had dinner at a friend's house, it was just barely big enough for my patch kit, phone, wallet, and the two things she gave me before i left: a tupperware of leftovers and a paperback novel she wanted me to read.

i'm not quite halfway through 'american gods.' not really my cup of tea, but the vegan dinner was ******* delish!

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I carry a plastic bag with my phone, ID, credit cards and money in my jersey pocket along with a CO2 dispenser. I've got 4 bikes, so I have a bag for each bike that includes:

1. Three CO2 cartridges
    2. Two tubes wrapped in plastic zip lock bags
    3. A spoke wrench
    4. A small multi tool or some hex wrenches wrapped in a zip lock bag
    5. Tire levers -- I'm really liking those Park extra wide levers
    6. A tire boot
    7. A package of Wet Ones hand wipes.

I used to carry a chain tool, but I don't anymore.

Hey Velodog -- got any more pics of that Della Santa?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Hey Velodog -- got any more pics of that Della Santa?
    No really good ones, but here's a couple.

Which saddle bag and what to put in it?-img_0425.jpgWhich saddle bag and what to put in it?-img_1580.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No really good ones, but here's a couple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	324660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	324661
    Della Santa is one of those bikes that I've lusted over. Pegoratti as well. How was the process of buying it? Did it take forever? And do you have a wool Della Santa jersey like Lemond wore?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Della Santa is one of those bikes that I've lusted over. Pegoratti as well. How was the process of buying it? Did it take forever? And do you have a wool Della Santa jersey like Lemond wore?
    No jersey, but I would like one. I don't remember exactly but about 4 months and that was over Thanksgiving\Christmas\New Years.

He was great to work with. His web site is not run by him but communication with e-mails put me in telephone touch with Roland to discuss the build. He builds on classic Italian geometry and while not completely custom wants your seat tube length and angle plus your top tube length. Mine fits 25mm tires, probably 26mm but that looks to be it.

Tire size, fork crown and seat stay attachment are topics worth discussing with him as there can be options, possibly a threadless steerer but I don't remember because that held no interest for me. Also the painted to match Silca pump is worth getting. If you call, make sure you have time to talk, as he does not shy away from conversation.

The price is damned reasonable and it's a whole lot of bike for the money. About all I woulda done different is asked for clearance for 32mm tires and a taller seat tube, maybe 2 centimeters.

If you've lusted after one I really recommend you get one, you won't be sorry. I know that I should have bought mine sooner than I did.

You've lost your chance to get a Pegoratti, don't pass up a chance for a Della Rosa.

OP, I'm sorry for the thread drift.
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The problem is that i already have 4, going on five bikes and three of them are steel. What tube set did he use? Deda zero uno?

Pegoretti's son is still making frames under that name. Who knows how much of Dario was in those frames recently. I assume he painted them, but maybe not.

If I did get another steel bike, I think I'd go for one made with a stainless steel tube set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is that i already have 4, going on five bikes and three of them are steel. What tube set did he use? Deda zero uno?

Pegoretti's son is still making frames under that name. Who knows how much of Dario was in those frames recently. I assume he painted them, but maybe not.

If I did get another steel bike, I think I'd go for one made with a stainless steel tube set.
    Yep.

I don't know if Roland has built anything in stainless.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Nice bike. Photo is about 1973 right?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    I use the carradice zipped roll, which, after i had dinner at a friend's house, it was just barely big enough for my patch kit, phone, wallet, and the two things she gave me before i left: a tupperware of leftovers and a paperback novel she wanted me to read.

i'm not quite halfway through 'american gods.' not really my cup of tea, but the vegan dinner was ******* delish!

So, for the tupperware of leftovers did you also include some silverware and a picnic set for an al fresco lunch on the road?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast