Saddle Sag - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saddle Sag

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. Lost track of the thread.

I don't understand that no one here knows what I'm talking about.

Take your saddle, a brand new saddle. Something like the Fizike Arione. Look at it from the side and note that you can run a level from the back to the nose, it is that flat. Over time, however, if you look at the same saddle from the side you will see that it is no longer straight, but has a slight dip in the middle where you're always sitting.

Plastic wears out and deforms. So does the padding. That's what I'm talking about. I don't know what the hell you guys are using for saddle that don't deform slightly with regular use, but I want one.

I mean, hell, even go over to your bike now and press down on the saddle where your sitbones would be. Note how you can push on the padding and also depress the plastic frame. Now, imagine your full bodyweight. The saddle is going to sag under your weight. Over time it will lose it's shape. That's what I'm talking about here. And I'm no heavy-weight -- I'm only 140 lbs.

To prove this fact that the saddle dips during riding, I used a app called Saddle Adjust. You place the phone on your saddle and it will give you the angle of your saddle tilt. Before my ride it was a 0.4, and after my ride it was at 0.7 ... meaning the plastic frame deforms with use, in the middle where your sitting, and as a result, the nose rises a bit, which becomes uncomfortable over the course of the ride.

I really don't know how to explain it.
    Everyone knew what you said and just didn't believe it or at least were very skeptical. Of course knowing what you are actually talking about is different matter.

You said 1/2 an inch "sag" based on laying a level on it in the OP. Presumably you were not sitting on a level when riding. Now you are saying .03 'tilt' based on some phone app when riding.

so yeah at this point you'd be correct that no one really knows what you are talking about.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's what everyone thought you were talking about. And no one can comprehend how a 1/2" is possible.

PICTURES!

Never seen what you're talking about in years of use.... yet you're seeing it every couple months.
    Makes zero sense. My saddle, and every saddle I've ever owned is the exact shape as when new.

Nope. It doesn't do that. The padding depresses maybe 1/8-3/16". No friggin way can I deform the frame.

PICTURES!
    Well, clearly a half inch of sag is a slight exaggeration. But it is noticeable. And it does, in many cases, warrant an adjustment to get your fit back in the comfort zone.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, clearly a half inch of sag is a slight exaggeration.
    Clearly... it wasn't clear... to anyone.
    And it's still not clear.

But it is noticeable. And it does, in many cases, warrant an adjustment to get your fit back in the comfort zone.
    Just in your case. No one else has experienced such a thing.

PICTURES!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Never Give Up!
    Pictures... there are no fricken picture because this did never happen to OP'er

Sounds to me someone board with nothing to do but send out troll post!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Entropy.

I can't speak to carbon since I have never wanted to torture my butt that much, but any plastic material does flex, and if you push down hard in the middle of a saddle it will flex (down, but also the sides will flex outward a bit). Anything that flexes will eventually stop returning to the original position and/or get weaker over time.

If the OP is sitting in a way that flexes is, the saddle is being flexed every ride. And held in the flexed position for a very long time. That a plastic shell would take a set from that does not surprise me. in general.

Never seen it, others have not either, so I the only thing I could come up with is sitting in the middle of the saddle and not at the back. That does not mean I am right, but I can't think of another thing that would do it (other than a cracked saddle shell, or some other damage, which does not seem to be the case.)
    This exactly! That's what I'm trying to say. While the half inch deformation was a bit of an exaggeration on part, there is a noticeable dip. As a result, you can't scooch forward on the saddle as easily as you could before because the nose, coming out of that concavity, is going to be higher, resulting in pressure on ... well, you know.

Add to the plastic flex, the Prologo NDR has a channeled groove for pressure relief, so the saddle is actually weaker overall than your more traditional saddle because of less frame supporting your weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Well, clearly a half inch of sag is a slight exaggeration.
    There's that word again. In bike fit context, half an inch is HUGE! Unless you can show a picture of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He would rather just whine, on and on.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    If this sagging saddle is on a bicycle doing permanent trainer duty, replace it with a leather saddle. That way when it starts to sag you can use the tension nut to remove the slightly exaggerated 1/2" of sag.
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Mar 2019
    If the Baloney Sandwitch didn't work out ... then try some Bumble Bee Tuna... with a good blast of mayonnaise on a hard roll.

OP/ Regardless of our silliness hang in there ... were gonna get to the bottom this.

Vintage bike and rider
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If this sagging saddle is on a bicycle doing permanent trainer duty, replace it with a leather saddle. That way when it starts to sag you can use the tension nut to remove the slightly exaggerated 1/2" of sag.
    More, I would replace it with a Selle AnAtomica H model, the stiffest version. Second, if you stretch out a Brooks and try to compensate withe the tension screw, what you'll get is the central ridge rising, which is the bad old ass hatchet. A Selle AnAtomica is designed first of all, not to have a central ridge at all. The straps next to the cutout will rise up with tension, though it is not recommended to us tension to adjust the line of the saddle so it looks always like a Concor. It is designed for some sag, but for that sag to be limited by tension adjustments. If it goes too far you can buy a replacement leather top.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Solution for OP:

If middle gives you a problem, eliminate the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    This exactly! That's what I'm trying to say. While the half inch deformation was a bit of an exaggeration on part, there is a noticeable dip. As a result, you can't scooch forward on the saddle as easily as you could before because the nose, coming out of that concavity, is going to be higher, resulting in pressure on ... well, you know.

Add to the plastic flex, the Prologo NDR has a channeled groove for pressure relief, so the saddle is actually weaker overall than your more traditional saddle because of less frame supporting your weight.
    We know it is exactly what you are trying to say, but we are saying it simply didn't happen as you describe. A plastic saddle does NOT slowly take a set. It flexes and returns to its original shape over hundreds of thousands of cycles (every pedal stroke). I checked my two Fizik Arione saddles and they both have the exact same dip in the middle (eyeball at 1/8 inch) when you lay a straight edge on them. The older one flexed over 10 million times before its saddle rail broke. No permanent deformation of any kind. Once a plastic saddle is deformed, it is beginning to fail. This does not happen in two months unless the saddle is defective, the seat post clamp is damaging the saddle, or some other mechanical damage was done.

Go to a bike shop. Lay a straight edge on an brand new saddle of the same brand and model you have. You will see that they are the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12