RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Sales Guy made a Big Mistake Now What?

Hi everyone... I went to a local bike shop this weekend. I found a roubaix expert. I took it for a spin and loved it.

I asked the sales fellow what year it was and was told it was a 2018 and asked if he could get the price down. He spoke to the owner came back with just $2,400. I'm falling off the chair thinking wait... $2,4000 when it's almost a $4,000 bike. Well I knew it was a demo bike and looks brand new and not a scratch on it. I didn't have my Amex card on me so I gave them a few hundred bucks to hold it. I'm suppose to go back tomorrow to make the final purchase.

Well... I found out that it's a 2017 and not a 2018. Sales fellow made a mistake and apologized.

My biggest question is this... is it still a good buy and or is there anything I should be worried about with it being a 2017? Price is great or at least I think it is. but with it being a demo bike I don't know if it's had a ton of miles on it since it's a 2017. Even though it looks brand new.

Any input or help would be most appreciated. More or less what would you do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    you'll be the envy of every poster on this forum, cause you've got those sweet disc brakes, and the FutureShock
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    @ BCSaltchucker

I love the bike but just wanted to make sure that considering it's a 2017 and was a demo bike that it's still a decent price. This will be my very first rode bike purchase. In the 50s trying to get back into shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    still seems like a great deal to me. my wife has the 2017 Roubaix comp and loves it, and she paid a fair amount more than you did for a year end close out too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    That's less than the owner paid for the bike, and the only real difference between the 17 and 18 is a move from 6800 ultegra to 8000. Still a good deal on a great bike imo.

I'd call this a small mistake rather than a big one. You rode the bike. You liked the bike. You liked the price. Nothing changes about that based on the year it was manufactured.
    Last edited by masont; 09-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calidreaming View Post
    Hi everyone... I went to a local bike shop this weekend. I found a roubaix expert. I took it for a spin and loved it.

I asked the sales fellow what year it was and was told it was a 2018 and asked if he could get the price down. He spoke to the owner came back with just $2,400. I'm falling off the chair thinking wait... $2,4000 when it's almost a $4,000 bike. Well I knew it was a demo bike and looks brand new and not a scratch on it. I didn't have my Amex card on me so I gave them a few hundred bucks to hold it. I'm suppose to go back tomorrow to make the final purchase.

Well... I found out that it's a 2017 and not a 2018. Sales fellow made a mistake and apologized.

My biggest question is this... is it still a good buy and or is there anything I should be worried about with it being a 2017? Price is great or at least I think it is. but with it being a demo bike I don't know if it's had a ton of miles on it since it's a 2017. Even though it looks brand new.

Any input or help would be most appreciated. More or less what would you do?
    Quality bike. Price is right. You like it? Grab it!

You can tell how many miles it has on it by seeing how much wear is on the tires, especially the rear. If its still round on the bottom, the bike is fine. Over a one year period, it couldn't rack up more than 50 miles, including if someone bought it and returned it later. If there's anything wrong with it, the shop will fix it.

Nothing wrong with one year old "used" bikes that have only been test ridden. This from a guy who never bought a new car, never had to make payments, and drove them all for 10 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Let's put it this way. I run a bike shop. If I could buy 2017 Roubaix Experts to sell at 2400 making my normal margin, I'd buy a lot of them, because I'd sell a lot of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Good pointing taken and it's appreciated. I'm new at this and just wanted reassurance. I'm excited to say the least. I'll post pictures over the next 24 hours once I get it home.

I Just want to get back into shape and ride something that is comfortable. The Roubaix Expert was exactly that!
    Last edited by calidreaming; 09-09-2018 at 10:53 PM.

The Slow One.
    Let's put it this way- it was a demo bike. The shop owner paid a certain amount for it, rented it out a bit, and then now is pretty much looking to break even or make a small profit (over his cost). He doesn't want to carry it as inventory longer than he has to, and this is not prime road bike selling season.

Look it over. If you don't see any signs of scrapes or scuffs, you're probably good to go. Talk to the shop and see if they'll support you if you find an issue post-sale. When you're buying from a shop, you establishing a relationship with that shop. It's best to know up front if it's going to be a positive one or an abusive one.

None of my bikes are newer than 2015, with the majority dating back to '08-'11. In fact, my two favorites are among the oldest. The reason I bring this up is that other than incremental drivetrain advances, a lot of the differences you see year to year are mostly marketing and paint. If the bike speaks to you, I say buy the bike.

...or consult a psychiatrist.

I've said it again and again- if the bike inspires you to ride and fits you, that's the bike for you.

Neophyte
    Ultegra 6800 is excellent. Enjoy, definitely post pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have no doubts, you are getting a quality bike at a price that should make you very happy. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with others here. You like the bike. So what if it's a 2017 instead of a 2018. Demo bikes don't have a lot of miles. If you're concerned about miles, do what Fredrico said and check the rear tire for the tread being squared off.

Is it too good to be true? In this case, I would say no. Bike shops usually pay about 60% of retail. So if this was a $4,000 bike and you're getting it for $2,400, they're breaking even. And when you factor in their overhead, they're actually losing money. They eventually make it up in volume. Shops sometimes overestimate what they can sell and get stuck with leftovers. It's a choice of taking a lower price or not selling it at all. It's the cost of doing business.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Bought the bike. Suppose to arrive home tomorrow. I have a car and it's to small. So their going to deliver it. I'll post pictures soon! Now for all the accessories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    make sure you support that shop. sounds like they give good service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    I certainly will...