Saturday in the city with Miss M. Ride Report.
    MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Saturday in the city with Miss M. Ride Report.

This year our riding has changed a bit. Since August I work in the bike shop on Saturday afternoons so we no longer do 2 centuries on the weekends. We get in a nice 30-50 mile ride in the city on Saturday and then something long on Sunday (say 120-160 miles or so). This is actually working out pretty well for us; we get bike parts at cost and Miss M has a chance to work around the house or catch up at work.

Here is a fairly typical Saturday for us.

We head out pretty early on the empty Capital Crescent trail heading down to the mall. We pass along Washington Harbor and in front of the Kennedy Center. It is early enough so the only people out beside us are a few rowing clubs (a really big local sport). I love the memorials so we will usually check a few out.

Today we ride in front of the Lincoln Memorial and get a great view of the Washington Monument in the reflecting pool. Then it is up along the pool to the World War II memorial and over to the Tidal Basin and a great view of the Jefferson Memorial from right in front of the Roosevelt Memorial.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Washington the seaport.

Most folks don't realize that Washington was once a fairly large seaport. It is located just below the first set of falls on the Potomac River and is bisected by the Anacostia River. The rivers meet at Haines Point where the rivers start to get really wide and flat. There is a fish market along the river where all the fish is trucked in (the smell is authentic though). At the end of the piers there is a memorial to the Titanic.

We cross over the Anacostia to ride in one of the riverfront parks in SE Washington; a bad part of the city but a nice ride with great views of the Navy Yard. There still aren't many folks out but the rowing clubs and us.

After a few miles of fooling around we re-cross the river for some more city adventures.
    Last edited by MB1; 11-01-2004 at 07:55 PM.
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Birds, clowns and cars.

Turns out the circus is in town. They are set up in the JFK Stadium parking lot. Miss M wakes up the birds who greet me with a hail of bird stuff. Oops.

We check out one of the local farmers markets where we finally start to see people up and about. We like to ride on fairly quiet neighborhood streets but Miss M just doesn't like to be slowed down by those pesky red lights. Traffic is picking up.

As I ride along I can't help but think to myself, "Thank goodness I am not riding on any of those crummy IRC tires that Jenson USA sells!"
    Last edited by MB1; 11-01-2004 at 08:20 PM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Lunch for the bunch.

We know a little place in the wholesale district that makes great subs and where the guys like to talk about riding with Miss M. I often pick up something to eat for the guys at the shop. Then it is back downtown and past the White House where high security seems to becoming a way of life.

Then we ride under the Whitehurst freeway to the Capital Crescent trail that is getting crowded now. We take a tunnel under the C&O Canal and up behind Georgetown University to home.

Time to go to work.
    Last edited by MB1; 11-01-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Windrider (Stubborn)

As always, great report......

What time did you get into work?

I was riding with a group from Kensington and one guy cut his tire as we were going into Georgetown.......we stopped in your shop around 12:30 to get a tire boot. I figured there was no way you would be working on a Sat afternoon so I didn't even go into the shop. I'll know next time.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Noon

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    What time did you get into work?

I was riding with a group from Kensington and one guy cut his tire as we were going into Georgetown.......we stopped in your shop around 12:30 to get a tire boot. I figured there was no way you would be working on a Sat afternoon so I didn't even go into the shop. I'll know next time.

Len

Would have been good to see you. Let's ride soon.

Non non normal
    Once again a very nice report.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Would have been good to see you. Let's ride soon.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

A Canadian in Sweden

nice

wow, i never knew the american capital was so beautiful. nice riding. and great report.

Done with winter.
    Thanks for another great report. As a west coaster I also didn't realize there were beautiful sights like that in DC.

Also, when did you guys switch to gearies?!?! I noticed your new Waterford is also a geared frame. Say it ain't so!

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

It is just another bike.

Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    Also, when did you guys switch to gearies?!?! I noticed your new Waterford is also a geared frame. Say it ain't so!
    We love our fixtes but we love our geared bikes almost as much.

Notice how everything looks wet and there are lots of puddles in this ride report? It was raining on and off and I keep fenders on a pair of our bikes. Riding in the wet is very practical with fenders and the right clothing.

No reason to let your choice of bike limit your riding.

Done
    Mar 2002

Thumbs up The Evergreen Wisdom Of MB1

It's raining here in DC this morning (Thursday, Nov. 4), the temps are in the 40's, and it is business as usual for a lot of bike commuters. This is the type of weather where a bike set up with full length fenders makes a lot of sense. The commuters astride bikes sporting fenders looked relatively comfortable, while those poor fenderless folk looked a little cold and dirty, like they could use a shower and bowl of hot soup.

Bad weather only amplifies the bad traffic that we have here in the DC area, giving you an even bigger incentive to arrive at work by bicycle. It's funny; once you start commuting regularly to work by bike, it takes a lot to lure you back into a car or even into the subway. I didn't even consider driving today. Yes, there is a line out there somewhere that divides "dedicated" from "stupid" when it comes to riding in bad weather, but a thoughtful (which does not necessarily mean expensive) approach to equipment and clothing will allow you to get out and ride more days of the year than you would think.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Thanks for the report MB. Such cool places to ride, monuments, tunnels... Excellent recap as always.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    DC area guys...

Moving into the area in a few months. I grew up in Alexandria, but moved to Texas after college. Any suggestions on good places to live in and around the District? I'll be working in Downtown and I'm interested in Old Town Alexandria, Arlington and possibly DC. Any/all advice would be most welcome, as prices and traffic have gone out of control since 10 years ago.

Thanks.
    mike

Done
    Mar 2002

Exclamation It Depends On Your Price Range...

Frankly, the real estate market has gone absolutely nuts over the last two years. I live south of Alexandria (Hollin Hall, down the GW Parkway, near Mt. Vernon), and the prices for the homes in my neighborhood have shot up from the mid $200s and are now cruising solidly in the mid $400s. This is for a 2-3 bedroom rambler on a 1/4 to 1/3 acres, 12 miles from downtown.

Old Town Alexandria is pretty pricy. There are some townhomes on the Wilson Bridge side of things that may be more reasonable -- because they are tearing down the old bridge to put up a new one.

Look us up when you get into town...or if you come down to do some pre-move scouting.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Great ride report. I always admire the cycling environment (road condition, clean air, traffic) of your places. Just finished a 40km early in the morning in which I have to fight with the traffic and the exhaust emitted, plus there are very limited cycling routes that I could pick from.