Scratched my new bike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Scratched my new bike

Had my 2013 Allez elite for 3 weeks, I put my bike against a pole in my garage thinking that it would not fall down. I was doing something and kinda of nudged the front wheel, and I saw the bike fall and slide down the pole in slow motion.
    Now I have 3 small scratch/gashes on my top tube.
    Now I tend to stare at them when I get on the bike. I guess it is hard to have a scratch free bike when it is used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I understand that the first dings you put on a bike are hard but if you ride it as often as you should stuff is going to happen. I have a a couple a good nicks on the down tube from rock whacking the paint. i see dings on a bike as i do the scars on myself most are badges of honor, some are 'well that was dumb, don't do that again' and few 'well that wasn't my fault at all, oh well'.

also don't look down but look at the road ahead.
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Touchup paint. Get a matching color from a hobby shop (testors enamel) if nothing else. Maybe your LBS can get the matching color. No big deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good. Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just ride it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find it amazing how most cyclists don't know how to park their bikes. Everybody thinks you should lean it so the bars and seat touch something and that should hold it steady.
    Now you have a wear mark on the seat and bars and the bike can still roll away.
    A bicycle shop owner taught me something over 30 years ago and I practice it to this day.
    Always lean the rear wheel against something and your bike will not move an inch if you do it right. The only thing touching the wall will be the rear wheel. Try it sometime. It will be solid like a rock.
    This rant is over.

G3
    An alternative to touch up paint is nail polish especially if you have women in the house with a large cache in assorted colors. I have always been able to find a close color or mix two for a close match. Follow up with a clear coat. Another tip is to use a tooth pick to apply to scratches. You can then easily wipe away any color applied outside the scratch without effected what was applied in the scratch. After adding the final clear coat you barely can tell the scratch exists.

If you happen to use the Kardashian line of nail polish for touch up, I hear your bike gains some vertical compliance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Why don't you try to rub out the mark with some elbow grease. Maybe it's just the clear coat.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Always lean the rear wheel against something and your bike will not move an inch if you do it right. The only thing touching the wall will be the rear wheel. Try it sometime. It will be solid like a rock.
    This rant is over.

I do that....works great. Only needs 1" of the rubber tire touching the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooben View Post
    Why don't you try to rub out the mark with some elbow grease. Maybe it's just the clear coat.
    If you know what you're doing, it can work well. If you do it wrong, you trade a thin scratch for a wide blotch eyesore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    All paint for cars, bikes, etc., has a PDG code. That's the industry standard. Ask the manufactuere what the paint code is. Or take your bike to a body shop and ask to see their sample book to match the color. The last resort is find the color code online but the colors that show on your monitor are slightly off from the actual. You can order the paint online and it's very cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a tool, not a jewel. The only bike that will remain perfectly pristine is the one that's not ridden.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    It's a tool, not a jewel. The only bike that will remain perfectly pristine is the one that's not ridden.
    True, just gonna leave the scratches there, gonna get knicks from road rocks anyways later on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    The first scratch is always the hardest. But it's going to happen eventually, so I guess "eventually" finally arrived for you.

Cheers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find it amazing how most cyclists don't know how to park their bikes. Everybody thinks you should lean it so the bars and seat touch something and that should hold it steady.
    A bicycle shop owner taught me something over 30 years ago and I practice it to this day.
    This rant is over.
    I do that too but it's been problematic at times. Seems that one of my front cable has too much tension (too short) and it always pulls the bar to the right. As a result I've had some close calls with nearly dropping the bike. And when I first started riding I dropped my bike 3-4 times in different scenarios, just part of the learning process. Now I'm more aware of how I prop up the bike with what works and doesn't, and it's got some war scars so I care less about it's overall looks and more about it's running condition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    i find it amazing how most cyclists don't know how to park their bikes. Everybody thinks you should lean it so the bars and seat touch something and that should hold it steady.
    A bicycle shop owner taught me something over 30 years ago and i practice it to this day.
    This rant is over.
    your a genius! Thanks for the this!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use this - no scratches on my bike (yet) :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    I use this - no scratches on my bike (yet) :-)
    You need to ride more!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Good. Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just ride it.
    this x999
    I ALWAYS rep back!!!

Fierce Pancake
    My wife picked up some weird white paste that can be applied and rubbed into superficial marks and hey presto, they're gone, or at least dramatically minimised.

I've used the occasional sticker to cover scratches that went through the clear coat.

Scratches are annoying at the time but you soon get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    My wife picked up some weird white paste that can be applied and rubbed into superficial marks and hey presto, they're gone, or at least dramatically minimised.

I've used the occasional sticker to cover scratches that went through the clear coat.

Scratches are annoying at the time but you soon get over it.
    true, dont care about scratches now, just as long as its not a dent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    This rant is over.
    Thanks!

That's not in the manual ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tick_Tock_Glock View Post
    Had my 2013 Allez elite for 3 weeks, I put my bike against a pole in my garage thinking that it would not fall down. I was doing something and kinda of nudged the front wheel, and I saw the bike fall and slide down the pole in slow motion.
    Now I have 3 small scratch/gashes on my top tube.
    Now I tend to stare at them when I get on the bike. I guess it is hard to have a scratch free bike when it is used.
    That sucks. There is only one option now: You have to sell your bike for scrap metal and go buy a new one. Sorry...

Yea that's right.
    The bike can still fall even when leaned by the back tire.

This idea is something I've used since I was a kid. Your bike can not fall with this on there without being literally tipped over. This is just a piece of velcro, always works. The only downside is you have to actually use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joda View Post
    That sucks. There is only one option now: You have to sell your bike for scrap metal and go buy a new one. Sorry...
    :

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekless1 View Post
    The bike can still fall even when leaned by the back tire.

This idea is something I've used since I was a kid. Your bike can not fall with this on there without being literally tipped over. This is just a piece of velcro, always works. The only downside is you have to actually use it.
    Yeah, that works. Someone (Rhode Gear?) used to make a nifty thing called the "FlickStand." Little bracket that mounted under the downtube, with a wire loop that could be flipped down to hold the front tire. Quckly and easily did what your strap does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's too bad TickTock. But it is kind of an initiation thing.
    Here's my stupid story:
    I wanted to get some pics of my bike with new bar tape and all black tires. So I leanded the crank arm on a big low rock and held her steady... I let go and backed up to get the shot. Just as I snapped the first pic, a gust of wind came up and tipped the bike onto that rock hiding in the grass. It left a very minor mark on the paint of the top tube. You think I would have stopped there...BUT NOoo, I propped the bike up again, snapped the second shot... another gust of wind... down she goes. This time it left a bigger mark in a more visable area of the top tube. I can't even call those Battle Scars! I felt sick after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast