SeaSucker bike racks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dopers ruin sport

SeaSucker bike racks

SeaSucker makes a vacuum-mounted bike racks. Has, or would anyone use this? It seems like an interesting product but pretty sketchy.

SeaSucker Vacuum-Mount Bike Racks

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie92 View Post
    SeaSucker makes a vacuum-mounted bike racks. Has, or would anyone use this? It seems like an interesting product but pretty sketchy.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...ight=seasucker

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...ight=seasucker

There's at least one more thread out there, but I can't find it now.

//It turns out that I like both my car and my bike, so, no.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/seasucker-587996.html

I posted my experience on MTBR. I don't use the rack often, but I would trust it for frequent use.

Dopers ruin sport
    thanks!

Not a climber
    My GoPro has a suction cup mount that is super strong and it's probably half the size of the ones used in this rack. I'd trust it to hold a 20 lb bike on the car.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    they put it on a stock car... I think it works

best part is that the rack and be an indoor rack as well!
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Old, slow, and fat.
    I've seen a car with em on at a few cross races this fall. Seems to work OK

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    The shop I work at is a seasucker dealer and for some reason the suction on every system we've sold has failed. Luckily none failed while driving for thecustomers but they all changed back to Yakima, Thule, saris etc...

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall21205 View Post
    The shop I work at is a seasucker dealer and for some reason the suction on every system we've sold has failed. Luckily none failed while driving for thecustomers but they all changed back to Yakima, Thule, saris etc...
    Every one?

Operator error? If you put a suction cup on a dirty car, its probably not going to stick. Wonder if that was an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the name has suck in it, it's not for me.

No but seriously, even if it worked 98% of the time, I'd always be wondering when I was going to fall into that 2%, literally.
    -Felt Z80-
    -Trek 7.2fx-

vexatious enigma
    I think that it works well when you put it on right. If I had a car at all (or one that needed it) I would trust it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Every one?

Operator error? If you put a suction cup on a dirty car, its probably not going to stick. Wonder if that was an issue.
    10 out of 10 man...if it was 4 or 5 out of the 10 I would give opp error the point but when it's 10 of 10 I have a hard time believe it's not a faulty product...

they all simply lost the ability to create suction, and like i said before the customers were really glad that it wasn't an event that took place while the car was in motion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I've had my GPS windshield mount fall too many times after hanging there happily for a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The company is located in Palmetto, FL, the owner sometimes joins our group rides. I don't know too many who own them, but the owners of our LBS uses the system for their Griffen Tandem and go all over the state with it attached to a Lincoln Continental. Knowing the owner, I'm pretty sure it has seen speeds of 90mph+.......so far, so good.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Did you ever get one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I get down the 1/8th mile in my drag car at 135mph with a Go Pro suctioned to the outside of my car on the quarter panel.....yeah....I see no problem with these racks holding onto a bike going 65 MPH.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jason07 View Post
    I get down the 1/8th mile in my drag car at 135mph with a Go Pro suctioned to the outside of my car on the quarter panel.....yeah....I see no problem with these racks holding onto a bike going 65 MPH.
    That's different than hitting a few potholes on the interstate, or going over a few speed bumps in a neighborhood.

What the what???
    I believe in science. I trust science. But you could provide the most iron-clad scientific proof and I still wouldn't trust a suction cup to secure my bike to a car.

It reminds me of that old SuperGlue commercial where they glue a hardhat to a crane and a guy hangs from it in the air.. I'm sure it works, but I sure wouldn't do it.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    You cant think of these racks as a "Suction Mount" these are vacuum cups that have a hold strength of 200-210lbs per 6" cup.

I suggest going to an LBS that carries them and putting 1 cup to the test. It will really change your perception of these racks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have seen these things used for marine applications several times before. From what I saw, they never failed to fail.

The thought of my beautiful bicycle flying off the top of my car, hitting the highway at 70, and being run over by the truck following me,makes my a** pucker.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho View Post
    That's different than hitting a few potholes on the interstate, or going over a few speed bumps in a neighborhood.

RoadBikeReview Member

SeaSucker bike racks

I sell them thru my online store and so far, I have several hundred happy owners. I personally use the Mini Bomber 2 bike rack that I trust to hold my Argon 18 road and tri bikes. Check out the customer reviews on my site to get a better feel of what others are saying about them.

I have outfitted everything from a Fiat 500 to SUV's. They pretty much fit on any vehicle.

https://www.trivelosports.com/SeaSucker-s/298.htm
    Check out my online store for all your favorite triathlon and cycling gear
    www.TriVeloSports.com
    Swim.Bike.Run.Repeat!
    855-TRI-VELO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya know you have to constantly monitor the vacuum - as in check it, "top it off", etc. It loses vacuum strength over time - days. I'd hate to loose $10,000 worth of bikes because I forgot to pump up my rack.

And then there's the theft issue. It's not lockable. My Yak/Thule system is locked to the roof and the bikes can be locked to the rack. Oh I know - anyone can steal anything if... But that SeaSucker is just stuck to the glass/roof. Now you'd have worry about your empty rack being stolen.

RoadBikeReview Member

SeaSucker bike racks

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Ya know you have to constantly monitor the vacuum - as in check it, "top it off", etc. It loses vacuum strength over time - days. I'd hate to loose $10,000 worth of bikes because I forgot to pump up my rack.

And then there's the theft issue. It's not lockable. My Yak/Thule system is locked to the roof and the bikes can be locked to the rack. Oh I know - anyone can steal anything if... But that SeaSucker is just stuck to the glass/roof. Now you'd have worry about your empty rack being stolen.
    The racks are great for going to local group ride or trailhead. Yea, make sure you pump them up first. For the most part, they solve rack problems for sports car owners or travelers. Anybody can steal just about anything these days.
    Check out my online store for all your favorite triathlon and cycling gear
    www.TriVeloSports.com
    Swim.Bike.Run.Repeat!
    855-TRI-VELO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

works great

I was skeptical at first but I've had mine for nearly a year now and have had no issues. Works great on the roof of my G35 coupe and rear window of my wife's SUV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast