seatposts

Thread: seatposts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

seatposts

Hi All , I'm in the market for a new seatpost I really like Thomson seaposts but can anyone tell me whats the dealwith a 16mm of setback vs a standard seatpost how does one choose get one with a setback or not what are their pros/cons

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Setback

Quote Originally Posted by frank418
    Hi All , I'm in the market for a new seatpost I really like Thomson seaposts but can anyone tell me whats the dealwith a 16mm of setback vs a standard seatpost how does one choose get one with a setback or not what are their pros/cons
    It's just a matter of fit. You need the amount of setback that puts your saddle in the right position relative to the BB axle. What that position is depends both on your body measurements and your personal preference, but the general range is KOPS +1 to -2 cm. KOPS is Knee Over Pedal Spindle. More forward makes it easier to spin. If you drop a plumb line from the bony protrusion in front of your knee when you have the cranks horizontal (typically this requires an assistant) you will see where your position is - KOPS would mean that the plumb line would pass right through the pedal axle.

BTW, setback saddles are actually the standard, and that is what most people need on a normal frame to get their proper position. Zero setback posts are a relatively recent phenomenon.