Segway on a MUT?!?

Dec 2002

Segway on a MUT?!?

So, I went for a quick 20 miles this evening. Part of my route took me on a multi-use trail (Lunken trail in Cincinnati). I rolled past a sign stating the rules, including "no motorized vehicles."

A while later, I see a guy on a Segway. thing took up the middle half of the trail, and he was just barely able to get over without me braking too terribly much. I wonder what his heart rate was.

And we wonder why there is an obesity problem in this country!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chbarr
    So, I went for a quick 20 miles this evening. Part of my route took me on a multi-use trail (Lunken trail in Cincinnati). I rolled past a sign stating the rules, including "no motorized vehicles."

A while later, I see a guy on a Segway. thing took up the middle half of the trail, and he was just barely able to get over without me braking too terribly much. I wonder what his heart rate was.

Finishing a long ride Saturday I happened across a couple of kids starting out on a bike trail: one on a motorized scooter pulling, and the other on a bike in tow. I was going to hollar at them but racing them seemed more attractive as we gained speed together. I smoked 'em and teased a bit for a while but with their cruising speed of 22 mph it was just a matter of time. Those infernal internal combustion engines are just so darned relentless. I eventually waved them by and suffered due jeers. I certainly didn't do the responsible thing but I did wonders for PR - we were laughing our asses off. It seemed like something I'd do at their age. Anyway, I wondered the same thing: is this the exercise regimen of their generation? But I think not.

P.S. O your user title is the very definition of irony.

RoadBikeReview Member

Legal for two years now in Minnesota

Subdivision 1. [RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF
    PEDESTRIANS.] Except as otherwise provided by law, a person
    operating an electric personal assistive mobility device has the
    rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian.
    Subd. 2. [OPERATION.] (a) An electric personal assistive
    mobility device may be operated on a bicycle path.
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chbarr

I can't help but be judgmental about the Segway- so flame away- but when you consider the cost, and that they are less versatile than TWO LEGS it boggles the mind. What motivates ANYONE to buy one? Seriously- short of being a very expensive novelty- WHY? How often are they used? They are the ultimate in conspicuous consumption.

RoadBikeReview Member

I was in the History Museum

I was in the History Museum a couple of months back. They have a staff person riding one around as a novelty item. I'd never really seen one up close before. I spent about 15 minutes asking questions about them.

I'm with you they don't appear that useful. Things I learned.

At my somewhat above average girth, I could carry no cargo.
    Battery life was only about 2.5 hours. Less in high heat or low cold.
    Grade was very limited. I can't recall the percent, but I remember thinking that she probably couldn't take the thing into downtown from the History Museum.
    I asked her to dismount and I tried to lift the thing. It's a boat anchor. You need the motor for all but the smallest of moves mounted or dismounted.
    It can't stand on it's own. It does have a kickstand.

They've made them legal on sidewalks and paths, but I've yet to encounter one outdoors.
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

Arrogant roadie.....

They aren't legal in NY

...and thank goodness for that!!
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Jun 2003
    I know that in Vancouver you can rent a Segway for the battery life (4 hours or so) and just scoot around for an afternoon. This could have been the case for this particular person, it is impossible to say.

As mentioned by Crankist, the kids he saw were probably just out having fun, just the same as people used to ride go-karts downhills. What is not to say that someone was out renting a Segway for the afternoon, just to see what the hype is about. I'm sure anyone of us could have been a curious person, who takes one out for the afternoon.

I don't think anyone could say they never thought of taking Grandma's scooter for a spin around the block, or even better a quick slalom down the mall. That said, I do exactly as Crankist did with the kids on the Scooter, I race them, it is all in good fun. On occation you will see the odd young kid on the sideway with his bike who wants to race, so you go with it and let him win.

Apr 2004

Build It

As much of a total nerd as this guy looks he is the man Shows how simple the idea of the Segway is. Not to mention how stupid it is. He even built a SINGLE wheeled unit. Of course there is the most simple solution to the trying Segway design... ADD A THIRD WHEEL.

Kyle