RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Sell 95 Klein quantum pro sea and sky or 09 Lynskey R430?

I got into cycling and triathlons in college. Iíve got a 1995 Klein quantum pro in Sea and Sky for my road bike, a 2009 Lynskey R430 as my tri bike, and a 2001 Klein attitude comp in Storm grey. I guess Iíve grown up and simply donít have time to bike as much (maybe once every other week) and havenít done a tri in two years.

Im thinking about either selling my road or tri bike and converting the other for both road and tris. What are yíalls opinions on value of the two bikes? Quantum has older ultegra sl and Lynskey has sram red except front and rear derailleur is force, with tri shifter/brakes. Iíve had both since 2011 and are in great condition (for being ridden plenty. Maybe $1000?

Appreciate any input!

Ben
    Last edited by bhyman2; 1 Week Ago at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typos

RoadBikeReview Member
    That Klein Quantum Pro was lustworthy in it's day but you won't see much of a return because of it's "antiquated" componentry and frame material (CF frames have trickled down to the well off masses). Likewise for the Attitude (doesn't it use a proprietary headset?)

The Lynskey might fare a tad better, but not by much. A buyer would prolly be motivated by collectability (esp. the Kleins), which is rare. Too much new fangled in today's market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the Atti is so cool! what size?

though i'd rather buy an early 90s Atti
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Sell the Lynskey if only as a road bike has more versatility. If you no longer compete to win at Tri's, than a regular road bike will get you thru a 25 mile or shorter distance.

'95 Klein used 130mm rear dropouts so modern wheels still work, thus if you desired to upgrade to more modern shifting and 11 spd. you can still do it. And Kleins are beautiful frames as well as the best riding aluminum bike ever created.

The Attitude is as viable a mt. bike as you would find today, just a different wheel size. 29" is the standard today, but you can still find 26 as well. Big issue as noted is the headset and is it the 1-1/4" and could you replace it if needed. Ditto the bottom brackets on all Kleins. I know earlier road frames used a proprietary press fit bottom bracket and that might be hard to source. Does the Attitude have a suspension fork ? and what condition is in ?, as that too can be a problem if it needed overhaul. You could upgrade the Attitude to a different 1X shifting IF the bottom bracket is a 68mm BSA threaded. Ditto the Quantum as to b-bracket. My '95 Quantum was BSA, it you have that you can update the crank.

Question is do you still need a mt. bike ?. If not, sell everything and buy a carbon endurance bike, maybe something with disc brakes and the ability to run either a road carbon or lightweight wheel set with 25-28mm tires for the racing and fast road rides, than a 2nd wheelset with 35mmm tires for gravel, rail trails, etc...

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    If your Quantum Pro was built before the company was purchased by Trek, then it will have a significantly higher value to collectors. IIRC, the purchase was in July of 1995, so your frame will need to have a date stamp of 0695 or earlier for this to be in effect. If you are willing to take the time and effort to market it internationally, there is a serious collector's market for them in Europe. I have a good friend who was one of the frame painters at the Chehalis plant and his sideline business of repainting old Kleins is being swamped by collectors from Norway and Switzerland.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    "The Attitude is as viable a mt. bike as you would find today, just a different wheel size. 29" is the standard today, but you can still find 26 as well. Big issue as noted is the headset and is it the 1-1/4" and could you replace it if needed. Ditto the bottom brackets on all Kleins. I know earlier road frames used a proprietary press fit bottom bracket and that might be hard to source. Does the Attitude have a suspension fork ? and what condition is in ?, as that too can be a problem if it needed overhaul."

The 2001 Attitude Comp used a standard 1 1/8" aheadset as well as a standard threaded bottom bracket. his '95 Quantum Pro will have the press fit Klein proprietary bottom bracket with a 108mm spindle if it shipped with either Ultegra or Dura Ace. To change to a more modern crankset will require using a bottom bracket adapter, which I believe that Phil Wood still makes. The Q Pro will also have the proprietary press fit Klein headset - both BB and HS used industry standard sealed bearings, so they can be replaced by a good, careful mechanic with the right tools. They may also not need replacing. I have seen Kleins from the early 1990s which are ridden regularly in the PNW whose original bottom brackets are still buttery smooth. I've also seen ones whose bb bearings are rusted out with a lot less mileage. It depends upon how well they were taken care of, of course.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Klein size ?

Sell them all and buy a new bike and enjoy the extra space.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't think one was ever supposed to part with a Klein. I have a '97 Klein Stage (and a bunch of the typical, new, carboned-up bikes). I still love that Klein - and ride it a LOT... like, this morning... and twice last week... Don't sell the Klein. ;-)