Selle SMP 'yellow'

Printable View

• 04-30-2019
    suicidal_orange
    Selle SMP 'yellow'
    Appologies if this is in the wrong place but it doesn't seem to fit any of the other sections as it's a bit superficial for 'wrenching'.

I'm thinking of buying a selle SMP and as my bike is black, grey and yellow a yellow one is appealing. There are no shops stocking them so I've searched for images of 'SMP yellow' and found they look many different shades (ignoring the fluro options) - can anyone offer a real life colour comparison? I'm hoping they're more banana or mustard rather than lemon.
  • 04-30-2019
    BCSaltchucker
    black is the right colour for a saddle on any bike
  • 04-30-2019
    askmass
    Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
    ...can anyone offer a real life colour comparison? I'm hoping they're more banana or mustard rather than lemon.

A guy who used to ride with us years ago had one in yellow and it was definitely what I'd call "mustard".

Now, as to if that was close to it's original shade or more the result of butt sweat patina I'm not so sure.
  • 04-30-2019
    suicidal_orange
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

True you can't go wrong with black for looks, but the only black option in the pro models is leather and I know it will get wet so I'd rather it weren't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmass View Post
    A guy who used to ride with us years ago had one in yellow and it was definitely what I'd call "mustard".

Now, as to if that was close to it's original shade or more the result of butt sweat patina I'm not so sure.

Now there's a pleasant thought :p Thanks though, I hadn't considered getting a lemon one dirty to darken it. Most of my riding is in black work trousers so they might do the trick...
  • 04-30-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

meh, my bike is boring AF with a black saddle.
  • 05-02-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

I agree that black or another dark color is what I would want. Otherwise, it will soon look dirty.

I agree with the saying which goes "The handlebars should match the saddle, the saddle should match the tires and the tires should be black".
  • 05-02-2019
    PBL450
    I own a yellow, white and black saddles. All of my bikes have black saddles on them. FWIW I hated my Selle SMP, but saddles are so individual...
  • 05-11-2019
    suicidal_orange
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I agree with the saying which goes "The handlebars should match the saddle, the saddle should match the tires and the tires should be black".

The bike has skinwalls so they're kinda yellow, I could get some matching bar tape...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    meh, my bike is boring AF with a black saddle.

Sounds like we both should have picked more colourful frames then black wouldn't look so boring!
  • 05-12-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
    The bike has skinwalls so they're kinda yellow, I could get some matching bar tape...

Good point. Brown skinwalls or "gumwalls" look OK with either a brown or black saddle and bar tape.
  • 05-12-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Good point. Brown skinwalls or "gumwalls" look OK with either a brown or black saddle and bar tape.

Yeah, on a vintage I can see it... I get your perspective, Id still stay black.
  • 06-05-2019
    wannaXbe
    1 Attachment(s)
    smp saddle on my S-works festina
    here is my SMP in yellow
  • 06-05-2019
    suicidal_orange
    Thanks for that, contrary to all the posters above I think it looks great.

I've actually borrowed some test saddles from Dillgrove and have been assured the yellow half is the same as the yellow models, the shade varies between the 'pro' and 'tourism' ranges though all are more banana than lemon. So far I like the Well best and while that's good for my wallet it's only available in black or white :cryin: