Serotta Legend Ti circa 2001 - Max rim width
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Serotta Legend Ti circa 2001 - Max rim width

I am looking to upgrade my wheels from Kysrium SC SSL to Hunt Race Aero and not sure they will fit.

Does anyone know the max rim width a Serotta Legend Ti can accomodate with 25mm tires?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Really depends on the tires. I built a bunch of those and Ottrotts a couple years after that, they always had Mavic SL and 23mm tires. I can't remember how much room they had but I don't think it was a ton. You can always measure between the stays and at least you'll know how much width you can accommodate. Height/brake/frame & fork clearance radially is another story. It seems like Conti and Michelin are always wider than the stated width especially on wide rims. Rene Herse is spot on or a tiny bit smaller w/ their bigger tires. I'd guess 23-25mm rims, some 25mm tires might be too wide. Hopefully someone w/ practical experience will reply.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    CX,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure my post was completely clear. I currently run Vredestein Comp Race 700X25. I will measure, but just wanted to know if anyone has run wider internal width rims then the Kysrium SL's. To your point, the tier width may change based on the wider rim and I am not sure how to verify what will fit, outside of testing different combinations. As you stated - as is not a bunch of room. Just itching for some new rims - no other real reason then because.

Pack Fodder.
    A lot of Serotta owners over on the Paceline forum (originally was a Serotta forum), so you might get a solid answer there.

A lot of the ti bikes I have from that era are on the narrow side, so I go with stiffer wheels to avoid flexing them into the fork/frame. The brake bridge clearance varies slightly on them as well, making one brakeset work where another won't.

A stop by a friendly bike shop who will let you test fit wheels might be a good option, or a friend with a set.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post

A lot of the ti bikes I have from that era are on the narrow side, so I go with stiffer wheels to avoid flexing them into the fork/frame. The brake bridge clearance varies slightly on them as well, making one brakeset work where another won't.
    You need to be careful what your definition of a "stiffer wheel" is. A stiffer rim will paradoxically flex more between the stays as a result of not moving along with the bike frame on hard climbs.

The best way to lessen this flexing is with a higher spoke count on the rear. I have built all my wheel sets with a 32 spoke minimum on the rear. Yes, I know it's counter intuitive among weight weenies, but really 4 or even 8 extra spokes will not increase the wheel weight very much.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Really depends on the tires. I built a bunch of those and Ottrotts a couple years after that, they always had Mavic SL and 23mm tires. I can't remember how much room they had but I don't think it was a ton. You can always measure between the stays and at least you'll know how much width you can accommodate. Height/brake/frame & fork clearance radially is another story. It seems like Conti and Michelin are always wider than the stated width especially on wide rims. Rene Herse is spot on or a tiny bit smaller w/ their bigger tires. I'd guess 23-25mm rims, some 25mm tires might be too wide. Hopefully someone w/ practical experience will reply.
    I can vouch that Vittoria Rubinos are true to said width on 17-18mm rims and 1mm less on 15mm rims.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.