RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tidi View Post
    Anyone increase saddle set back to be able to lower saddle height,
    If so what are your experiences ?
    Wait... what?
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Didn't think the question was that hard...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. People have done that, but not me. See "crank forward" bikes for more extreme examples, or even recumbents.

In discussing your specific situation, a bit more info would be helpful, such as; type of bike and riding, issues with saddle height as opposed to saddle to crank distance, etc...
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    As looigi pointed out, people have done it and it makes some sense if you're talking about lowering saddle height as measured from the ground.

But if you're talking about (biokinetic) saddle height as measured from the pedal or the bottom bracket, it gets more complex. You need to keep in mind that changing saddle setback changes position over the bottom bracket as well as reach. Before making a change, do some math, figuring that every 10 mm of saddle height change will result in about 3 mm of saddle fore-aft change not touching the saddle rail clamp bolt(s).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ask this guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Do you have short legs/low pbh? I'm in the opposite situation- I have long legs/high pbh for my overall height and needed to decrease setback but being careful of knee position over pedal. Is the reason for changing setback to adjust knee position or reach?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Bbulmann, i have long legs and have been using a 780mm saddle height with an inline post. Have just recently experimented with dropping it to around 765mm and changing to a set back post. Yet to measure total set back from bb tho.
    So far i feel more push from behind bb which is obvious and have also put a longer stem on and upper body feels relaxed. Still experimenting so time will tell.
    Looigi, it's a road bike and i assumed ppl would understand that it's common to measure from bb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry i'm 179cm with an 88.5cm inseam.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Bbulmann, i have long legs and have been using a 780mm saddle height with an inline post. Have just recently experimented with dropping it to around 765mm and changing to a set back post. Yet to measure total set back from bb tho.
    So far i feel more push from behind bb which is obvious and have also put a longer stem on and upper body feels relaxed. Still experimenting so time will tell.
    Looigi, it's a road bike and i assumed ppl would understand that it's common to measure from bb.
    The point you are missing is that you don't simply adjust one so as to change the other. There is a range of saddle setback that gives KOPS +1 to -2 cm (or so) that accommodates nearly all riders. Within that range is fairly much personal preference with a more forward position favoring higher cadence.

You don't change setback "to be able to" change seat height. Seat height range that covers most riders is (measured along the seat tube) pedal axle to saddle top 108-110 % of cycling inseam (pubis to floor).

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    (measured along the seat tube)
    I think the notion held by tidi is that if you measure saddle height to the exact mid-point of the saddle and move the saddle back, saddle height would in fact increase.

In theory, you could argue that measuring saddle height along the seat tube makes no sense because there's no functional need for that measurement to have anything to do with the inclination of the seat tube. With an extremely rearward saddle, for example, measuring along the seat tube would have you measure the distance to a point on the saddle nose, not to where the rider actually sits most of the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    To the OP, what is the point of your question? What are you trying to achieve?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    To the OP, what is the point of your question? What are you trying to achieve?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing he's just trying to re-establish his exact saddle height after moving his saddle rearward and, as a consequence, just a tiny bit farther away from the pedal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing he's just trying to re-establish his exact saddle height after moving his saddle rearward and, as a consequence, just a tiny bit farther away from the pedal.
    Thats the same thing I thought

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    OP, IMO you have gone about this the wrong way.
    You need to work out saddle height and then setback.
    Ignore KOPS completely.
    I am amazed that posters who have been around as long as some who have posted here are still promoting it.

Go to Steve Hogg's blog and then read these posts, in this order:

Premise
    Saddle height
    Saddle set back

If you want to get fancy after that read:

Arch support
    Wedging
    Shimming

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Hi all
    Thanx for your posts. My question was as easy as it was written with no hidden messages. I asked if anyone had increased set back to lower the saddle. If issues caused ppl to do so then so be it otherwisewas it just experimental as is what im trying now.
    I figured i would try keeping of finding the same degree of leg extension in 2 different saddle positions ignoring hip extension obviously.
    It was a simple question with interest if others had experimented.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi all
    Thanx for your posts. My question was as easy as it was written with no hidden messages. I asked if anyone had increased set back to lower the saddle. If issues caused ppl to do so then so be it otherwisewas it just experimental as is what im trying now.
    I figured i would try keeping of finding the same degree of leg extension in 2 different saddle positions ignoring hip extension obviously.
    It was a simple question with interest if others had experimented.
    Try Googling Steve Bauer, he rode in the 80's. I posted the picture with the snarky, ask this guy.

Look at the bikes seat tube and think about the set back he experimented with. He rode one or two Paris-Roubaix on that bike, a Mercxk. I'm sure if you look you can find out his thoughts about his experiment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Thanx velodog

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I asked if anyone had increased set back to lower the saddle. I figured i would try keeping of finding the same degree of leg extension in 2 different saddle positions.
    The confusion came about because you asked about lowering saddle height. But what you meant was re-establishing an existing saddle height.