Setting up the CycleOps Powerbeam Pro Trainer
    Jack of no trades

Setting up the CycleOps Powerbeam Pro Trainer

Just got my new trainer delivered last night.

Threw the provided skewer on my bike, hooked it into the trainer.

My question is with the contact point where the bike's tire meets the trainer's resistance unit. The manual says to rotate the Clutch Knob until it "clicks twice." It does not click at all. How close should I put the roller to the tire. If I turn too far I will surely blow the tire. Too little and the wheel might start skipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Just got my new trainer delivered last night.

Threw the provided skewer on my bike, hooked it into the trainer.

My question is with the contact point where the bike's tire meets the trainer's resistance unit. The manual says to rotate the Clutch Knob until it "clicks twice." It does not click at all. How close should I put the roller to the tire. If I turn too far I will surely blow the tire. Too little and the wheel might start skipping.
    First is your tire inflated properly?

As with most trainers;
    Turn the knob till it makes contact with the tire.
    Turn the knob 2 to 2.5 turns more.

But here is what the clutch knob should be:

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    First is your tire inflated properly?

As with most trainers;
    Turn the knob till it makes contact with the tire.
    Turn the knob 2 to 2.5 turns more.

But here is what the clutch knob should be:
    Awesome! Thank you for that. The video was key. When I was turning the knob it was really depressing the tire (which my trainer tires are set at 110psi), and I was afraid if I turned it anymore it would pop. Just did it, heard the click, and now I'm good to go.

Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome! Thank you for that. The video was key. When I was turning the knob it was really depressing the tire (which my trainer tires are set at 110psi), and I was afraid if I turned it anymore it would pop. Just did it, heard the click, and now I'm good to go.

Thanks again!
    I got to be good for something LOL.

No problem

At this point i got to ask are you on zwift yet? Or are you on cvt2015?

Jack of no trades
    Yes. I was using the rollers until now. I just did a test run lap through Watopia and the auto resistance increase on the ascents was nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. I was using the rollers until now. I just did a test run lap through Watopia and the auto resistance increase on the ascents was nice.
    Make sure you go into the settings menu of zwift and change effect of resistance to maximum.

Jack of no trades
    Make sure you go into the settings menu of zwift and change effect of resistance to maximum.
    Ha! Let me get used to the resistance first. Then I'll worry about maximum resistance. I'm still in recovery mode from a broken collarbone (that doesn't seem to want to heal).

Another stupid question...

Is there an ON/OFF switch I am missing? Or should I just unplug when I'm done? I notice there is a blue light on even when not in use. Don't want the thing draining power all day and night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ha! Let me get used to the resistance first. Then I'll worry about maximum resistance. I'm still in recovery mode from a broken collarbone (that doesn't seem to want to heal).

Another stupid question...

Is there an ON/OFF switch I am missing? Or should I just unplug when I'm done? I notice there is a blue light on even when not in use. Don't want the thing draining power all day and night.
    Theres no off/on switch but when n ant+ signal is going to it it is essentially in sleep mode. So there is little draw of power.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Please post up any comments after a few rides. I have access to a discount on these and would like to hear some feedback from a regular user before pulling the trigger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Please post up any comments after a few rides. I have access to a discount on these and would like to hear some feedback from a regular user before pulling the trigger.
    I've been using the powerbeam pro for months on zwift. No problems with it. I've put a bit over 2000 'virtual miles' on it so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Good to hear. Thanks for the info. Seems like a solid trainer and their warranty seems good too.

I'm planning to use it with TrainerRoad in the Erg mode for certain workouts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good to hear. Thanks for the info. Seems like a solid trainer and their warranty seems good too.

I'm planning to use it with TrainerRoad in the Erg mode for certain workouts.
    ERG mode is a double edge sword. As it tends to lag just a bit, and sometimes you dont actually hit the wattage, so you have to overide it it just a bit probably like 5 %.

Also it is better to be in your smaller front chain ring and mid cassette when your in erg mode. It transitions better in interval training.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interest comment about erg mode. I've used it on Computrainers, really like it and am looking for a trainer that works well in erg mode. Does it work differently or not as well on the Cyclops trainers, Zwift, or which?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Interest comment about erg mode. I've used it on Computrainers, really like it and am looking for a trainer that works well in erg mode. Does it work differently or not as well on the Cyclops trainers, Zwift, or which?
    Zwift workouts in erg mode are abysmal, if i am going to do an erg workout i am just going to trainerroad. zwift is ok in sim mode, however cvt2015 is the best in sim mode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I've done zwift workouts that use erg mode and it's worked fine (and I like them). The only problem I've heard of is with some of the workouts that have very short intervals. 10s for example. It can be hard for the trainer to adjust to the new wattage target before the interval is over, and on zwift that can mean you don't get credit for the interval.

I believe it's the same for all trainers on zwift, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    ERG mode is a double edge sword. As it tends to lag just a bit, and sometimes you dont actually hit the wattage, so you have to overide it it just a bit probably like 5 %.
    Yeah, I've read about the lag. My intention is to use the PBP in Erg just for the longer interval sessions, say 2 minutes or more. I plan to use my KK Road Machine for all the quicker changing, higher effort intervals that come later in the TR plan.

Right now I am in the Traditional Base phase of TR. So, with my KKRM I have to constantly watch my effort and make minor adjustments to match the power target within intervals from 5-15 minutes. Not really a problem, but when I lose focus, I drift up or down from the goal.

I love the idea of the Erg mode for these types of efforts since they are largely stable and I can just pedal at a comfortable cadence or whatever cadence is intended for some of the form work in these base sessions. I am hoping/expecting the resulting power to be more stable than what I can do, at least when I'm not paying attention.

Also it is better to be in your smaller front chain ring and mid cassette when your in erg mode. It transitions better in interval training.
    Thanks for the tip. I planned to experiment a bit with big vs small. I'm wondering how much difference the driven roller and flywheel speed has on the overall feel.

I know you have the KICKR and would love to get one. But I can only get a smoking deal on the Powerbeam, so that looks like what I will get. It should be better than what I can do with my dumb trainer for some workouts anyway.
    Last edited by Chader09; 12-07-2015 at 07:16 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I've read about the lag. My intention is to use the PBP in Erg just for the longer interval sessions, say 2 minutes or more. I plan to use my KKRM for all the quicker changing, higher effort intervals that come later in the TR plan.

Right now I am in the Traditional Base phase of TR. So, with my KK Road Machine I have to constantly watch my effort and make minor adjustments to match the power target within intervals from 5-15 minutes. Not really a problem, but when I lose focus, I drift up or down from the goal.

I love the idea of the Erg mode for these types of efforts since they are largely stable and I can just pedal at a comfortable cadence or whatever cadence is intended for some of the form work in these base sessions. I am hoping/expecting the resulting power to be more stable than what I can do, at least when I'm not paying attention.

Thanks for the tip. I planned to experiment a bit with big vs small. I'm wondering how much difference the driven roller and flywheel speed has on the overall feel.

I know you have the KICKR and would love to get one. But I can only get a smoking deal on the Powerbeam, so that looks like what I will get. It should be better than what I can do with my dumb trainer for some workouts anyway.
    The powerbeam will be just fine, cycleops has been in the trainer business for years.

Ways to enhance it though are to get a trainer tire and go to the max limit of inflation to avoid losses in power. Just keep your firmware up to date and do a spindown either at the beginning or ending. But before you do spindown, roll for about 10 mins to warm everything up at an easy spin.

Also usb extension cable for the ant+ dongle, those things are weak as hell. Also since you have a wheel on trainer get a climbing block, or atleast a riser for the front wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I built an angled riser that allows me to set level or front high on a variety of trainers or how I want to ride that day. Works great.

So far, I don't need a USB extension since my laptop is on a table right beside me and I am getting excellent signal in TR. But I can get one if I change my layout and reception drops at all.

I heard about the warmup and spindown so I plan to do those whenever they are intended. It will be interesting since I have a PowerTap G3 wheel that I use for true power readings on my KKRM at the moment.

I am unsure if TR is better to read the power and adjust it's Erg setting based on the PBP itself or the G3 hub? Seems it might have to come from the PBP, but maybe not. The hub has a higher precision level than the trainer, so that could be an advantage.
    Last edited by Chader09; 12-07-2015 at 10:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I built an angled riser that allow me to set level or front high on a variety of trainers or how I want to ride that day. Works great.

So far, I don't need a USB extension since my laptop is on a table right beside me and I am getting excellent signal in TR. But I can get on if I change my layout and reception drops at all.

I heard about the warmup and spindown so I plan to do those whenever they are intended. It will be interesting since I have a PowerTap G3 wheel that I use for true power readings on my KKRM at the moment.

I am unsure if TR is better to read the power and adjust it's Erg setting based on the PBP itself or the G3 hub? Seems it might have to come from the PBP, but maybe not. The hub has a higher precision level than the trainer, so that could be an advantage.
    TR can use your powetap hub and controllable trainer in conjunction. Just pair your powertap as the power source and smart trainer to control it.

You may need to install the latest trainer road to do so. Trainer road will broadcast to the trainer to adjust.

CycleOps Powerbeam Pro ? TrainerRoad
    this ought to help you use it effectively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Cool. Good to know the hub can work since it has better accuracy overall.

I have been using the new TR Windows Beta, so I have the software version covered already. I forget if it currently supports the PBP, but I think it does. I know they just add support for Computrainer in one of the recent patches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It will support it because it is ant+.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    True, but they list it in the "Upcoming Beta Features" section on the following page:
    https://www.trainerroad.com/install/beta

I know I saw the CT added in the most recent updates. But I can't remember if I saw the PBP. It should be coming shortly if it isn't there now. I am waiting to order my PBP until late this month or early January anyway.