share your homemade electrolyte recipe
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

I'm experimenting with ratios in what I hope will be my go-to electrolyte mixture. I'd like to know what others are putting in theirs, in what proportion, and for what conditions.

Basically, I'm adding Na, Ca, K, and some kind of sweetener to a bottle of filtered tap water. I've been using maple syrup or honey for their relatively low glycemic indices (particularly maple syrup since 1) it's got the lowest Glycemic index, and 2) I live in New Hampshire).

1/8 tspn. sea salt
    1/2 tspn maple syrup or honey
    roughly 200 mg Ca (with magnesium) in the form of a powdered supplement

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    I'm experimenting with ratios in what I hope will be my go-to electrolyte mixture. I'd like to know what others are putting in theirs, in what proportion, and for what conditions.

Basically, I'm adding Na, Ca, K, and some kind of sweetener to a bottle of filtered tap water. I've been using maple syrup or honey for their relatively low glycemic indices (particularly maple syrup since 1) it's got the lowest Glycemic index, and 2) I live in New Hampshire).

1/8 tspn. sea salt
    1/2 tspn maple syrup or honey
    roughly 200 mg Ca (with magnesium) in the form of a powdered supplement
    1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar. You donít need anything else.
    Last edited by PBL450; 07-15-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    I Homebrew beer as well so that's the obvious post ride recovery solution. Have a nice Kolsch, a dry stout and a Belgian single on tap currently. In the middle of Summer may go with a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar in one bottle. Maybe I should brew up a Gose and get two birds with one stone. Mostly try to stay hydrated before and have a banana to keep calf cramps at bay.
    Last edited by R00K; 07-15-2019 at 05:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You donít need Calcium, magnesium or anything else... Maybe you have a rare medical condition? Maybe you eat the worst diet know to any human? If those are both false statements stop complicating things. In one of 2 bottles, in the heat, or on long rides, mix the salt and sugar, you will barely even notice it and it will be more than enough to replace what you need. The sugar is there to facilitate the osmotic process. If you want to feed with fluids, it is still every bit as important to separate feeding from hydration. Keep it simple. Respect science.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    You donít need Calcium, magnesium or anything else... Maybe you have a rare medical condition? Maybe you eat the worst diet know to any human? If those are both false statements stop complicating things. In one of 2 bottles, in the heat, or on long rides, mix the salt and sugar, you will barely even notice it and it will be more than enough to replace what you need. The sugar is there to facilitate the osmotic process. If you want to feed with fluids, it is still every bit as important to separate feeding from hydration. Keep it simple. Respect science.
    Interesting...and yet so simple. The 1/4 tsp amounts of sugar and salt, is that for a standard sized water bottle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Interesting...and yet so simple. The 1/4 tsp amounts of sugar and salt, is that for a standard sized water bottle?
    Yep, it doesnít need to be precise. I spent 3 days reading journal articles on athletic hydration. It boiled down to being this simple. Haha. Minus odd diets and some medical conditions. I read lots about sloshing. Itís why itís good to separate feeding and hydration. Feeding slows gut absorption. (1/4 tsp sugar is not enough to contribute to this effect) and can causge sloshing. Sloshing can cause puking. Fluids behind food, with slowed gut absorption...
    Last edited by PBL450; 07-16-2019 at 04:59 PM.

banned
    S

Yep, it doesnít need to be precise. I spent 3 days reading journal articles on athletic hydration. It boiled down to being this simple. Haha. Minus odd diets and some medical conditions. I read lots about sloshing. Itís why itís good to separate feeding and hydration. Feeding slows gut absorption. (1/4 tsp sugar is not enough to contribute to this effect) and can causge sloshing. Sloshing can cause puking. Fluids behind food, with slowed gut absorption...
    Sure enough, that's how a PowerBar came up spontaneously, after drinking a slug of water while on an insane club ride on a hot day. That was the last time I combined feeding with hydration.

Salt and sugar indeed function as osmotic in cooking and eating food, so I'd think, logically, they'd also work that way in hydration. Gonna try your recipe next ride! Expect it will be much nicer than a half capsule of this Nunn crap I can't use up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar. You donít need anything else.
    but if the ride gets too long and hot .. there is often a need for pickle juice, in my experience. And science doesn't seem to have the answer why, afaik.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    but if the ride gets too long and hot .. there is often a need for pickle juice, in my experience. And science doesn't seem to have the answer why, afaik.
    It's pretty straightforward. Pickle juice = lots of salts.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    It's pretty straightforward. Pickle juice = lots of salts.
    Also has vinegar (a component which has been shown to alleviate cramps in at least one study--https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2010/05000/Reflex_Inhibition_of_Electrically_Induced_Muscle.1 5.aspx); pickles are supposed to be probiotic, at least "fresh" pickles.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    but why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Also has vinegar (a component which has been shown to alleviate cramps in at least one study--https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2010/05000/Reflex_Inhibition_of_Electrically_Induced_Muscle.1 5.aspx); pickles are supposed to be probiotic, at least "fresh" pickles.
    There is a pile of research on foods that facilitate a healthy gut biome and fresh pickles, including sauerkraut and others are definitely great, so are bananas. The research on ďprobioticĒ supplements mostly suggests they are more likely slightly problematic than beneficial. Attempting to populate the gut biome with essentially foreign organisms doesnít work. Using your own? Absolutely works and can restore a healthy gut super quickly after, say, a course of antibiotics. Fast. Like a day or two vs months. Vinegar and cramps? Wow. I wonder what the mechanism is? It canít be acidity? Right? Well, country doctors recommended cider vinegar or all kinds of things...
    Last edited by PBL450; 08-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.

xxl
    ...Attempting to populate the gut biome with essentially foreign organisms doesnít work.
    Agree; I eat enough of my own sh*t as it is.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

Russian Troll Farmer
    ... The research on ďprobioticĒ supplements mostly suggests they are more likely slightly problematic than beneficial. Attempting to populate the gut biome with essentially foreign organisms doesnít work. ......
    Well, not always. The problem with probiotics is that no single supplement will help ALL people, and will probably cause issues with SOME people. I went through 7 or 8 different probiotic supplements before I found one which gave some relief to my issues. Several of the others actually exacerbated them. YMMV. But my issues were fairly severe (IBC), and working around my dietary restrictions due to my kidney disease made things even more difficult. In the end, I had to see a gastroenterologist.

FWIW, I think most of your recipes sound ghastly...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Agree; I eat enough of my own sh*t as it is.

Hahaha! I canít seem to rep anyone around here!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, not always. The problem with probiotics is that no single supplement will help ALL people, and will probably cause issues with SOME people. I went through 7 or 8 different probiotic supplements before I found one which gave some relief to my issues. Several of the others actually exacerbated them. YMMV. But my issues were fairly severe (IBC), and working around my dietary restrictions due to my kidney disease made things even more difficult. In the end, I had to see a gastroenterologist.

FWIW, I think most of your recipes sound ghastly...
    I donít know what recipes you are referring to...

So, researchers have had a difficult time with claims that ďprobioticsĒ have any effect. If you eat something alive it doesnít stay that way for very long. That applies to everything. 2 studies appeared around a year or so ago that showed promise, one in very young children. That sparked another round of studies. The most current conclusions suggest probiotics are useless. Yes, they bother some people. They do nothing in anyone. When they studied replenishing your gut biome with your own healthy organisms it worked really well. You may find that ghastly, but thatís irrelevant to the findings. For many reasons, your reasons included, this is important research. The implications for premature babies are fabulous using mothers gut biome. It may be ghastly but it may also save babies lives.
    Last edited by PBL450; 08-01-2019 at 03:36 PM.