Sharp cracking sound
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

Sharp cracking sound

Was group riding along a miserable stretch of pavement, such as it was, and hit one particularly grotesque bump. I heard a sharp crack. But there was no further sound as I continued to ride, and no untoward movement in the bike's handling characteristics. Took it over to the LBS after the ride and they think it was the seat rail; when he pulled up sharply on it, it made a similar cracking noise.

I suppose it takes a lot more of a bump to crack a carbon frame than even the worst pot hole can produce. Unless of course you take a spill and the frame lands on its side harshly.

Anyone else had a similar experience with seat rails?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've heard sharp cracks when a handlebar slips/rotates suddenly in the stem, like when hitting a bridge transition or pothole.
    Inspect, grease, and re-torque.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    It was your muffler bearing.

[REDACTED]
    Creaks and pops can be annoying. Can be from anywhere. The biggest concern is if it's from the headset. If you can't repeat it, you'll never find it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post

Anyone else had a similar experience with seat rails?
    The mech probably found the culprit. Seat rails will do that. Rider hits a bump and bounces hard on the saddle. If the rails aren't evenly clamped onto the seatpost, too far forward or too far back, or not quite tight enough, they could make a cracking noise on a hard bump. Until you meet another hard bump, you won't feel it again.

It's a straightforward fix. Loosen up the seat clamp bolt[s] and carefully reassemble, with a tiny amount of grease on the bolt threads, so they'll torque down smoothly. Around 10 ft.# will do it for steel and aluminum. Don't know how much torque on carbon, but its gotta be high enough to absorb the shock of a 170# rider's butt mashing down on it over the bumps.

The plastic "sockets" holding the rails onto the seat frequently deteriorate under hard shocks. I've seen the plastic holder under the nose of the seat lose strength at the junctures. The rail assembly doesn't fit anymore and makes a cracking sound. But I'd check the clamp first. That's where the fit problems occur.

Heck, try repeating what the mech did, and you might be able to hear where it's coming from!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:59 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The mech probably found the culprit. Seat rails will do that. !
    I've had more mysterious sounds on my MTBs that turned out to be seat clamp related than from any other source. Especially if the bike gets very dirty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I had a similar sound, that was repeatable, and I finally traced it to the saddle rails. It was a Fizik saddle. Doing a little research, led me to the conclusion that it was a known issue with some of their saddles. I really liked the saddle, but eventually changed to a Bontrager saddle, and it has been quiet ever since.

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    I had a similar sound, that was repeatable, and I finally traced it to the saddle rails. It was a Fizik saddle. Doing a little research, led me to the conclusion that it was a known issue with some of their saddles. I really liked the saddle, but eventually changed to a Bontrager saddle, and it has been quiet ever since.
    If the noise is coming from where the rails enter the saddle body, it's super easy to fix. Tip the bike up so the rails are perpendicular to the ground and put a drop of lube where the rails enter the saddle. Give things a bit of time to penetrate along the saddle rail. Flip the bike the other way and repeat.

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I've heard sharp cracks when a handlebar slips/rotates suddenly in the stem, like when hitting a bridge transition or pothole.
    Inspect, grease, and re-torque.
    Had this happen just a few weeks ago. First a sharp crack on one set of railroad tracks, then a full slip on the next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It was your muffler bearing.
    Could be the Fetzer too.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Could be the Fetzer too.
    7th Fetzer valve? You need some 30wt ball bearings and 3-in-1 oil, fix you right up.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    If I recall correctly, I did try some lube where the rails entered the saddle. I might try that again, and see if I can salvage that saddle!! Thanks for the tip.

Jim D

[REDACTED]
    Some advice from an older thread:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...le-347758.html
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein