Shifter hard to move

Printable View

• 07-17-2019
    coondogger
    Shifter hard to move
    My left shifter, which actuates the front derailleur, was recently replaced. It worked fine at first, now it is very hard to move the big lever to go to the larger chain ring; the small lever is fine. Any thoughts?
  • 07-17-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Cable stretch? Cable bolt not torqued down properly? Normal seating of the end at the shifter? I dunno-don't have my crystal ball handy.
  • 07-17-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Cable stretch? Cable bolt not torqued down properly? Normal seating of the end at the shifter? I dunno-don't have my crystal ball handy.

No such thing.
  • 07-17-2019
    Kerry Irons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    My left shifter, which actuates the front derailleur, was recently replaced. It worked fine at first, now it is very hard to move the big lever to go to the larger chain ring; the small lever is fine. Any thoughts?

Do you mean that it is physically hard to push the lever, or that when you push the lever it is hard to get it on the big ring? Also, do you know that there is a components/wrenching forum here?
  • 07-17-2019
    cxwrench
    He's posted there as well.
  • 07-17-2019
    coondogger
    Physically hard to push the lever.
  • 07-17-2019
    coondogger
    To be clear, the derailleur is fine. The large shift lever to move chain to bigger chain ring is physically hard to move. I tried a teflon cable and it didnít solve the problem.
  • 07-19-2019
    bradkay
    Is there too sharp an angle in the cable housing at it heads to the downtube? This could be causing extra resistance to your shift attempt. With some bikes it works better to have the cable/housing go around the front of the head tube before entering the downtube interior routing.
  • 07-20-2019
    frdfandc
    Can you physically move the front derailleur by pulling on the cable? If you can, then there is something wrong with the shifter itself. If not, then the FD is binding.