• 07-27-2019
    Srode
    shifting problem 19 to 18 and/or 11 to 12
    Di2 bike, rear DR aligned nicely, 11/23 Ultegra cassette with DuraAce 9150 everything else including chain. I have the rear adjustment set at 11, and it's lagging going from 19 to 18 shifts both big ring and small ring, and on the other end it's a little lagging going 11 to 12. If I set it for a clean 19 to 18, the 11/12 shift won't happen for a long time, and visa versa. All the other gears shift great. It's a new cassette and fairly new chain and it's installed correctly with the writing outboard side. It did it with the old cassette too. What am I missing here?
  • 07-27-2019
    fronesis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Di2 bike, rear DR aligned nicely, 11/23 Ultegra cassette with DuraAce 9150 everything else including chain. I have the rear adjustment set at 11, and it's lagging going from 19 to 18 shifts both big ring and small ring, and on the other end it's a little lagging going 11 to 12. If I set it for a clean 19 to 18, the 11/12 shift won't happen for a long time, and visa versa. All the other gears shift great. It's a new cassette and fairly new chain and it's installed correctly with the writing outboard side. It did it with the old cassette too. What am I missing here?

    Does the bold part mean that youíve already checked/adjusted the derailleur hanger with the proper tool?

    If so, Iím at a loss.

    If not, then Iíd put most of my money on it being a hanger that is not perfectly true to the frame (in both axes).

    Iíve built up from the frame or done the initial adjustment out of the box 8 new bikes. 6 of the 8 had hangers that required adjustment to make them perfectly true.

    If itís not the hanger, then I dunno. My experience with Di2 is that itís pretty much flawless, so with a new cassette and chain...this should not be happening.
  • 07-27-2019
    Alaska Mike
    I was going to say hanger alignment as well.
  • 07-27-2019
    cxwrench
    In GD? C'mon...
  • 07-28-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    Does the bold part mean that youíve already checked/adjusted the derailleur hanger with the proper tool?

    Yep, DAG 2.2 and it's aligned both axis - within a couple MM at the rim contact points with the tool on both axis. What's odd is every other gear shifts great, just those 2 shifts suck. The 19-18 is the shift between the 3 and 2 cog packs which seems to be the only noteworthy thing about that shift. If it hadn't done the same on the other cassette I would have thought I had some dirt between the cog packs, guess I'll check that to make sure there's nothing there. But if there was I would think other shifts would be off too either in the middle or between 23/21/19.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    In GD? C'mon...

    I know, I could have sworn it was in the wrenching section when I posted it - my bad :mad2:
  • 07-28-2019
    fronesis
    Given what you say above, I wonder if it would be worth your time to try a new chain?

    Everything else on the system is basically brand new and seems to be installed perfectly, so since the chain has some miles on it, might be worth your time just to see if you can get the problem to repeat on a brand new, properly sized chain.
  • 07-28-2019
    cxwrench
    It's odd that the derailleur adjustment is at 11. I've had to do that before but it's somewhat unusual. Unless there is a much more wear on those particular cog I'd expect the shifting to be the same between all cogs. Since your cassette is new...it's not that.

    Even if the hanger is slightly out of alignment the smaller cogs will normally shift at least pretty well, but I'd still want to check that again. I wouldn't think chain wear is the problem because it's only happening on those 2 shifts.
  • 07-28-2019
    BacDoc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's odd that the derailleur adjustment is at 11. I've had to do that before but it's somewhat unusual. Unless there is a much more wear on those particular cog I'd expect the shifting to be the same between all cogs. Since your cassette is new...it's not that.

    Even if the hanger is slightly out of alignment the smaller cogs will normally shift at least pretty well, but I'd still want to check that again. I wouldn't think chain wear is the problem because it's only happening on those 2 shifts.

    Please post your comments in the appropriate forum!

    😎
  • 07-29-2019
    Srode
    Well the Chain and Cassette are both new, but I happened to have another new cassette in the toolbox, so I put that on just to see if it was an bad cassette and the same thing happened which is what I expected. I rechecked the DR hanger, and it's just as good as you can get it.

    So I went back to the dealer manual to start from scratch setting it up. First thing is the end adjust screw which I had set to size the chain for an 11/34 which worked great......... so you can guess where this is headed right? Yep, I backed the end adjust screw all the way out and it still had clearance in the 23 cog and was tight enough in the 11. So next step I put it in #5 Gear, adjusted per the manual and viola, it shifted pretty good across the cassette - had to adjust it 2 more clicks outboard and it's shifting perfect.

    I feel like a Dummy now of course, but at least I now know something else to look for to fix bad shifting. I would never have thought having that screw cranked would effect shifting, thought it was just for having a good gear wrap so you don't jump teeth under a load. WRONG! I guess it makes sense, the DR is a long way from the gears so hard to get the precision needed to put the chain in the right position consistently, why those gears were the problem I don't know but it's fixed now. :thumbsup:
  • 07-29-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Well the Chain and Cassette are both new, but I happened to have another new cassette in the toolbox, so I put that on just to see if it was an bad cassette and the same thing happened which is what I expected. I rechecked the DR hanger, and it's just as good as you can get it.

    So I went back to the dealer manual to start from scratch setting it up. First thing is the end adjust screw which I had set to size the chain for an 11/34 which worked great......... so you can guess where this is headed right? Yep, I backed the end adjust screw all the way out and it still had clearance in the 23 cog and was tight enough in the 11. So next step I put it in #5 Gear, adjusted per the manual and viola, it shifted pretty good across the cassette - had to adjust it 2 more clicks outboard and it's shifting perfect.

    I feel like a Dummy now of course, but at least I now know something else to look for to fix bad shifting. I would never have thought having that screw cranked would effect shifting, thought it was just for having a good gear wrap so you don't jump teeth under a load. WRONG! I guess it makes sense, the DR is a long way from the gears so hard to get the precision needed to put the chain in the right position consistently, why those gears were the problem I don't know but it's fixed now. :thumbsup:

    That makes sense!