Shimano will Not be Sold in The USA - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    They won't ship Garmin products to the US either. Texas Cyclesports is great for upgrade kits and groupsets, often not the best deal on individual components like chains and cassettes etc.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    The difference is how things are distributed, middle manned, wholesaled, and OEM in US vs. Europe/UK. Shimano is saying they will work to control it better. The local bike shop still has issues with large US based online retailers like Competitive, Excel or Colorado Cyclist that buy the build kits for the frames they purchase and get the discount, then can retail the parts cheaper than LBS cost at the end of the season and kill the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but if your Shimano product doesn't come down the line from Shimano USA, there is no warranty In the US. If your Dura Ace shifter craps out in 2-1/2 years, you'd have to deal with whomever you bought it from, or Shimano UK.
    Any Shimano dealer should honor the warranty. Nothing says you have take the component back to where you bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't read anything about Shimano products specifically, but there are quite a few companies that won't warranty 'gray market' products. Nikon is one example, I believe Garmin as well may be.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I haven't read anything about Shimano products specifically, but there are quite a few companies that won't warranty 'gray market' products. Nikon is one example, I believe Garmin as well may be.
    what exactly is "gray" market? Is CR a gray market seller?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    When I did a partial Di2 Ultegra upgrade last January, the best price I got was from Texas CycleSport. It's that way currently as well. I watched all the prices at Ribble, Chain Reaction, etc..... went to Texas.
    isn't Texas Cyclesport partially owned by L^nce ^rmstrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I just know how my LBS operates. If I walk in there with a broken Shimano component, they are very likely to warranty it. It doesn't happen often with Shimano, but it's happened with other components. (Most recently an Enve wheel).

It probably helps that I have spent a lot of money there over the years, but I've seen them honor warranty claims for others as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Any Shimano dealer should honor the warranty. Nothing says you have take the component back to where you bought it.

I went directly to Shimano US when I needed to warranty a shifter and they did ask for a receipt. I don't think that had anything to do with verifying where I bought it though other than verifying I bought it retail as opposed to from my neighbor or whatever. It's the only way they'd be able to tell when the clock started on the warranty time and that I was "the original retail purchaser" which is only who the warranty covers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I just know how my LBS operates. If I walk in there with a broken Shimano component, they are very likely to warranty it. It doesn't happen often with Shimano, but it's happened with other components. (Most recently an Enve wheel).

It probably helps that I have spent a lot of money there over the years, but I've seen them honor warranty claims for others as well.
    If an LBS is an authorized dealer of a said item, they're obligated to help you warrant that item with its manufacturer. The caveat here is that if you didn't buy that item from their store, then LBS may charge you a "processing fee". This happened to me when I had to warrant an Easton wheel that I didn't purchase at an LBS. I then asked an Easton rep about this processing fee from the LBS and the rep told me that Easton has no control over the processing fee that's up to the LBS' policy. But I was ok with paying the process fee since the LBS has helped me in the past to order obscure parts from other manufacturers in the past so I appreciated that.

Then at another LBS, I went to them to help me warrant a Shimano wheel that I didn't buy from them, and they also helped me warrant it. They only charge me the shipping fee to Shimano. That's it. No processing fee. I knew the manager here and have bought a Di2 groupset and frames from them in the past, and they also built a couple of my bikes... so the manager appreciated my past business and not charge me processing fee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    IIRC, as they also act as a manufacturer with their various house brand labeling on open mold frames, they're able to purchase OEM Shimano groupsets which don't normally include retail packaging and are priced well below retail groupsets.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    There's authorized sellers, and unauthorized sellers...which are fairly self-explanatory.

Then there's gray market. Someone who imported/acquired a good and is selling it; through channels either intra-country or imported internationally, but they may themselves be authorized in their own country. Many many goods get gray-market sold. Amazon in particular is full of them. CR is authorised in the UK (probably the EU as a whole) but is gray market in the USA.

Another example is ALite camping equipment. They're MUSA and have a lifetime warranty....and there's tons of their stuff on Amazon---but 3rd-Party-Amazon (fulfilled by XXX) is gray market, that is they're not an authorized reseller. Even though Amazon and ALite and the 3rd party are all intra-USA companies/operations.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    There's authorized sellers, and unauthorized sellers...which are fairly self-explanatory.

Then there's gray market. Someone who imported/acquired a good and is selling it; through channels either intra-country or imported internationally, but they may themselves be authorized in their own country. Many many goods get gray-market sold. Amazon in particular is full of them. CR is authorised in the UK (probably the EU as a whole) but is gray market in the USA.

Another example is ALite camping equipment. They're MUSA and have a lifetime warranty....and there's tons of their stuff on Amazon---but 3rd-Party-Amazon (fulfilled by XXX) is gray market, that is they're not an authorized reseller. Even though Amazon and ALite and the 3rd party are all intra-USA companies/operations.
    so basically gray market sellers are in fact unauthorized sellers in the market in which they're selling, i.e., CR is an unauthorized sellers in the US market. Shoot, I bought a lot of stuff from them, i'm probably at their mercy when it comes to warranty then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back in the day, Airborne (web based Ti frame retailer) offered a high degree of customization of components, and I suspect that they bought from Shimano, Campy and Sram (at least) based on that, meaning that they might end up with an imbalance in their inventory, thus, the company would shed some of this once a year at significant discounts which put them at odds with local shops AND Shimano (at least).

Locals might plan their next projects around what might be available at these sales (I've still got a schlitzload of components from the early 2000s) which could have been considered to have a hint of "grey", however, to my knowledge, Airborne only offered these deals directly from their warehouse (you had to be at the warehouse) and only once (or perhaps twice) a year.

Parker International used to sell Sidi in the US far below US retail which caught the eye of the Italians and they ceased selling to North America in the early 2000s as well.

Ah the glory days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I went directly to Shimano US when I needed to warranty a shifter and they did ask for a receipt. I don't think that had anything to do with verifying where I bought it though other than verifying I bought it retail as opposed to from my neighbor or whatever. It's the only way they'd be able to tell when the clock started on the warranty time and that I was "the original retail purchaser" which is only who the warranty covers.
    Hmm I once brought my wheel to the Shimano warranty headquarter in Irvine, CA and got told by a service rep to go through an authorized bike shop. They don't take walk-ins.

Interestingly enough, they warranty center was also selling a bunch fishing gears. I was a little bedazzled by all the high end fishing gears they make, some of which are quite a piece of mechanical engineering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I don't think this matters any more. I seem to recall that Shimano reduced their pricing in the US 15-20% a couple of years ago. Since then, the European websites are not much (or any) cheaper than domestic websites for most Shimano products. I just did a quick search and Walmart (!) is actually about $36 cheaper for an Ultegra 8000 group than Chain Reaction: $621 vs. $657.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    On the website of Chainreaction there is a notice that beginning January 1 they will no longer be selling Shimano in the USA.
    The notice wasn't there when I went, but nothing of Shimano is available and Shimano is not in the list of Brands.

CRC's sister company, Wiggle, does have Shimano like before, and they'll ship to NA. I didn't buy something to test but there wasn't any message about being prohibited. All the other online vendors offer to sell you Shimano like before but their stock is low, isn't it usually this time of year.

So WTF is going on I can't tell. Maybe Shimano sent CRC a sternly worded letter, so CRC said "Good day, sir!" to Shimano. Only CRC though. Is this the end of CRC? Only the Shadow knows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12