Shimano will Not be Sold in The USA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Shimano will Not be Sold in The USA

On the website of Chainreaction there is a notice that beginning January 1 they will no longer be selling Shimano in the USA.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Not just USA also Canada...BRAIN reached out to get comment from other major EU merchants about Shimano sales...but hasn't heard anything back AFAIK

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...mano-us-canada
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Is there a chance that postBrexit, there should be some trading agreements that make 'British exported' North American bound, less expensive than the larger EU regulated products.

I admit to not understanding the implications for UK with this Brexit. Are new trading policies and arrangements almost in place? Maybe the Brits can become a free trade zone for import/export - sorta the Singapore of the Atlantic???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    All the winning!
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    Is there a chance that postBrexit, there should be some trading agreements that make 'British exported' North American bound, less expensive than the larger EU regulated products.

I admit to not understanding the implications for UK with this Brexit. Are new trading policies and arrangements almost in place? Maybe the Brits can become a free trade zone for import/export - sorta the Singapore of the Atlantic???

Oh. Boy.

Well....this seemingly simple question is mired in some oh so complicated realities...the TL;DR version is basically this 7 minute internet video (which links to other vids by the same author to explain side issues):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_I2rfApYk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano has played this card b4 and had been unsuccessfully challenged in US (at least) courts for price fixing.

And, Shimano isn't the only one doing this. While it's been a while, I used to be able to get Sidi shipped from Europe at a fraction of US retail. Viva Capitalism.

Darling of The Lounge

Any further dialog on trade scenarios will swiftly put this thread in PO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lol. Yet another reason buy Campy. Shimano sucks anyway.
    Last edited by Notvintage; 12-23-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Shimano has played this card b4 and had been unsuccessfully challenged in US (at least) courts for price fixing.

And, Shimano isn't the only one doing this. While it's been a while, I used to be able to get Sidi shipped from Europe at a fraction of US retail. Viva Capitalism.
    SRAM too. Also Speedplay. Among others.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    OP should change his thread title to something that actually explains what's going on.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

The UK can't even start new trade negotiations with other countries until it is fully out of the EU, and trade deals are considered "rapidly neotiated" if they take less than 4 years. As of today, the UK is the Titanic sailing at full speed in the North Atlantic. There are plenty of icebergs, but also heavy fog. Nobody knows where this will end up but I sure wouldn't put off a bike parts purchasing decision waiting for things to settle down.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    OP should change his thread title to something that actually explains what's going on.
    who does that here?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    I admit to not understanding the implications for UK with this Brexit.
    You're not the only one. Nobody knows, least of all the UK. Brexit is a total clusterf!ck. It's worse than the Titanic. At least that one knew where it was going. The UK is hitting the big "delete"-button on countless trading agreements, without having something else in place.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Any further dialog on trade scenarios will swiftly put this thread in PO.
    Didn't mean for my comment to be Political. What's really going on sounds more controversially Political.

What's really going on here is either: 1. Shimano USA wanting 100% control on domestic market price. 2. Chinese manufactured product inbound from anywhere to USA needs tariffs applied. 3. A combination of 1+2. 4. Something else, because strong dollar should dictate lower prices in $USA$.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Itís quite a stretch to hang all these issues of Brexit, tariffs and price fixing on an announcement from a single retailer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the thread title is effin stupid.

straight out of the 'click-bait' manual...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    And I clicked into the thread too. ;) The fishing guys would be upset too. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    frustrating enough that they have never sold SRAM groupsets for a while now (esp MTB)

glad I already got my new ultegra shadow derailleurs from CR a month ago . MUCH better than the prior Ultegra I was using on that cross bike

for us Canadians CR has been a good choice because dealing with US retailers always seems to be more expensive, worse shipping etc.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 12-25-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    On the website of Chainreaction there is a notice that beginning January 1 they will no longer be selling Shimano in the USA.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en
    I did not think there was a big price advantage buying Shimano stuff in the UK from the US like there is with Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I did not think there was a big price advantage buying Shimano stuff in the UK from the US like there is with Campy
    When I did a partial Di2 Ultegra upgrade last January, the best price I got was from Texas CycleSport. It's that way currently as well. I watched all the prices at Ribble, Chain Reaction, etc..... went to Texas.

Banned forever.....or not
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but if your Shimano product doesn't come down the line from Shimano USA, there is no warranty In the US. If your Dura Ace shifter craps out in 2-1/2 years, you'd have to deal with whomever you bought it from, or Shimano UK.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but if your Shimano product doesn't come down the line from Shimano USA, there is no warranty In the US. If your Dura Ace shifter craps out in 2-1/2 years, you'd have to deal with whomever you bought it from, or Shimano UK.
    Most likely yes. That is the way Campagnolo is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it could be argued that such policies protect customers by insuring genuine Shimano through genuine vendors, the other side suggest that a vendor that buys 10,000 Shimano units wholesale has to sell their inventory at the same price as the vendor that buys 100 even though their risk and overhead seem greater.

Capitalism only makes sense if you want it to make sense (or artificially manipulate the hell outta it to try and maintain an illusion of making sense). 1+1= whatever the market will bear at that particular time and place.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    When I did a partial Di2 Ultegra upgrade last January, the best price I got was from Texas CycleSport.
    Me too. Full Dura Ace build kit. Great price and customer service. I got a phone call a few min after placing the order online verifying my wire lengths.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    How do they know where the parts came from? Shimano parts are so reliable, you'll probably never need the warranty. Well worth the risk to save 50% off MSRP/MAAP prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast