ShockStop Suspension Stem
    [REDACTED]

ShockStop Suspension Stem

Posted this in Components & Wrenching, but no replies so I'll post here in good ol' General.

Has anyone here had experience with this? I'm seriously thinking about trying one.

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/reds...p-stem-review/

https://road.cc/cont
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    i bought one when they first came out. Rode it for about a year and loved it. I have it on two bikes now, and have put them on the girlfriends bikes as well.

Not sure if you are looking for anything specific. If you set up the elastomers following their instructions, I think they are fantastic.

I talked to one person who didn't like theirs saying it was too soft. He didn't even mess with the elastomers and just used the default setup. I helped him set it up and now he loves it.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    i bought one when they first came out. Rode it for about a year and loved it. I have it on two bikes now, and have put them on the girlfriends bikes as well.

Not sure if you are looking for anything specific. If you set up the elastomers following their instructions, I think they are fantastic.

I talked to one person who didn't like theirs saying it was too soft. He didn't even mess with the elastomers and just used the default setup. I helped him set it up and now he loves it.
    Thank you for the response! I am looking for something to soften the jarring a bit more on my road bike. I am already running 28mm tires at lower pressures which noticeably helps, but can't go any wider due to clearances.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like a good time to implement N+1 for a high volume ride.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Thank you for the response! I am looking for something to soften the jarring a bit more on my road bike. I am already running 28mm tires at lower pressures which noticeably helps, but can't go any wider due to clearances.
    The ShockStop is more effective against big'ish hits (potholes, washboard/ruts, rocks, etc...) than it is against road vibration. There might be some marginal gains in terms of fatigue when riding on good tarmac, but it really shines on the bumpy stuff.

For me, there was a noticeable improvement in the fatigue in my hands/arms/shoulders after a long mixed surface century, where about half of the road was either poor pavement and the other half rough gravel/dirt roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    i bought one when they first came out. Rode it for about a year and loved it. I have it on two bikes now, and have put them on the girlfriends bikes as well. If you want to save your time, the service
    https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/ will be helpful in your studies. It will provide you with good essay examples.

I also would like to make my bike better, I hope that elastomers will look fantastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyAdams View Post

[/FONT][/SIZE]

I also would like to make my bike better, I hope that elastomers will look fantastic.

I'm pretty sure this is a SPAMMER. That second quote is *NOT* me, and I surely didn't post that link....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Some other options for reducing road shock...

• Double-wrapping handlebar tape.
      I personally am a big fan of Lizard Skins DSP tape. Two layers of that tape would offer considerable shock absorption (although would cost almost as much as the shock obsorbing stem!)
    • Gel padding under handlebar tape, like Trek's IsoZone pads. I have these under my Lizard Skin tape. I'll admit that they make it a little bit more difficult to tape the bars, but the end result is a fatter bar, more cushy bar that fits my big hands better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Some other options for reducing road shock...

• Double-wrapping handlebar tape.
      I personally am a big fan of Lizard Skins DSP tape. Two layers of that tape would offer considerable shock absorption (although would cost almost as much as the shock obsorbing stem!)
    • Gel padding under handlebar tape, like Trek's IsoZone pads. I have these under my Lizard Skin tape. I'll admit that they make it a little bit more difficult to tape the bars, but the end result is a fatter bar, more cushy bar that fits my big hands better.
    I do double wrap the Lizard Skins 2.5 mm tape on the upper part of the bar (no need for it on the drops). I don't like the gel pads though. My hands sink into them and it seems to cause numbness.

Double Wrapping (and the gel) are good for the road buzz, as long as you don't mind the extra thickness. My girlfriend has tiny hands and can't stand the double wrapped bars.

[REDACTED]
    I'm pretty sure this is a SPAMMER. That second quote is *NOT* me, and I surely didn't post that link....
    And I am certainly NOT going to click on it!

Ramshackle
    Nov 2019
    I have that Redshift suspension stem. Been using it for more than a month. It was bought to to soften the ride on rough roads. Since it was ordered from Amazon I figured I could return it. Anyway, I ended up liking it. the only problem I encountered is that I started off with the softest insert and after a while it became too soft. Just installed the next level and I'll see if it will hold its firmness.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramshackle View Post
    I have that Redshift suspension stem. Been using it for more than a month. It was bought to to soften the ride on rough roads. Since it was ordered from Amazon I figured I could return it. Anyway, I ended up liking it. the only problem I encountered is that I started off with the softest insert and after a while it became too soft. Just installed the next level and I'll see if it will hold its firmness.
    Or it could just be that what you first perceived as a nice lofty feel because an annoying bob after awhile. Possibly?

I plan on installing it as-is and then going from there if I find it too soft or too stiff.

Ramshackle
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Or it could just be that what you first perceived as a nice lofty feel because an annoying bob after awhile. Possibly?

I plan on installing it as-is and then going from there if I find it too soft or too stiff.
    I don't think it was only my perception. The last couple of rides I could push my handlebar down slightly, which never happened before. It makes sense that a rubber elastomer would soften after a while.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramshackle View Post
    I don't think it was only my perception. The last couple of rides I could push my handlebar down slightly, which never happened before. It makes sense that a rubber elastomer would soften after a while.
    Hmmm. I guess being this is a relatively new product, longevity is yet to be determined. I guess there have to be a few of us Guinea pigs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Both of mine did the same thing. The elastomers softened a bit after the first few rides. Once I re-adjusted, they have been fine since over several thousand miles...

Ramshackle
    Nov 2019
    How did you re-adjust? Did you readjust the elastomers? I can't see how they can be readjusted--I'm only using one that it is a flatbar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Initially, I just re-tightned the bolt to the original specs. This worked fine, however, I decided I wanted a little less 'flex', and ultimately decided to go one 'setting' stiffer than their recommendations in order to reduce the flex a bit.

I think there is an initial break-in on the system. Once everything has been seated and ridden a bit, just re-tightening the bolt will reduce any play.

RoadBikeReview Member

I put it on two road bikes also. Excellent product. Makes up for the fact my road bike can't fit 28mm tires.

I also use a Cane Creek Thudbuster roadie seat post. That makes much more of a difference imho. So smooth it feels like I have 15psi in the rear.

together it delivers something like a Specialized Roubaix with more effective buzz-removal and none of the proprietary restrictions
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know