Should I get a Hybrid flatbar Road bike or a MTB or a Fuji Sportif Road Bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014

Trying to decide here.

The Sportif 2.3 is a really sweet bike from Fuji and it has a longer stem so it is a bit more friendly to non road bikers now getting into the sport as compared to the roubaix one thats geared more aggressively.

But my Commute to work is only 4 miles. And the strap on pedals on the road bike looks like a nightmare.

I think I would prefer to just rest my feet on normal pedals and ride off than deal with pushing my feet inside a pedal I am not sure if I can ever like something like that I mean whats the point of that anyways?

I wonder if you can ride it flipped upside down?

Then I am thinking maybe a cheap mountain bike might do the trick.
    I have school fees coming up and was thinking of not wasting too much money.

I am from the Caribbean so the Fuji 2.3 sportif will indeed cost me around $800 US

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    you can easily change to flat pedals on the road bike, or, depending on the pedals, just take the straps off and use normally.

EDIT: looks like you should just be able to take off the straps and run as a flat pedal.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    sounds good didn't know the straps can come out.

A lot of people are trying to persuade me not to spend so much money on a bike they think its a waste of money. And I am thinking maybe they are right.

I am thinking I could pretty much get a Mountain bike for half this price a Fuji Nevada 1.9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah sure, makes sense, with a 4 mile commute you don't need a road bike, but then you don't have to spend so much on a road bike either.
    But it all just depends, a cheap mountain bike may do you perfectly well for years, or it may fall to bits in weeks. also it depends on what you define as cheap.
    All the gear and no idea

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Mountain bikes are geared with a different ratio than a road bike. Road bikes are going to get you there quicker. Do you plan on riding the bike on a sidewalk? If yes, is the sidewalk pretty flat and smooth, or does it have cracks and bumps? If yes, then maybe not a MTB, but rather, a hybrid bike with shock absorbers.

Is the surface you're riding on pretty smooth and flat, like a bike path on a road? If yes, the road bike or hybrid bike would work best.

Now, for the bikes you're looking at. Does the road bike have 700 x 25 tires or 700 x 23? Either one of those would be kind of rough to ride on a sidewalk. You'd be breaking quite a bit to go over the rough areas. Tires with a narrower width are best ridden on the road, hence, road bike.

What size tires does the hybrid bike have? 700 x 32 or 700 x 38? Either would work much better for sidewalks or even on the road.

The question you have to ask yourself is, are you going to do any other riding besides to and from work? Are you going to use it to run to the store and back to pick up a few items? If so, a hybrid bike would work best. Most hybrids have eyelets to mount a rear rack and you could get pannier bags to put your store bought items in.

Or, do you plan on getting in more miles for fitness? Maybe plan on riding 10-20 miles or so? Maybe want to go faster? Then a road bike would be in order.

Personally, I have both a road bike and a flat bar hybrid bike. They both serve two different purposes for me.

As far as pedals go, they're a dime a dozen for ones you just pedal. Most bikes will have a set of push pedals on them already, except road bikes.

As far as cost, those that think they're too expensive are used to seeing "department store bikes". Don't go there to buy a bike. Those bikes are usually very low priced and have no quality.

You can get a decent aluminum framed road bike or hybrid bike at a reasonable price at your local bike shop. Ask the shop if they can get you a 2012 or 2013 model. You'll save a few hundred bucks over the 2014 models.

δanned
    I'd personally recommend a MTB since the commute is so short. Energy conservation and efficiency won't necessarily be that important. The advantage to an MTB is you can traverse surfaces other than asphalt without damaging the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And the strap on pedals on the road bike looks like a nightmare.

I think I would prefer to just rest my feet on normal pedals and ride off than deal with pushing my feet inside a pedal I am not sure if I can ever like something like that I mean whats the point of that anyways
    It's not anything approaching a nightmare; for most people it's very easy to learn and it's no big deal.

The point is to keep your feet securely in the right place on the pedal when you turn the pedals fast, or when you stand up. It works. It makes riding safer and more fun, most of the time. It's not absolutely necessary, and you can ride with ordinary flat pedals. But don't reject it under the misconception that it's difficult, at least until you give it a try.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post
    Trying to decide here.

The Sportif 2.3 is a really sweet bike from Fuji and it has a longer stem so it is a bit more friendly to non road bikers now getting into the sport as compared to the roubaix one thats geared more aggressively.

But my Commute to work is only 4 miles. And the strap on pedals on the road bike looks like a nightmare.

I think I would prefer to just rest my feet on normal pedals and ride off than deal with pushing my feet inside a pedal I am not sure if I can ever like something like that I mean whats the point of that anyways?

I wonder if you can ride it flipped upside down?

I am from the Caribbean so the Fuji 2.3 sportif will indeed cost me around $800 US
    Didn't you mention on the other thread that you're 250 lbs (working on losing more)?

and you sold your Mountain bike?

If so... the Sportif 2.3.... I fear the wheelset would not be appropriate for your weight... depending on its rim design, you may be pushing its limits.

pedals are replaceable. Plus... you can always remove the straps
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Hi yes I am indeed 250 lbs and I an worried a roadie 22 pounder won't hold my weight and I also will have to ride on some bumpy payvemnts aka side walks.

It will be mostly flat roads though.

I decided against spending so much money and I am a obese person I cannot use regular road bike seats because I get penis cramps.

Fuji has some hybrids like the absolute 2.1 that has 35mm tires more suited for my size and also I have a gel comfort seat by sunlite cloud 9 with shocks.

I am thinking either fuji Nevada 1.9mtb or the absolute 2.1 or 2.3 they seem slightly more hybrid then the 1.4 absolute that's a true road bike with flat bars.

But I know a flat bar will be more comfortable for me and easier to handle.

I did hear a talk about roadies putting u in a position where you can feel you are ready to sprint forward compared to flat bars hybrid that makes it feel like you are pedaling a sewing machine.

I will be honest this bike will be for 4 mile work commute and getting groceries.

NY LBS told me be patient the sales girl said wait for the new stocks its a huge container of absolute hybrids coming in.

So I want to do that. This way I can also have my money for my final year bsc in computing.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I'm going to mirror what I said in the other thread.

I would go flat-bar... one of the Absolute series bikes... get the most affordable one that fits your needs, for the commute & groceries.

Set yourself a target weight and start setting money aside for a drop bar road bike as a reward. The road bike can be used for longer rides. If you only have space for a single bike... then reward yourself by upgrading to a cyclocross bike with an extra wheelset (heavy duty for commuting with the big tires and a nice set for the weekend long rides with skinny tires)
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    you can easily change to flat pedals on the road bike, or, depending on the pedals, just take the straps off and use normally.

EDIT: looks like you should just be able to take off the straps and run as a flat pedal.
    Bad advice... unless the manufacturer makes a statement that this is possible. Most pedals build this way aren't meant to run without straps and will be a safety hazard (especially in rainy conditions, as you will have no grip/traction on a smooth surface pedal). Get different pedals or keep the straps. Straps are good anyways, although I'd prefer to clip in... either way, you'll feel more attached and confident in a sprint or standing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Hi thanks I am going to do exactly that.

I have space for tons of bikes so space isn't an issue. What I love about the cheaper fuji absolute as well is the chain guard this way my work pants won't get hook up in the teeth.

I am a jump on a bike and get go kind of guy. So you are right I am waiting and best part she said they are getting a 40 foot container of fuji absolute bikes from a warehouse in Miami.

It takes 2 weeks for the ship to travel from Miami to the Caribbean here.

Would be so awesome if the absolute 2.1 is matte paint. A hidden link extension on google to fuji websites says it is indeed matte black.

Best of all she also says they getting 2013 and 2012 absolute at discounted price. Woooot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post
    No one else thought this was humorous (with an element of backhanded compliment).

OP premise - bikes are a waste of money.

If I were going to purchase something that I viewed as a waste of money, I would buy the cheapest thing possible that would do what I needed it to do.

Go find a walmart, garage sale, or thrift store bike. I am sure there is POS bike (that still functions as a bike) for far less than $800.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    So I got my new Bike today, not from the same local bike shop but one out of town.

Its a Giant Revel 3. Pretty sweet bike it was $2700 TT which is about $430 USD but I asked the owner for a discount and he was nice enough to give me it for $2550.

I really love this bike it has street tires. Not pure street but like a mixture of offroad and street however if you look at it, geared a lot more towards asphalt. I was going for a road bike but due to university fees that I am saving up for I could not make it "And also the fact I am too obese for a road bike I could buy a hybrid MTB to lose weight and in a few years when I get slim I could reward myself with a nice roadbike"

but at the same time I didn't want a crappy steel frame 3rd world bike neither. And this GIANT fit the bill quite lovely even has Alloy rims with stainless steel spokes just like those expensive bikes. Everything is aluminum. And as an added bonus I got my Linear pull V brake which is all I need for my road use and replacing pads is a breeze and if needed I can go on Amazon and buy a whole brake setup for $20. Its so much easier to manage than Disk Brakes I don't regret anything about this bike. Its quite a looker.

I originally wanted the hybrid fuji absolute which was more hybrid than this, however when I called today the person said maybe in 3 weeks time, mind you they said in 2 weeks time more than 1 week ago and the date keeps going further and further and I needed transport to go to work because there is no transport where I work at the Airport for those weird late hours.
    This bike was far Cheaper I mean this is $2550 and the absolute 2.1 is atleast $3200. And it fits the bill just right its not a cheap POS bike its a high quality bike from a big name like GIANT. Its perfect to be honest I could not ever ask for anything more I am 100% satisfied with it. And for the price it was a STEAL $430 USD is quite cheap for such good quality if you ask me. And the thing is getting a bike in stock and in my size is a nightmare in this country.

And they had the black color I wanted anyways.

Revel_3.jpg

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Congrats on the new bike, but you're message is kind of jumbled. You went back and forth and I was confused as to what you were writing.

So, let me get this straight. You bought the Giant Revel 3 for $430? The Revel 3 is a hybrid bike with street tires and front shocks.

Where i got confused was the $2770 and getting it for $2550. So basically, you were looking at a TT bike that was $2770 but the owner was going to sell it at a discount to you after you asked for $2550, but you didn't buy it? Correct?

Riding a bike, just like any other form of exercise, will help you lose weight, but you also need to consume more nutritious food and cut back on calories as well. And watch what you drink. Carbonated, sugary beverages are known to aid in weight gain. And so do they energy drinks that are full of more calories, caffeine, and other ingredients that aren't good for you.

Congrats on the new Revel 3.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    So basically, you were looking at a TT bike that was $2770
    TT or TTD = Trinidad and Tobego Dollar. 1 USD = 6.38 TTD.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Oh, Sorry. I didn't know you were outside the USA. Brain Fart!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Hi there yes sorry for not being clear enough.

my currency is TTD and 1 TTD = $6.38 USD

Matching a US currency is really hard for a tiny Caribbean island like ours in Trinidad and Tobago. But I think we do decent enough at $6.38 to $1

They tried once to get it to $5 TT for $1 US but they could not do it, the US dollar is a strong currency. So we hover just over the $6 mark.

And yeah the fast food is my number problem. I have lost 20 pounds and 4 inches cycling to work in the last 4 months, however I could have done much better if I wasn't eating fast food.

Fried Chicken and Chips has gotten to an extraordinarily cheap rate down here, you can get 2 piece fried chicken and chips for $15 TT which is like slightly over $2 US.
    I think its possible that this is even cheaper than America? Its always so easy and convenient go just buy that.

But I cannot keep making that an excuse I must atleast substitute it for nutritious bread even if its bread alone or bread and some spicy string beans etc.

I developed a little trick for nighttime. I can now successfully eat quaker oats boiled with no milk. Just oats and water ALONE. It has helped me a lot.

December I am starting my final year in my BSc Computing and Information Systems Degree with University of Greenwich thats offered locally. And I am trying to save up that 1700 pounds to do so. If I did it with London metropolitan university it would only cost $1000 Pounds but the thing is thats a Bsc in Business computing. Though I suspect there will be little difference in getting a Job with either since in this industry they are mainly looking for experience. All thats available are Database jobs like designer or administrator anyways. So I am not sure how much the tougher programming modules in the greenwich degree would benefit me in real life.

So as you guys can see by buying this Giant for $2550 I saved $2450 from the $5k I was originally planning to use on a road bike. Every little bit counts in the end.

thanks to GIANT all of this is now possible I got best of both worlds
    you can't help but love this company even though a lot of people say they sold out the Americans to cheap Chinese labor. But then Cannondale ad Trek etc all did the same, almost everything on this planet is made in Asia now.
    Last edited by john5220; 03-02-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Enjoy the bike
    and