should I get the sapim cx-spokes

Apr 2004

should I get the sapim cx-spokes

this link from zipp is pushing me to get them. They're expensive but I dont care.

http://www.zipp.com/tech/documents/Anoteonspokeshape_000.pdf#search='most%20aerodynam ic%20spokes'

Resident Dutchbag
    Yes. You should. They are good spokes, now get some nice hubs and aerorims to go with them.
    Last edited by rogger; 01-11-2006 at 09:23 AM. Reason: my arms are longer than my legs.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

BBJ

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmael
    this link from zipp is pushing me to get them. They're expensive but I dont care.

http://www.zipp.com/tech/documents/Anoteonspokeshape_000.pdf#search='most%20aerodynam ic%20spokes'

What are you going to do with these spokes?

I heart team Zissou!

I'd save your money

this link from zipp is pushing me to get them. They're expensive but I dont care. http://www.zipp.com/tech/documents/Anoteonspokeshape_000.pdf#search='most%20aerodynam ic%20spokes'
    With a little practice and some elbow grease, you can hammer down the 1.8 central butted section of DT Competitions to a pretty consistent .09 mm section. While you don't necessarily get the weight savings, you do get a distinct aero advantage. My own experience is that about 12% of these "modified" spokes tend to break while building up the wheel due to excessive wind-up but if they survive the build, you are good to go!

Always one to look to re-use materials, I have found that, once heat sterilised, the broken spoke ends are quite effective in for lancing boils.

Hope that helps!

;-)

Philippe
    Biking round the world -- Where have I been with my bike?

BBJ

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by philippec
    With a little practice and some elbow grease, you can hammer down the 1.8 central butted section of DT Competitions to a pretty consistent .09 mm section. While you don't necessarily get the weight savings, you do get a distinct aero advantage. My own experience is that about 12% of these "modified" spokes tend to break while building up the wheel due to excessive wind-up but if they survive the build, you are good to go!

Always one to look to re-use materials, I have found that, once heat sterilised, the broken spoke ends are quite effective in for lancing boils.

Hope that helps!

;-)

Philippe
    What a smashing idea!!! These spokes should actually be stronger, due to cold working the steel.

Jun 2004

Definitely...

Dang man, you'd have the hottest bike out there in the cat. 5 races, and sporting your aero helmet, you'd be sure to take the win every weekend.

Apr 2004

you are righ

this is true. I will look like a million bucks, I will feel like a million, I will have spent close to a million, and I'll have the propensity to win the 100 dollar prize money. the logic is sound it's all worth it.
    I've decided against the helmet though. Not cool enough looking. if the other cool looking time trial helmest were legal I'd be in one though. I go faster when I feel slick.
    I just found myself looking at one-piece aero suits, but I cant find one that is cool enough looking to put my cool self in.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by philippec

Hope that helps!

;-)

Philippe
    Thanks phillippe that's an interesting idea, but i need to save all my elbow grease for use in the bedoir (bedroom).

Jun 2004
    I would stay away from the Sapim spokes. According to several websites, large numbers of Eritreans have been gravely injured tossing Sapim Spoke Molds.

FTF
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    I would stay away from the Sapim spokes. According to several websites, large numbers of Eritreans have been gravely injured tossing Sapim Spoke Molds.
    Yeah, and breaking their toes from flattening the spokes with 40lb sledgehammers.

Apr 2004
    ooo that brings to mind thoughts of broken spokes going through my oo-so-soft flesh in a crash. those things would get you an extra couple of years if you had one in prison. Not allowed on airplanes probably. very dangerous, and to think they're wizzing around just 3 feet below my head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks phillippe that's an interesting idea, but i need to save all my elbow grease for use in the bedoir (bedroom).
    forget the elbow grease,

water based lubes are the best option

for your chain, not your bike's

Apr 2004

what I'm going to do

2x and 3x in the rear with 24 and 28 respectively on my custom made Mack large rim track hubs and those new fancy Monubium or whatever aluminum rims that weigh almost nothing and are 30mm deep. what do you think and do you have any advice on building them up?