RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Sizing/Geo advice?

There's a SLIM chance I'll be ordering a new bike in the next 72 hours. If I do, I'm unsure about which size to get. I currently ride a Felt z85 in 54 and I'm quite happy with the fit. (I had very minor adjustments needed during my bike fit. They said I was between the 54 and 56, we went smaller and added a longer stem.)

The Breezer Radar seems to have a pretty different geometry and I'm thinking the 51 is a better choice for me. (I'm aiming for long-haul comfort with this purchase, not aggressive positioning and speed.)

Anybody know how to read these geo charts and willing to make a recommendation? Many, many thanks for any opinions.

Current Bike: 2014 Felt z85 size 54
    Geometry Chart for 2014 Felt z85
    Sizing/Geo advice?-feltz85geo.jpeg

Potential Bike: Breezer Radar Expert size 51? 54?
    Geometry chart for Breezer Radar Expert
    Sizing/Geo advice?-breezerradarexpertgeo.jpeg

RoadBikeReview Member
    STACK and REACH are your most important numbers. Next is stand over height.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. I see some (seemingly) large discrepancies there. Any advice on whether to go bigger/smaller? My current bike is an "endurance road" bike, so that might account for some of these differences.

Breezer 51 Felt 54 (current bike) Breezer 54
    Stack 602 561 616
    Reach 371 382 378
    Standover 763 726 792

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thinking this through over lunch, I think the 51 is the way to go.
    Stack:
    The higher stack across both models tells me a little about this bike's general arrangement compared to my Felt. But my Felt's seat tube is being run at basically the minimum insertion point, so a 41mm stack increase is likely manageable.
    Reach:
    The Breezer has a shorter reach across the board as well. But I could always go with a longer stem if I needed to.

Sound thinking?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The greater standover on both sizes should be of concern. You want at least 2 inches between the top tube and your crotch. If your saddle post is indeed slammed all the way down in the frame of your Felt, then neither of those Breezer frames will fit you.

It's pretty obvious that the Breezer has a much more relaxed geometry than your Felt.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for your reply.
    Actually my saddle post on the Felt is the opposite of slammed. It's basically extended as far as it can be.
    Sizing/Geo advice?-img_2682.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh, OK. I misunderstood. Still, the size 51 Breezer standover is 1.5 inches higher than your current bike.

Is there any way you can test ride beforehand?

banned
    Sep 2015
    If you can walk between Shaq's legs and not hit your head: size 51cm

If you walk between the big fellows legs and bump your head, aside from not wanting to be you: size 54cm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Just had a very helpful chat session with rep at Performance Bike. The geo chart I pasted above was from Breezer's website... and it's wrong. The chat agent confirmed this with Breezer. On the chart I posted, the effective top tube measurements were fairly far out of whack. I haven't done a deep dive to compare this chart to those Performance has online, but based on that conversation, the size 51 is looking like the right choice.

Thanks for your time helping me work this out using bad data.

RoadBikeReview Member
    BTW, how tall are you and what is your inseam measurement?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 5'9" with a (roughly) 33" inseam - I haven't done the "slam a book up your crotch" measurement in a few years.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoneCloneMN View Post
    I'm 5'9" with a (roughly) 33" inseam - I haven't done the "slam a book up your crotch" measurement in a few years.
    If you haven't done it in a few years, then long overdue. Book up own crotch should be performed every leap year mostly for blood flow but word to the wise, don't do it to Shaq.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoneCloneMN View Post
    So you have proportionally long legs and a short torso. In that case, I doubt standover height will be a problem with either of those frames unless there is something else I am missing.