Slaying the badger on Netflix now
    RoadBikeReview Member

It's a really good cycling movie. Watched it last night.

My impression is that Greg's old manager on la vie Clair is lying about a few things, but other things he isn't.

Example he says he told Greg to attack Zimmerman while chasing the badger in the 1986 tour. Greg remembers it differently, but the video shows (IMHO) that after talking to the manager Greg goes balastic off the front and rides Zimmerman off his wheel.

Well produced and very interesting.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Watched it and it seems like things get a bit political so to say once you reach that level and there really isn't ONE person that wins the tour imo. They however create a illusion as to which the status quo deem one as such.
    Also interesting towards the end that they mentioned trying to break that cycling era and compete with new gen cyclists who were using drugs to enhance stamina, muscle synthesis, etc... (maybe they were just getting old and worn out)
    So pretty much to compete on such a level in the sport you must use every edge possible. (to rank highly at least)

The part where the dude flew off the 10 foot drop off the road was crazy lol.
    Last edited by FullRageAce; 11-16-2014 at 04:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did enjoy it, I couldn't work out with GL was a nice kid who was exploited or a total egomaniac, and maybe that wives in cycling should say less? I remember thinking that when Cavs stripper wife was talking on TV also. I think GLs wife had a lot to say and I would be more interested in her having her own platform. Being a casual observer of cycling, that could easily be something I have missed. I did really like the abruptness in the doco about the entrance of real PEDs and it being the end of an era. Totally shallow but what a nice house LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm of the opinion it was both he was a bit of a prima Donna, and that he was being or trying to be exploited.
    Partners in life can help or hurt. I kinda wonder if she didn't make it worse by feeding that persecution complex.
    Andy hampstein was a nice addition.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    It's a really good cycling movie. Watched it last night.

My impression is that Greg's old manager on la vie Clair is lying about a few things, but other things he isn't.

Example he says he told Greg to attack Zimmerman while chasing the badger in the 1986 tour. Greg remembers it differently, but the video shows (IMHO) that after talking to the manager Greg goes balastic off the front and rides Zimmerman off his wheel.

Well produced and very interesting.

Bill
    Sounds good, will probably watch it tonight. Thanks for the recommendation

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Thank you! I missed this when it was on espn and have Netflix.

Very much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Thoughts on this film:
    1. Lemond comes off as rightfully aggrieved but just a bit naive, a bit childish and more than a little whiney. The archetypal FOB American fish in a European shark tank (to mix a metaphor).
    2. Hinault comes off as a ferocious competitor. He's a blatant backstabber but a backstabber with good reason. He won both TTs, he rode with more panache than Lemond and he acted like a champion. Again, a jerk but one you can rally behind.
    3. Hampsten looks like he hasn't aged a day and is hilarious.
    4. Keochli is a deeply creepy and cranky slimeball. Lemond was dead right about that guy.
    5. Tapie is the missing piece of the puzzle. The movie is missing something without interviewing him.
    6. The technical aspects of the production are excellent: awesome vintage footage, great La Vie Claire inspired graphics, solid editing, tight direction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I would also recommend Rising From Ashes which is also on Netflix.

donuts?
    Kathy was as much a part of Greg's cycling career as Greg was - without her, he would have never succeeded - she really anchored him, and to a large extent, still does. every important thing that happened, she was there, literally. Greg was in over his head, and having her there helped him focus on cycling - she was able to tend to everything else.

notice the comments about the food. think about the stress and fear that must exist to be concerned about your food. and then think about what it means to have someone you can trust to feed you. in a stage race. insanity.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    dam wish they had this on Netflix in Canada, but they do not
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    There are ways to get American netflix in canada... Also, it is available on Youtube, that's where I originally watched it.

Its a good film, really insightful. The tech is what stuck with me. Like Greg being one of the first to use a TT bike (which looked ridiculous and wouldn't be legal) and the introduction of clipless pedals (he should get his money for that).
    Aspiring Racer and Wannabe Blogger
    http://thewannaberacer.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Thoughts on this film:
    1. Lemond comes off as rightfully aggrieved but just a bit naive, a bit childish and more than a little whiney. The archetypal FOB American fish in a European shark tank (to mix a metaphor).
    2. Hinault comes off as a ferocious competitor. He's a blatant backstabber but a backstabber with good reason. He won both TTs, he rode with more panache than Lemond and he acted like a champion. Again, a jerk but one you can rally behind.
    3. Hampsten looks like he hasn't aged a day and is hilarious.
    4. Keochli is a deeply creepy and cranky slimeball. Lemond was dead right about that guy.
    5. Tapie is the missing piece of the puzzle. The movie is missing something without interviewing him.
    6. The technical aspects of the production are excellent: awesome vintage footage, great La Vie Claire inspired graphics, solid editing, tight direction.
    Agree about Tapie, great piece, I am French and the Badger always was an Arshole, but could back it up, Lemond should have hooked up with the boys from 7 Eleven that would have been something, Clearly shows the na´ve American getting pushed around from all sides. The Tour, cant get enough of it!!
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I watched it about a month ago when it was on ESPN and really enjoyed it. It does help if you know a little bit of older cycling history.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    hey good news for Canadians and other countries. The Youtube app in my Apple TV updated yesterday. Did a search for this movie ... boom it came up! Watched it in HD, REALLY enjoyed it, great memories and some new insights on history too. Hope the content stays up on YT for more to enjoy.

Koechli - eww. My wife will have a new guy to hate in cycling, LOL. Though you know as a racing fan I kind of do appreciate the extra drama and fight between these two titans, who really should have been on different teams. So we can thank the very odd Koechli for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Koechli - eww. My wife will have a new guy to hate in cycling, LOL. Though you know as a racing fan I kind of do appreciate the extra drama and fight between these two titans, who really should have been on different teams. So we can thank the very odd Koechli for that.
    In 1984, Fignon, Hinault, and LeMond finished 1, 2, 3 on the podium, with Greg supporting Fignon. Hinault wanted Greg on La Vie Clair. He persuaded Tapie to offer him a million bucks to get him. The "gentlemen's agreement", ie, "you support me in 1985 and I'll support you in 1986" was supposedly part of the understanding between them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh I didn't mean Koechli put them on the same team. I mean Koechli invoked a race strategy of 'every rider for himself,' no domestiques, no teamwork to speak of on La Vie Claire in 1986. Koechli and Hinault seemed willing to default on their agreement with Greg. But it is true, this made the race a lot more interesting - and Koechli and Tapie seemed motivated to fuel the intrigue and spectacle, at the cost of teamwork.

I don;t think they were entirely wrong to do so. I think it hurts the Tour to have too much of this conspiracy to let someone win quid pro quo, causing a Tour that becomes a bit more boring, a parade more than a head to head race between the best to the bitter end.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 12-10-2014 at 01:44 PM.

fu
    Proxy servers are your friends.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don;t think they were entirely wrong to do so. I think it hurts the Tour to have too much of this conspiracy to let someone win quid pro quo, causing a Tour that becomes a bit more boring, a parade more than a head to head race between the best to the bitter end.
    So like in 2012 when Froome was obviously stronger than Wiggins but was forced to wait for him.
    Aspiring Racer and Wannabe Blogger
    http://thewannaberacer.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh I didn't mean Koechli put them on the same team. I mean Koechli invoked a race strategy of 'every rider for himself,' no domestiques, no teamwork to speak of on La Vie Claire in 1986. Koechli and Hinault seemed willing to default on their agreement with Greg. But it is true, this made the race a lot more interesting - and Koechli and Tapie seemed motivated to fuel the intrigue and spectacle, at the cost of teamwork.

I think Koechli may have dreamt of a La Vie Claire sweep of the podium, and it didn't matter much to him whether it was the Badger, LeMond or Hampsten on the top step.

I don't have any trouble believing Andy when he says that Koechli gave him the OK to go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also seems to be a disconnect between what Koechli says he said and what Lemond, Hampsten and other say Koechli said. Under the heat of a hard race, no radios, I think it not surprising at all that the meaning of what a rider perceived could easily be different than what Koechli intended. But this is really the first time I have had the opportunity to hear about what went on off-camera. Still too much of an armchair perspective to know the truth about it.

I don't have strong opinion either way. Hinault and Koechli .. were just being 'French,' (er French and Swiss) which is to say more macho and that irked the Americans.

As for Froome and Wiggins... well that is a whole other thread, whole different dynamic. Great champions whom I also admire.