so I lost a bunch of weight
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

so I lost a bunch of weight

over the past 6-7 months, and now all I get are comments about "how tired I look", "how skinny I am", "don't lose any more weight", etc, etc. Here's the deal:
    I am 38, and since about 20, i weighed 200-215. up until 3 years ago I was really into heavy weightlifting(you know big bench, etc). I weighed 215 and wore a 46 jacket. I am 5'11. I started training/racing seriously 2 seasons ago and coming into this year I decided that I needed to improve my BF, and my power/weight. So I slimmed down a bit. at 186 I measured out at 9% BF. I am 180 today and am probably 7-8% BF. so at 180, 5'11, I'm not exactly looking like a castaway. I am quite vascular. I still have biceps and a chest. I though the "lean" look was in? Not to mentioned that for the first time in years I can buy a normal shirt and not look like a stuffed sausage. But I'm sick of all the comments. I don't plan to go lower then 180. does anybody else get these comments?

Yo no fui.
    I think you look great. Don't let the fact that we've never met both you.

I have a friend from Nebraska. He's about 6'1 or so and weighs 165-170 lbs and is fit as a fiddle, as they say. Back in the homeland, he's always getting comments about how he looks emaciated. No such comments in Colorado. It's all relative.

Plus, our view of "normal" is skewed by the fact that 66% or so of the population is overweight.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Formosan Cyclocross
    People are used to the heavy version.
    I got the same thing after I took three months off from exercise with an injury followed by taking my in-laws on a trip around America...forcing myself to drink beer and eat crap for their "experience". They got used to me a little thicker, so when I lost the weight again I was "too thin".

People are funny that way about weight. I had a friend who was dating an alcoholic, so she'd have him out drinking and eating fried chicken and pigs feet all the time. She got fatter and he, a really skinny guy, got this weird looking paunch. It was so bad his shirt buttons were opening up. He couldn't see it. So one day I thought I'd broach the subject... to convince him to maybe make some better ...er...choices.

He told me I had an "unhealthy view of body image" because I was in my 30's and still trying to eat healthy and keep 6-pack abs.

He later dumped the biatch, joined me in the gym, changed his diet and lost the weight.
    Last edited by Dajianshan; 06-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I usually get the comments that I have lost weight but I think folks are just being polite.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Bacon!
    People are used to this:

when they look around them and look in the mirror.

Not this:

So when they see you they get all confused. Trust me, I get told I'm too skinny all the time and I am FAR from that at 12%-13% BF and 180lbs 5'11". Just ignore them and live your life.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

I ride in circles..
    I've lost close to 40 pounds this year thanks to my bike and better eating habits. Honestly people say things like that because they're sometimes jealous and don't understand why you're doing it. I've actually had the nurse where I work ask me if I'm ok and if I'm eating alright... She's seen me eat... I think I cleared her fears on that one...

If you're happy with your body then rock on. If not. Do something about it. Those that feel the same about their body as you, are going to think you look great. Others.. not so much.

Good job getting fit!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup...I've gotten all of those comments.

Over the past 18 months or so I've lost approximately 100 pounds going from 286 to about 190 right now and am sitting around 12% body fat or so.

When I tell people I still want to lose another 10 pounds they ask me why? Then proceed to tell me I'm already too skinny....I look at the small roll on my stomach and say, I still have a bit to lose.

As others have said, underlying jealousy has a lot to play with it as does the current body image out there. Most people also tend to remember you the way you were, not the way you are and it's different to them and honestly....people don't like different/change.

Just tell them your healthy, fit and feel great and that they should try it sometime...that usually shuts them up pretty quick.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

May 2008
    Maybe in an odd way trhey are trying to compliment you. I used to get "If you don't gain some weight you will blow away" comments all the time when I was younger. Now that I'm older and fatter, I long for those days where I heard those comments. So, take them as compliments and just say thank-you.

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    when they look around them and look in the mirror.

Not this:

So when they see you they get all confused. Trust me, I get told I'm too skinny all the time and I am FAR from that at 12%-13% BF and 180lbs 5'11". Just ignore them and live your life.
    How did you manage to secretly take my picture during my warm up set?

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    thanks guys. I know that I am fit. I grew up xc-ski racing so I am no stranger to being lean. I guess when I went through the body-building phase that is whats stuck in people's mind. when you have a weight lifter body, its obvious to everyone all the time. if you can win a Crit, its not obvious to most people most of the time.

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007
    I've been getting the same sorts of comments lately. I'm only 5'4", so I give that disclaimer to put my weight into perspective. I was 166 pounds 9 months ago, my heaviest ever. I'm down to 139 right now because of a lot of biking and running, and would like to lose another 7-8 pounds. My wife tells me I'll look "sunken", but I know that I can do it and remain healthy because of the way my body composition is. There's definitely room to tone up the last remaining problem areas......the belly & chest.

I truly think sometimes that people just project their laziness onto you when you start working harder to get your health in check. What they don't realize is that they could do the same thing and make a lot of progress, too. And they also don't realize that you start to feel much better about yourself, feel more energetic, and happier (well, generally.....), so why try to discourage that?

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    thanks guys. I know that I am fit. I grew up xc-ski racing so I am no stranger to being lean. I guess when I went through the body-building phase that is whats stuck in people's mind. when you have a weight lifter body, its obvious to everyone all the time. if you can win a Crit, its not obvious to most people most of the time.
    Like I said, it's all relative. I got really into weight lifting and got up to 185 lbs being 5'11" with little to no body fat. That got lame and I started riding bikes a lot more. I dropped a lot of weight and still weigh about 165-170 lbs with plenty (probably too much) muscle mass. I saw a friend's dad a while ago. I knew the dad when I was into weight lifting. He says something about how much weight I've lost. Was I fat back then?, I thought. I didn't think so. Am I now skinny? I'm a beast compared to flyweight roadies. Whatever. You can't rrad too much into other people's comments.